Storm Sons DIY Chapter

onlyme

Foreword

I finally decided on a name for my DIY chapter and had a brief but fruitful surge in productivity now somewhat (completely) curtailed by the arrival of my baby daughter ;) . In the spare moments between dirty nappies at one end :D and spew (I love that word!) at the other ;) I will endevour to keep you posted on the progress of the 4th company of the Storm Sons. It's all going to be work in progress, it would be some kind of miracle if I actually finish something...

The Storm Sons

Chapter origin and history

Little is known of this enigmatic chapter. The exact date and nature of it's founding are lost in time. What little is known comes from the obscure and oft discredited works of Mias Balthier a scholar of some notoriety in the Cortarian sub sector far to the galactic south.

His treaties "The Nature of Choas - Chronicles of a chaos incursion" describes a brutal assault on chaos forces by a fleet based chapter wearing light grey power armour trimmed in gold with fist and lighning bolt iconography adorning their banners and shoulder guards.

The chapters exploits during this campaign are captured in great detail within these works. Unfortunately following Mias Balthiers execution for heresy and corruption the works were declared non potest imprimi by the Ordo Hereticus and ordered destroyed. The only copy known to survive the purge remains in the secure vaults of the Inquisition.

As Gais observed the chapter is fleet based. The chapter master Gideon normally resides upon the battle barge Storm Bringer with the first, second and third companies and the administrative and spiritual orders within the chapter. The battle barge Storm Rider usually houses the fourth, fifth and sixth companies and the battle barge Storm Slayer the remainder.

In addition to these battle barges the fleet also fields a number of strike cruisers most notably Tempesta, Ignis, Inluminatio and Vortex although as the fleet is rarely observed fully assembled there are likely to be more.

There is only one planet regularly visited by the chapter and it is almost as mysterious as the chapter itself. Designated Planet 2.21.316 by Imperial surveyors, it's original name lost for all time, this grim planet is scorched, blackened and wracked by a perpetually nuclear winter from some devastating holocust that destroyed it's entire population. The chapter visits this planet once a cycle scattering it's potential neophytes across the three continents and leaving them their until their return the following cycle. Those that survive are then enrolled to begin the long journey to become a full astartes aboard the Strike Cruiser Vortex. Even within the ranks of the astartes this induction is unusually brutal and goes some way to explain the chapters dwindling numbers.

Speculation by the inquisition reasons that this planet may indeed be the original home of this chapter, the induction ritual intending to test those joining the chapter as indeed all those in the chapter were once tested. How this world came to be destroyed and the role the chapter played in its annihilation form a part of the ongoing investigations of the Inquisitor Xavier Corant.

The battle plate worn by the astartes of the Storm Sons is light grey, trimmed in gold (symbology on the left knee denotes the company). Weapons are often green in colour.

sm.php?b62c=@hFZ7Y_hFZ83.iakk7@@@hyOv1___i2vDr@.@@i8TzJi8TzJ@@@@@@@@hIAEG@@i8TzJ_i8TzJ_@@@@@@@@@@..@@@___@@@@@@hyOv1..&

The chapter maintains a number of pieces of ancient artificer armour including the chapter masters own, these are often gold. The veterans of the company wear red helmets and shoulder plates believed to denote the blood of the chapters past. This particular affectation is believed to have arisen following the Anterian incursion in m38 where the entire chapter was mustered to defend the embattled world. It is said that the chapter fought shoulder to shoulder, back to back for 100 days and nights. One thousand space marines fought the entire chaos hoard of Mad Priest Zheliphion, numbers untold these monstrosities assaulted the positions, with all ammunition depleted the company resorted to chain swords, combat knives and even bare fists. At the end of the fight the survivors armour covered as it was in gore from friend and enemy alike was blood red. To honour that victory and the losses the chapter suffered those veterans who have earned their place through bloody conflict wear the red Helmet and shoulder guards.

sm.php?b62c=@hFZ7Y_hIAEG.iakk7@@@hyOv1___i2vDr@.@@i8TzJi8TzJ@@@@@@@@_@@i8TzJ_i8TzJ_@@@@@@@@@@..@@@___@@@@@@hyOv1..&

At this time the full disposition and whereabouts of the chapter are a mystery. It is known that the fourth company is engaging in a protracted, bloody campaign close to the eye of terror lead by Gideon the Chapter Master and reinforced with some of the chapters most revered veterans aboard the Strike Cruiser Tempesta.

Sample of WIP so far

Venerable Dread

gallery_17897_2497_428529.jpg

Tactical Veteran Sargeants

gallery_17897_2497_108515.jpg

gallery_17897_2497_30457.jpg

gallery_17897_2497_85206.jpg

A selection of Tactical Marines

gallery_17897_2497_513897.jpg

Scouts

gallery_17897_2497_136119.jpg

Thanks for the comments folks.

I've been struggling with a chapter symbol for some time and in the end settled on a fist clutching a pair of lighting bolts (dangerously close to other chapters but hey)

This is a photoshopped mock up of the 4th company banner.

I'm looking to get some good consistency across all the models around the conography - left knee representing the 4th company and so on.

gallery_17897_2497_60851.jpg

What do you think?

Archived