Red Scorpions Apothicary

The Maz

Hello everyone I know I am pretty new to the boards, so I figure what better way to become known than by jumping into some threads and contributing from my experiences. I have been painting a really long time! But no matter how long Ive painted or how much I think I know there is always something I can learn from others!

Well here is my first WIP shot of the very first of the Red Scorpions I have sitting on my work bench! I thought it fitting to start with an Apothecary given the history of the chapter.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/TheMazSpr/Red%20Scorpions/RedScorpionsApothicarywip.jpg

Any comments or criticism is welcome. This is still a Wip so things very well may end up differently by the end result, Im not really sure, but so far ive got to say I am pretty happy with the start!

Well as promised here is the update on what has been done with the mini tonight. Its still got a ton of subtle detail work that needs to go into it! But it is exciting as the mini is coming close to being done!

I still need to highlight the gold and shade it a bit more before I am happy with it as well as highlight some of the reds and fix up the white gauntlet a bit making the shading cleaner and the fixing random streaks of pain on the white. The gauntlet also needs to have the same effect done on the liquid vials done to it as well as the cording carrying fluids.

The Apothecary backpack has been primed and base coated now its just a matter of going in deciding whats going to stay white and whats going to go more of the way of the charcoal gray.

The bolt pistol also needs some work still, some highlighting of the Gray as well as making it stand out a bit more with some more metal bits, as well as highlighting the dark silver.

There is still alot of work to be done, but I hope you enjoy the progress!

Thanks again for looking and providing your feedback.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/TheMazSpr/Red%20Scorpions/RedScorpionsApothicaryWip2.jpg

These were 2 update posts from another forum, just looking to get some feedback from another gaming community.

Thanks for looking.

I really like where you are going with this. I have to say I've always had a thing for the Red Scorpions even way back before Forgeworld gave them a boost. I like the charcoal you've achieved, how did you develop it if I may ask?

The Charcoal color was done with Vallejo Model Air 71053 Dark Sea Green over a black primer. It was then washed with Badab Black, and then the armor was highlighted with Vallejo Model Color 70868 Dark Sea Green.

So very simple 3 step process and it looks pretty decent!

I love this guy - beautifully painted. Quite like the bare-headed apothecary-look. It adds a lot of aggression to the model. Kind of saying "yes, i have a job to do here but if you get in my face I can just as easily shove this thing right up your a-". Love it!

I love this guy - beautifully painted. Quite like the bare-headed apothecary-look. It adds a lot of aggression to the model. Kind of saying "yes, i have a job to do here but if you get in my face I can just as easily shove this thing right up your a-". Love it!

Thank you. When I got my hands on the Loth kit I had already bitz ordered a few more torsos and helms so I would be able to make a few more marines with some fancy bits! One being a commander and one specifically being a Veteran Apothecary. I wanted him to look grizzled and experienced as if he would be more than able to handle himself on any battlefield. I think often Apothecaries are looked at as more of a stand behind the front lines support troop, but the way I see it and the way the Red Scorpions fluff is, they have more apothecaries than other chapters because purity is so important so those apothecaries must be able to carry out their charge even in the face of insurmountable odds.

I went through my bits collection dry fitting different bare marine heads until I settled on that one. Even though I was sort of disappointed with the lack of service studs.

Like you said, the apothecary is there to do a job, but until he is required to do that job, he is just as deadly as any other battle brother.

I like what you've done so far. A direction to explore next is to do all the recesses in black. It will help define the grey and make his armor color 'pop'. And an easy way would accomplish that is ink. Its thin enough to come of the brush with a narrow stream and not screw up your highlights while using a fine detail brush. Its also high enough in pigment to require one stroke.

Looking forward to seeing more work. :P

I like what you've done so far. A direction to explore next is to do all the recesses in black. It will help define the grey and make his armor color 'pop'. And an easy way would accomplish that is ink. Its thin enough to come of the brush with a narrow stream and not screw up your highlights while using a fine detail brush. Its also high enough in pigment to require one stroke.

Looking forward to seeing more work. :P

I do plan on going back in and taking at least the joints to much closer to a black as they sort of just blend in with the armor at this point, I wanted to try and get the bulk of the mini finished before going back in and doing a lot of the detail work.

Thanks for the interest! I will get more pictures posted as I get more work done today!

Sorry for the delay in posting in here, Its been sort of hectic! I was finishing some work up on the Narthicum arm and it is now ripped off the mini and sitting a in vat of simple green for take 3! So yeah been having lots of fun!

I screwed up the vial on the arm, and the paint was way to thick, I tried to go in with some wet fine grain sand paper to remove excess paints and went to deep exposing bare plastic, and at that point it was good game arm into the simple green.

I scrubbed it today and all the paint is off of it, so now I am waiting for it to go through to the primer so I can start again!

On happier news I started up with my Red Scorpions Libararian, the base coat for the blues have been laid down but thats about it! Ill try and get a few pics posted but I will be going back to the Apothicary as soon as his arm comes out of the simple green!

Archived