wise_craks army on parade

Hey hey guys!!

well GW have announced the armies on parade and i thought this would be a good way to enter my first ever warhammer 40k comp. considering im still trying to learn the rules ;)

im going to use my death raiders chapter as they are still WIP so i can change things depending on my board!

I have planned it out (well kind of), I have tweaked the fluff of my chapter to make it easier to sum up in a couple sentences (see below), made a quick sketch of how I think it will look (see below), and come up with an idea of how im going to create it!

As you can see in the picture below (from front to back) there’s the front tactical squad that will be in more action poses possibly firing weapons stabbing last of living enemies, the two tactical squads will just be hanging around sicarius, then theres the rifleman dreadnought in front of the stargate with a techmarine near the DHD on top of a small hill to add a 3d feel to the board.

The stargate will be ‘hopefully’ active with a light up wormhole by shining a LED through some blue washed swirly plastic! Battery back for this will be in the building near by which will be shot up from certain angles!

This will hopefully (more hope!) give the image the task force have walked through the gate got into a small fight obviously won giving the techmarine time to secure the DHD and the rifleman to get a good advantage point on top of hill in front of gate - will be a sandy planet for ease of making a 2x2 piece! :)

Going to put “fluff” for army on board as well possibly engraved im not sure :)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/asdfghjkl2.jpg

The fluff is as follows:

When Task Force ‘Astrum Porta’ of the Death Raiders Chapter was communicated by the Imperium that their fleet based chapter had disappeared and never reached their destination, the task force who was assembled to research the stargate system as a better way of transporting troops around the galaxy started using the stargates to try and locate their lost brothers.

let the madness begin!

Wisey ;)

To be honest I think having info about the chapter on the board is just going to look like you ran out of ideas/models for the rest of the board.

Also the idea of Stargates would potentially ruin all the 40K fun of Warp travel...

Still, best of luck: I'll look out for a shiny blue stargate at Games Day :tu:

okies chapter master i will consider a different name :) it was an impulse decision as its latin! :)

To be honest I think having info about the chapter on the board is just going to look like you ran out of ideas/models for the rest of the board.

Also the idea of Stargates would potentially ruin all the 40K fun of Warp travel...

Still, best of luck: I'll look out for a shiny blue stargate at Games Day :)

okies no info it is then :P and not really as the gate would only really be big enough for a dreadnought size object to squeeze through so from a PA point of view all you would be able to gate around is thunderfire cannons, troops and dreadnoughts so the gate would only really be helpfull for exploring or the first strike, you would need ships to travel through warp to deliver tanks for full scale war plus whos to say the worm holes from the stargate system dont skim the warp like the tau do or totally submurge the traveler into the warp for almost instant travel to the next gate :) its a messed up universe anything could happen :P haha!

thanks man i gotta win at the local store to make it to games day first and i am not the best painter haha!!

update

well not really an update but a thought last night, today i will try to get some pics up of the models im going to use and maybe a little setting up to get a feel of how the models will fit in a 2x2 square :)

Wisey :D

As opposed to a star gate...maybe they are trying to shut down a chaos gate to the warp from the inside? A brave strike force chosen for almost certain suicide to protect the imperium by going through the gate and blowing it up from the other side. Would be pretty neat if you get some chaos demon(and or marine) models to covert up in various states of dismemberment around your near victorious force:)

Call it a Warp Gate and its all good, heck it could even be a Gate of Infinity (that what they call it?) that their Librarian has conjured because he couldn't be arsed walking.

Funnily enough I was considering a Egyptian style board to link it more with the stargate and having the tactical squads up front finishing of thousand son marines with some of the new tomb king models acting as mini demons/Egyptian zombies maybe I wont refer to it as a stargate or name it all! Rather a strange and mysterious device that allows for almost instant travel to other worlds how about that?

So in my head im seeing “strange ring” near pyramid on a sandy desert board with the task force killing off the last of thousand sons and some tomb king zombie/demon wana be’s,

For now though I will use the stargate but I might change it to some other round portal device if I can, I got the modelling skills of a 5yr old!

Wisey :)

Thousands sons and tomb king demons sound pretty good to me, make sure to give us some pics when yer done:)

i will do lots of WIP pics once i get started!! :P i have re planned it out in my head going to start making little tests tonight should have pics by tomorrow :)

not really sure how to make pyramid any more need to have a re think on that

any ideas on how to do that anyone??? :P

Cardboard or plasticard maybe? You could make one out of cardboard, spray it with textured paint (Available from most hobby stores) and then drybrush it sandy coloured? Or even paint/score on individual blocks before you paint it?

Edemia

UPDATE

Well here’s four more WIP pictures I found that these cork boards I been breaking up for terrain are 1x1 so 4 makes a 2x2! So using that as my layout for now unless I find a better idea! Plus it helped me work out that having a focal point for each square foot looks much better and easier to plan with

Well changed the idea as per suggestions well basically its now

Pyramid

Wrecked pre-heresy rhino

Stargate

My army

Couple enemy troops (1k sons and tomb king demons)

And possibly a shallow pool or something else to take up the space

Black area is where future pyramid will be

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P6100006.jpg

Rifleman dread and marine dialing the next address on the gate

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P6100011.jpg

Pyramid mock up

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P6100012.jpg

What the enemy will see

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P6100009.jpg

ALSO the gate in the pictures isnt the one i will be using, that was a test, the final one will be bigger and active with LED power ;)

What'ya think

C&C

I agree with Rider-75 as long as you scratch build your own "star gate" GW wont pounce on you like a bum on a bologna sandwich. Anyways I like the scheme on your army, is that metallic purple I see?

Okies I will make a scratch built "warp gate" a device that sends the user deep into the warp to allow for almost instant travel to the next destination :)

Thanks mr.M it is indeed metallic purple! There's a WIP devoteted to them called death raiders in here somewhere but im sure tonight or tomorrow I will upload pictures of just the models for your viewing pleasure! :)

Thanks

Wisey B)

heres a picture i took a while back of the marines

theres my sicarius with red and blue squad! :) (old picture before they were finished)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P3010024.jpg

and here is a close up of communications marine (extreme close up sorry) not yet finished

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P4130005.jpg

Wisey ;)

Archived