Land Speeder Storm

Toothless_saw

ok, I bought a LS storm and put it together thinking that it would give my scouts half a chance at tanks.

I thought with scouts being so light footed maybe they would be able to disembark from it after a move or assualt from it (hence it having a cerberus launcher) but it seems that the best i can do is move 18" to be within 12" of an enemy, pray that my opponent roles below 6 when shooting then disembark to attack next turn.

it all seems a 1 bad trick pony.

am i missing somthing here?

ok, I bought a LS storm and put it together thinking that it would give my scouts half a chance at tanks.

I thought with scouts being so light footed maybe they would be able to disembark from it after a move or assualt from it (hence it having a cerberus launcher) but it seems that the best i can do is move 18" to be within 12" of an enemy, pray that my opponent roles below 6 when shooting then disembark to attack next turn.

This should really be down in the Tactica Astartes forum.

However, I suspect what you are missing is the the LSS is "Open-Topped", so providing you only move 12" you can disembark and still assault (although not move conventionally).

You're probably also missing that it's got "Scout", meaning it can move before the start of the game (or Outflank).

Ah, and as it's a "Fast Skimmer" its max move is 24", not 18". You might be missing that.

What you normally do with it is deploy, Turbo-Boost in the Scout moves, then move 12" as a regular move, disembark and Assault.

It's open topped. You can move 12" and still disembark and assault.

Fast skimmer, so you can move 24" if you want to :D

My tactic is storm with heavy flamer, filled with 5 scouts, 4 have shotguns, sergeant has power weapon and bolt pistol. Scout move 24" to get your cover save, move 12" your turn, disembark, fire assault weapons (and cook with heavy flamer), assault the guys who survive.

Or outflank it late game to burn scout snipers off the objectives :P

GC08 runs them with multi-melta, combi-melta and meltabombs, nothing to be sniffed at.

In short there is plenty you can do with it.

Dammit, someone moved it while I was replying lol. Had to try again. Talk about ninja'ing

I run a similar set-up...LSS with MM, 2 scouts w/ shotties, 2 w/ CCW, Sarge with a PF. Usually, I use them to kill light tanks and dreads, or target soft threats and contest / claim objectives. Scout-Sergeant Hartman and the scouts (Yeah, Full Metal Jacket all the way, lol) was recently the hero of the game for me, wrecking two rhinos (speeder MM), gutted a Chaos Dread, and 3 plague Marines. And contested my opponents home objective, sealing the win for me.

At which point, I yelled at my buddies Plague Marines "You are pukes! You are the lowest forms of life on earth..." :huh:

Yeah, I love my scouts and their super-slick ride...

My favourite use is to load up with a 5 man ccw/bp scout squad, serg with powerfist, and heavy flamer on the LSS. You need to play to their strengths; LSS BS3 doesn't make for reliable antitank, but heavy flamers care not for your rookie BS! Also, ccw scouts put 3 attacks each on the charge at S4, which is nothing to be sniffed at.

The tactic: Outflank your LSS, come on later in the game. 2/3 chance you will be exactly where you want to be, and with a 24" flat out move you are never far away anyway. Ideally, your LSS will flambe a vunerable squad who think their cover save will protect them, while the scouts punch a few holes in a tank or take on another squad.

Alternatively, some people are quite good at the alphastrike with these, using multimelta and combimelta to do in armour. I also value the fact that the LSS and scouts are a scoring unit, so some games it may pay to take out the token base defense and then hunker down on the objective.

Lots of uses, shame it competes with the busy Fast Attack slot :Elite: Still, I haven't played without mine for quite some time :Troops:

RoV

My favourite use is to load up with a 5 man ccw/bp scout squad, serg with powerfist, and heavy flamer on the LSS. You need to play to their strengths; LSS BS3 doesn't make for reliable antitank, but heavy flamers care not for your rookie BS!

If you happen to be running Vulkan then the melta is normally reliable enough to do something.

Sgt /w combi melta , squad with bolt pistol and close combat weapon , melta bombs , land speeder storm with multi-melta.

