Astroth's colors?

I recently picked up Astroth last week and got him assembled soon to have him primed very quickly. I'm also looking at possibly changing his look a bit. I love the studio model with the black wings and the armor designed to look like muscle and sinew. Would it be too much if I kept his armor black in addition to the black wings? I'm considering both black and red armor with silver or bone on the shoulders/axe haft. Any opinions on the subject, I understand the reasoning for the red,but am also considering black because he is a chaplain.

Also is it considered "in scheme" to put a normal chaplain in red with a black shoulder pad? This would be reversing the concept above just thought the unified scheme would look cool as well.

Traditionally, Astorath should have black armor. I'm not sure why he was painted red, its possible the painter hadn't seen Astorath's fluff yet or just decided to to it red. There are examples on teh forum of black painted Asotoraths.

In one of the older Marine codexes, I remember an Ultras chaplain painted blue with some black added. No reason a Blood Angel chaplain couldn't be red.

I do all my librarians red, no one has complained yet.

Same question here, and I'm leaning toward painting him black. I've done all my Sanguinary Guard wings in silver, so I'm eager to see how that will match with the black armor.

I do all my librarians red, no one has complained yet.

I don't like your red librarians. <_<

I think he was painted red because (I believe) he was supposed to me Mephiston's new model or successor. Instead he is a Chaplain in red. Mephiston is a Librarian in red. I guess the blue and black are just guidelines and you can do whatever you want.

That aside, I think Astorath looks better in black. It has been done and shown off here before, perhaps in the showcase?...yeah, there is one on p42 towards the top.

Painting a Chaplain red with plack shoulder pads is not only perfectly acceptable, it's also a convenient way to make them stand out from the Death Company. Personally, I think the way to got is all black Chaplains for the Death Company, red & black Chaplains for the main army.

I now realise I was separated at birth from Red Fury! i'm 100% certain that Sanguinor and Astaroth started their design path as the new models for Dante and Mephiston, but had their weaponry changed rather late in the day. Dante/Sanguinor can be seen very clearly wielding the Perdition/Inferno/Infernus pistol and the Axe Mortalis on the cover of the Codex. That's why Astorath has the red flayed armour and the long hair of Mephiston, neither of which are at all chaplain like. (though Mephiston is an example of a red armoured BA librarian. As is the Librarian Furioso, so I think James is safe.)

If I ever used Astorath it would be to get more DC units and I would feel a lot happier for him to be wearing all back with red shoulders, to fit in.

do as you want, id go for black if i was you. hes supposed to be a chappy, and chappys are supposes to wear black as a sign of them mourning the emperors fall. of course saying that my astro model is gold but hes my count as chaptermaster... ;) most people dont like astros scheme... so change it. we prob should have a thread with pics of all our different schems sitting next to each other...

I now realise I was separated at birth from Red Fury! i'm 100% certain that Sanguinor and Astaroth started their design path as the new models for Dante and Mephiston, but had their weaponry changed rather late in the day. Dante/Sanguinor can be seen very clearly wielding the Perdition/Inferno/Infernus pistol and the Axe Mortalis on the cover of the Codex. That's why Astorath has the red flayed armour and the long hair of Mephiston, neither of which are at all chaplain like. (though Mephiston is an example of a red armoured BA librarian. As is the Librarian Furioso, so I think James is safe.)

If I ever used Astorath it would be to get more DC units and I would feel a lot happier for him to be wearing all back with red shoulders, to fit in.

I see what you mean the models look like modern versions of the corresponding units especially with the armor and feel. I would have liked to see the concepts given their final product. I understand the muscle armor is red for a reason, but wonder if black would be a more interesting choice.

I see what you mean the models look like modern versions of the corresponding units especially with the armor and feel. I would have liked to see the concepts given their final product. I understand the muscle armor is red for a reason, but wonder if black would be a more interesting choice.

I did my Mephiston back in the day in black muscle armour as a hail to his days in the DC...I thought it looked quite nice and a little different, so I'm gonna carry it over to Astorath too... But of course now it will look much nicer, I'm a way better painter than i was back then ;)

I now realise I was separated at birth from Red Fury!
Haha! Great minds think alike Brother Chris! Good to see you back around here lately.

most people dont like astros scheme... so change it. we prob should have a thread with pics of all our different schems sitting next to each other...
Good idea, maybe we should rename this: Post your Astorath! Show'em if you got'em.

(sadly I don't have one to post or I would have kicked this thing off right :) )

most people dont like astros scheme... so change it. we prob should have a thread with pics of all our different schems sitting next to each other...
Good idea, maybe we should rename this: Post your Astorath! Show'em if you got'em.

(sadly I don't have one to post or I would have kicked this thing off right :P )

you mean GASP...I'd have to finish a model and start another?! weak :)

Blood Angels aren't exactly known for adhearing to Codex colour schemes.

As said, Chaplins are ment to be Black. Librarians are ment to be blue. And Apothicaries are ment to be in white. BA's Apothicaries are predominantly red.

I guess my point is, do whatever floats your boat :Troops: I seriusly doubt anyone will question you about it. May get some nice coments actually.

As for Astorath and the Sanguinor, I too had wondered if they had ment to be the replacements for the older models. I do like the Astorath model, but I wont be using it to represent him. I plan on using the model for my Mephiston when I get round to it.

CTK

you mean GASP...I'd have to finish a model and start another?! weak
:D Damn I got called out! All right, I guess I'm going to have to post some pics to show you guys I'm not a total slouch. I've been painting, I swear! ;)

(sadly I don't have one to post or I would have kicked this thing off right :) )

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/generalhazard_album/P5030012.jpg

:P

Archived