Can you disembark on top of a Rhino...

dizzy-xc

Was playing my Black Templars and had this chaos rhino surrounded totally with my squad. My power glove marine rolls a 5 destroyed result on the DPC and the chaos player measures from my bases to his bases after deploying on top of his rhino and says his squad inside isnt destroyed and he's fine. Did I get conned?

If that were the case, and indeed I did surround the rhino with the intention of making sure his marines couldnt disembark and were also destroyed, but for the next game if thats legal, can I not also clamber on top of a rhino's top to deny him that? And how would such a move be attempted? Difficult or dangerous terrain?

Page 67 of the rulebook, has a lovely column, effects of damage results on passengers,

Any model the cannot disembark are destroyed

Remember that the tank must be fully surrounded, not just the doors blocked.

*edit*

If the rhino is fully surrounded, the squad inside dies even on an explodes result,

The squad may disembark in the space left by the rhino, but given a rhino chassis is only 3" wide and 4.5" long, only two models can be deployed more than 1" from the assaulting enemy

You did say it was a rhino in your post:p blocking the doors doesn't do it

Pg 67, if a model cannot disembark from an access point place anywhere within 2" of the transport, may not act at all in next turn (paraphrased)

You can deploy on top of an exploded rhino, but not a wrecked one no,

After disembarking from a wrecked rhino, the squad can move on top of the ruined chassis, which counts as dangerous and difficult terrain, but they must first leave the wreckage

There is one issue here, however, and that has to do with measuring from base to base. Once the Rhino is destroyed it certainly counts as terrain (that is, if it wasn't vaporized) however range is measured from level-to-level by measuring from model head to model feet. See the Buildings/Ruins chapter in the BRB for a diagram; it's eye-opening.

You can deploy on top of an exploded rhino, but not a wrecked one no

Sorry, this is a mistake. Wrecked Rhinos count as Difficult and Dangerous terrain; they certainly can deploy onto it during an Emergency Disembark.

Oh, ok, but then if they did, and I think his squad had 6 guys in it or something like that, then from my head to his base, if he clears the 1" then his squad wasnt eliminated? I'll have to surround a Rhino and see if 6 marines can disembark on top of it and remain outside 1"...

There is one issue here, however, and that has to do with measuring from base to base. Once the Rhino is destroyed it certainly counts as terrain (that is, if it wasn't vaporized) however range is measured from level-to-level by measuring from model head to model feet. See the Buildings/Ruins chapter in the BRB for a diagram; it's eye-opening.

You can deploy on top of an exploded rhino, but not a wrecked one no

Sorry, this is a mistake. Wrecked Rhinos count as Difficult and Dangerous terrain; they certainly can deploy onto it during an Emergency Disembark.

Please reread pg 67 of the rulebook, upon wrecking your transport you must disembark, that is, place all of your models within 2" of an access point, or take an emergency disembark. AFTER models have disembarked, the tank becomes a wreck and it counts as cover. Please don't post opinions in the rules forum without giving references, it just confuses things

And no, if a rhino is completely surrounded by units in assault only 2 models ca be more than 1" from the enemy.

P 62, BRB "Wrecked vehicles are left on the table and effectively become a piece of terrain, counting as both difficult and dangerous..."

p 67, BRB "Destroyed - wrecked: The passengers must immediately disembark and then take a Pinning test. Any models that cannot disembark are destroyed. After this, the vehicle becomes a wreck." (emphasis mine)

Under normal circumstances, passengers could not disembark on top of a vehicle because one model may never be on top of another. While it is true that models may climb on top of a wreck, in the case of disembarking from a vehicle that has suffered from a wrecked result, the vehicle does not become a wreck until the disembarking is complete. The passengers cannot, therefore, disembark on top of it.

edit: Ninjad by ilnar.

Its all good:) the annoying thing is that I said exactly the same thing about 6 posts ago:) it remains one of the best ways to kill death star LR units, I use speeders to surround it then hit it with a sneaky MM/ chainfist

Thanks for weighing in, AwfulLawful. Sans rulebook I was without paddles, as it were. Looks like I learned something today.

Please don't post opinions in the rules forum without giving references, it just confuses things

You're quite the idealist, aren't you? Is this your first time on a forum? :D You're going to find a great many of us will reference our memories with regards to rules queries; they're not infallible, of course. The mistake was mine, and happily so. Had I not spoken up, I wouldn't have learned I was in the wrong.

No hard feelings. For realz.

P 62, BRB "Wrecked vehicles are left on the table and effectively become a piece of terrain, counting as both difficult and dangerous..."

p 67, BRB "Destroyed - wrecked: The passengers must immediately disembark and then take a Pinning test. Any models that cannot disembark are destroyed. After this, the vehicle becomes a wreck." (emphasis mine)

Under normal circumstances, passengers could not disembark on top of a vehicle because one model may never be on top of another. While it is true that models may climb on top of a wreck, in the case of disembarking from a vehicle that has suffered from a wrecked result, the vehicle does not become a wreck until the disembarking is complete. The passengers cannot, therefore, disembark on top of it.

edit: Ninjad by ilnar.

Awesome. Glad you posted that. So his squad could not have gotten out on top the rhino, cuz they needed to disembark before it became a wreck. So his entire squad shoulda been destroyed.

Archived