This setup allows for a nasty alpha strike against mech armies if they deploy within 30-40" range of you. If you've two of these units the better , as you can potentially wreck four vehicles on the first turn with all that melta , it also is great distraction unit , as your opponent must deal with them on the following turn or risk loosing more tanks , he can't risk tank shock , as you've meltabombs on your Sgt and you've skimmers to block him in who dodge on the 3+ . This is why taking two of these units is better in my opinion , as you can really hold your opponent for their turn while the rest of your army is free to move.

Loading your scouts with a powerfist , while considered popular by some , isn't a great choice in my opinion. Scouts have a 4+ armour save and don't want to remain in combat for any lengths of time when they're a 5 model unit.

At the moment I run mine like this

Sgt with Combimelta, Combiflamer, Meltabombs

2x CCW/BP, 2xSG

LSS with MM

Either they are going to kill tanks or if there are more valuable targets (I have pretty much AT) I let them kill some other stuff. Especially against other objective holders as late game objective grabbers or against well hidden units like IG psykers the flamer really pays off. For 10 points more it never let me down. In a mech list like mine, you won´t get much usefull things for 10 points beside 1 HKM or 2xdozerblades.. But when points are short, the flamer of course goes at first.

Depending on if I get the first turn or not I put mine on the table to go alpha strike or just leave them in reserve with the rest of the army.

Here's a vote for the PF on the sarge. For first turn alpha strikes, it's great to have 3 S8 auto-hits on rear armor in case your melta misses. And it gives the scouts the real chance to win combat on the turn they charge, if you choose your targets carefully. Add in the bonus from the LSS's cerebrus launcher and the PF really helps you win combat and get your target running.

the Pf is always down to individual tastes, it also depends on usage.

in terms of tank busting, its nice vs rear armour 10, but then grenades and meltabombs will do the job reasonably well.. the reason i take melta storms is for use against AV14, anything else i can handle well enough with another unit..

against AV14 fists wont do much, however i used to run them for when i was countercharged.. generally they are suicide troops, but its always nice to take a termy (or maybe even an Ic if your lucky) down with them.

i often hear that BS3 is poor for a melta delivery system, and tbh in a vaccuum thats correct.. however i use MM on the storm, combi-melta and on the squad and meltabombs, its rare on an alpha strike against AV14 for all of these elements to miss.

Out of interest, what are the odds of actually doing serious damage, since an alpha strike is generally a suicide run? Sure, you'll hit, but you still have to penetrate and then you get the damage table. Maybe I am just disinclined to sacrifice my units :D

RoV

Out of interest, what are the odds of actually doing serious damage, since an alpha strike is generally a suicide run? Sure, you'll hit, but you still have to penetrate and then you get the damage table. Maybe I am just disinclined to sacrifice my units :wallbash:

RoV

tbh i havent worked it out, but i always consider an immbolised result as a good enough ending as it means thier assault troops have to walk through my guns.

the thing about sacrificing units is that you have to be able to, theres no point taking two LSS teams as your only two troops choices and throwing them away.

my army has 6 troops choices so i can afford to lose a couple to deny my opponent the use of his land raiders and heavy vehicles.

against AV14 its a good trade to lose 150-160 points, the opponent has to deal with them, and it usually means one less turn of moving at your main lines.

if your taking out a non-transport vehicle, youll often find it gives you cover (if you wreck it) so its not always a suicide mission.

The most important aspect of alpha strikes is that you completely mess up your opponents game plan before he even gets to use it, its more than worth a couple of 5 man scout squads IMO.

the odds of course go up as the AV value goes down, but as i said a 4+ on the damage table is good enough for me, and with melta its +1, so thats a 4/6 chance of remvoing the problem should you get a pen hit.

the MM hits 50% of the time, the combi every 2/3, against stationary targets meltabombs auto hit (but dont have +1 on the damage table)

with 2D6 damage, an average roll of 7 will get a pen hit, so about 50% will get pen hits.

the odds are pretty good IMO

Archived