Drop pods and deployment

Meatman

Ok recently I've played a couple games and chosen to deploy a unit normally and drop their drop pod empty, but this has been raising some eyebrows from some people I've played. Just want to double check I'm doing this right.

E.g. 5 man sternguard squad with drop pod, I can have them come down in the pod, or deploy normally and have the pod down empty, correct?

I think I'm right but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you, that's what I said but they seemed to think I had to have the unit come down in it.

Nope, you're good. It does have to deploy (drop pod rule, reserve rules) but they don't have to be inside of it. :)

There's some fluff-precedent for this too (if it'll help your opponents). If every single drop pod that hit the ground had marines in it, anti-air would decimate their numbers. They drop a LOT of empty-pods as distractions and cover.

As the others have said it's fine, and obviously no other unit may drop in that particular Drop Pod. If you get any more questioning looks, kindly point them to the Space Marine FAQ (page 2), which clearly states you can do it.

Q: Can you use a Drop Pod on its own, with no squad

inside? (p69)

A: Yes you can.

Archived