Grey Knight Justicar

Redfinger

Here is the first of 5 Grey Knight Terminators that I am working on. This one here is the Justicar. The base comes from Basecontacts, their "rubble" base, and the right hand on all terminators has been magnitized so that it can accept any weapon, hammer, halberd, sword, or staff.

The armor was painted using vallejo colors, base coat in black, gunmetal, steel, then highlighted in aluminum. Pin washes of Badab Black were used to give more depth to the armor.

The face was based coated in Luftwaffe Green, then highlighted using using Basic Skin Tone. The eyes and highlights surrounding were done in Electric Blue.

The gold parts of the armor were done in Vallejo Gold, then washed with Sepia and then Badab Black.

The power sword was painted using Black, White, Electric Blue, and Sky Grey.

Overall I think once all 5 guys are done this will be a stellar set for the client.

More photos can be found on my Blog;

http://redmodeling.blogspot.com/

IMG_5147.JPG

what is a pin wash?

The term "pin wash" is a carry over from my days of WWII modeling. There are 2 terms, a "wash" and a "pin wash" A wash is a general application applied to a whole area with no regard to detail, a "pin wash" is a detailed wash applied only to certain spot to help give depth to the model, like putting a drop of badab black on a rivet, when it dries it looks darker immediately around the bolt as opposed to further out.

On the model pin washes were applied to the hands, joints of the armor and feet, an where there was a recess, this gave a greater depth to the model.

Ashton

The armor was painted using vallejo colors, base coat in black, gunmetal, steel, then highlighted in aluminum. Pin washes of Badab Black were used to give more depth to the armor.

Hi there, When you say gunmetal, steel and aluminum... would the gunmetal be game color and the steel and aluminum be airbrush color? I am just curious if that is the case, why you went airbrush color for the highlights? Is it due to it being thinned down already and gives a smoother transition along the edges of the armor?

Thanks!

Hi there, When you say gunmetal, steel and aluminum... would the gunmetal be game color and the steel and aluminum be airbrush color? I am just curious if that is the case, why you went airbrush color for the highlights? Is it due to it being thinned down already and gives a smoother transition along the edges of the armor?

Thanks!

You are correct. The Vallejo Air line of metallic colors are superior to the GW stuff, even using them with a brush works wonders. They are a finer pigment lay down much better.

Ashton

Archived