chaos dreadnoughts

khurdur

Don't get too excited...

Until a specific variant of this unit is featured in a forthcoming book

I take it as they are going to do a separate entry for the chaos one, and I can bet that it's crazed... :lol:

Well, ran a dread for the first time. 2xDCCW, he ran with 2 squads of zerkers in rhinos. he did fall a bit behind, but wasnt to bad because i just used him to mop up what was left. I think they work GREAT. so im in love ^_^

i prefer my chances with defilers these days as the new dread ruling and my crappy dice rolling counted them out.

i prefer the old rules where you had a chance of an upside as well as a downside ,after all chaos is fickle but the ruling now is just detramental and not in with the plan of taking down the imperium not your own side!!!!

but i do so love the models and hope they get sorted out sometime this century,

• 1 month later...
To give an example of a fairly common Deathstar around my local club:

Tyrant/Swarmlord /w guards and a Tyranid Prime attached.

Now I cannot see a Chaos Dread, or even two Dreads, being able to scratch that with either shooting or in melee (9/10 it will get wrecked before getting its attacks).

to be fair, compare the points difference. a swarm lord, 3 guard and a prime are far more expensive than the dread. you could probably get 5 dreads for that cost. One thing tho, lash is great for deafeating the swarm lord. just keep pushing the unit 2d6 inches away a turn so that only 1 model is in diff terrain and no cover save into a tight ball and nail the unit with plasmacannon from the oblits etc. he will never reach your lines unless you roll badly.

To answer the OP, I tend to go with dual DCCW dreads. They're cheap, scary, and tend to draw fire away from your more expensive choices. Convert them to look really really scary, and use them like the Radioactive Red Rhino of Worthlessness. That, and if they fire frenzy your friendlies will only have to worry about bolter fire instead of nastier stuff.

Archived