DoA of non-scatter

Thornoo1

So has anyone tried 3 drop pods with locator beacons then the rest of the army DoA models? Throw in Dante and you got yourself the perfect foil to any raz/chim/lem spam. I was thinking of throwing two Furioso Librarian dreads in my first two pods with Blood Lance to really put the fear into those car parks.

What do you reckon?

I've considered that idea for some time, but decided not to do it. The downfall in my opinion is that you have to pay for droppods, locator upgrades and dreads. Thus you reduce points, spent on infantry part of the army, which is the major one in doa. With expensve Vanguard vets, Sanguiary Guard, and the necessity to have at least two full RAS, you need those points. Besides, having doa rule somehow compensates the need for locators and droppods.

Anyway, if you feel it will work, go give it a try, don't let the ones like me talk you out of this :P I am a fan of pure doa myself :)

So has anyone tried 3 drop pods with locator beacons then the rest of the army DoA models? Throw in Dante and you got yourself the perfect foil to any raz/chim/lem spam. I was thinking of throwing two Furioso Librarian dreads in my first two pods with Blood Lance to really put the fear into those car parks.

What do you reckon?

With only 1 D6 scatter isn't a huge issue to begin with. If you "clutter" the killing field with drop pods it might actually be harder to find a good place to put down your squads, even without any scatter at all!

Pods are best used in combination lists or mech, imho. If everything else is in reserve the pods that arrive on turn one will very likely be picked apart by your opponent.

The other problem with it, becomes too few AV targets in a jump army. By having just a few AV targets, target priority for your opponent becomes simple,if your going to go with pods, make sure they have other AV support.

Ashton

I was thinking of throwing two Furioso Librarian dreads in my first two pods with Blood Lance
Blood Lance isn't worth it. If that's what you really want then you could just take a couple regular Libbys with a JP for a heck of a lot less points. But S8 Lance isn't better than melta, and you can take a lot of melta.

I agree that pods just don't mesh very well with DoA. Pods are good if you take 3+ or match them up with other first turn threats, like scouting Baals and Flat out Ravens.

I was thinking of throwing two Furioso Librarian dreads in my first two pods with Blood Lance
Blood Lance isn't worth it. If that's what you really want then you could just take a couple regular Libbys with a JP for a heck of a lot less points. But S8 Lance isn't better than melta, and you can take a lot of melta.

I agree that pods just don't mesh very well with DoA. Pods are good if you take 3+ or match them up with other first turn threats, like scouting Baals and Flat out Ravens.

Counting auto-htting and the ability to hit more than one target, it quite often is. But worth it for a 200 point model? No.

Not much love then? I played a full DoA army for 18 mths with about 6 DoA deployments (1HG, 4ASM, 1VV + Char, heaps of melta). I found it hard when playing a good IG player or wolf razor spam to really get in there and open enough tanks quickly enough. They tend to play refused flank that really limits the amount of room I was having to deploy a really good reserve turn when almost my whole army was coming on. It can really get crowded in there. With the pods room doesnt become an issue as you can place exactly where you want.

Not much love then? I played a full DoA army for 18 mths with about 6 DoA deployments (1HG, 4ASM, 1VV + Char, heaps of melta). I found it hard when playing a good IG player or wolf razor spam to really get in there and open enough tanks quickly enough. They tend to play refused flank that really limits the amount of room I was having to deploy a really good reserve turn when almost my whole army was coming on. It can really get crowded in there. With the pods room doesnt become an issue as you can place exactly where you want.

What do you feel are the advantages of a larger DoA army? I'm beginning to put together a DoA army and I'm considering going for something very small and elite. My thinking is that you deny kill points, create a potentially extremely surgical strike force and can play the game exactly where you want it. You talk about IG playing refused flank? With a small enough force, you can pretty much refuse them almost the entirety of the board and hit them wherever you want, whenever you want, no?

I realise this is kind of off-topic. I'm just curious and fishing for information. :D

I don’t subscribe to the point of view that people need to deny kill points. I don't think it’s all that people say that it is. Kill point denial starts to reduce army effectiveness if you go too elite. I found once you get below 40 bodies at the 1750 pt range you struggle to hit hard enough. I tend to play tourneys so make all comer lists and all mission lists. If you know that the game you’re going to play is KP then hell muck around as much as you want. In a pure DoA army though you need to stack the odds in your favour that you’ll get enough turn 2 deployments to hit hard enough.

I don’t subscribe to the point of view that people need to deny kill points. I don't think it’s all that people say that it is. Kill point denial starts to reduce army effectiveness if you go too elite. I found once you get below 40 bodies at the 1750 pt range you struggle to hit hard enough. I tend to play tourneys so make all comer lists and all mission lists. If you know that the game you’re going to play is KP then hell muck around as much as you want. In a pure DoA army though you need to stack the odds in your favour that you’ll get enough turn 2 deployments to hit hard enough.

Mhm. I was also considering redundancy and target saturation.

I'll go back to listhammer for now, though. I accept that too few models is silly. Thanks for the input!

I would run two of the drop pods with locator beacons. The 3rd I would run without. Put a Libby Dread and a either a frag cannon/flamer Furioso, or Blood Talon Death Company Dread. Give the Libby Dread Shield to protect the Pods and other dread on the turn they land. The 3rd pod should have another dread in it, and no beacon as you don't know when it will arrive.

Turn 1 puts two dreads anywhere you want on the board, and leaves the option of using the beacons or not.. For me this is a very strong, and flexible tactic, if fact, it's how I do it.

I should add that the first pod might scatter, the second can pinpoint within 6" of the first and if they are both still alive the 3rd pod can pinpoint within 6" of either. Try dropping all three pods/dreads on one of your enemies objectives.

I've consider something similar.

My list consisted of only 1 drop pod, scout biker squad, and a storm raven all with beacons. The idea was to scout move the bikes into position for the drop pod to use their locator beacon, unleash a fragcannon dread.

Now the heat is on the dread instead of either of my locator beacons. With the bikes moving at least 18" each turn, they get a 3+ cover save and increased chance of survival.

I tinkered with the idea of deepstriking the storm raven in off one of the beacons. Never playtested it though, in time with all my models put together, I will play it though.

I've consider something similar.

My list consisted of only 1 drop pod, scout biker squad, and a storm raven all with beacons. The idea was to scout move the bikes into position for the drop pod to use their locator beacon, unleash a fragcannon dread.

Now the heat is on the dread instead of either of my locator beacons. With the bikes moving at least 18" each turn, they get a 3+ cover save and increased chance of survival.

I tinkered with the idea of deepstriking the storm raven in off one of the beacons. Never playtested it though, in time with all my models put together, I will play it though.

If you're going to do this kind of thing with a stormraven I'd go a landraider instead, Assault Marine ones cost from 205-215pts depended on the variant. It'll last longer (not much) but good luck.

Archived