Space Marine Mixed Armor Tactica

HERO

Since I've been having success with Predators and Vindicators over Long Fangs, most people have been asking me how or :).

Instead of writing Emails back all the time, I decided to write everything in one big armor tactica.

Read it here:

http://lkhero.blogspot.com/2011/06/space-m...or-tactica.html

And please, I'd like some feedback. This took me a while to simulate.

An impressive tactica and very useful. Personally I'm not a fan of lining all my tanks up in a formation and rolling them over there, but at times I do use it if I need to, so it has been most informative. I would suggest one thing, and that's subtitles. You flit between different situations without warning, I find that subtitles not only give that warning, but help to break the text up making it easier to read. The arrows on the pictures are also a little confusing at first.

The one thing I did pick up on was your comment about keeping your Vindicators alive so they can destroy things. I'd like to say that's one application for the Vindicator, the other is as a bullet magnet, allowing you to use your other units to destroy things. In these instances, it may be better to expose side armour shots to tempt your opponent away from taking out Rhinos with valuable cargo.

In all, it's good.

Looks good.

1- I think this is a fairly in depth way to say 'place your rhinos to block the sides of your tanks', but I like it anyway.

2- The article assumes that the main complaint against Vindicators and Predators is their side armor rating, and I would challenge whether this is a common perception or not. I would love to see you address the offensive capabilities of the two platforms, possibly explaining optimal sitations and situations that should be avoided.

3- I like your pictures, they help to explain things. The drawings on them are brilliant. They could be improved if you re-took some on a table with terrain. Also, you may want to take some with just one rhino and one vindicator... since rarely will you see 15 tanks all lined up like that.

4- Your article is professionally written, but the profanity takes away from that. You have good analysis, and if you cleaned up the dirty words it would go a long way I think.

5- I think this article should address deep striking and alpha striking. Sternguard dreads, termicide, daemons, dark eldar with grenades, Shunt Punch, Valkyerie meltas, etc... maybe a castle formation or two, potentially even show some rhino troopers with a bubble-wrap then rhino rush manuever?

6- The article also assumes that the space marine player wants to achive midfield ASAP. If you are playing with predators, chances are you army will have counter-assault units, and won't necesarilly be trying to achieve midfield right away. Also, these armies tend to have lots of dreads... would you be able to add anything here abut dread synergy with preds and vindis? I don't think you need to make major changes for this item, just maybe acknowledge that there are other space marine strategies besides midfield rush.

Overall... good job. Very enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing!

-Myst

That is a lot of tanks abreast.

Is that actually plausible?

How many points are needed for that?

How little terrain is needed for that?

What happens when terrain gets in the way of your anticipated path?

What happens when vehicles get stunned and then cannot maintain formation?

What happens when DSers appear near your tanks with melta?

What happens when Piranhas/Speeders move-block your LR?

Thoughts?

Found this article this morning via a friend's blogroll, and loved it.

Thoughts?

One thing to keep in mind is that the article discusses general tactics, not concrete situations. A sports coach can teach you how to shoot,pass, and score, but it's up to you to apply those skills in a game situation.

I do agree on a little addition regarding "closing the gap" for stunned or immobile tanks, though.

--

The photos are a godsend for the article, and clearly illustrate your points.

Perhaps you could briefly address the idea of leaving room for your tanks to pivot and move, since three Rhinos abreast at 1" intervals can't actually get very far laterally, since you have to pivot on the spot, then move forward/backward, pivot again, etc.

Found this article this morning via a friend's blogroll, and loved it.

Thoughts?

One thing to keep in mind is that the article discusses general tactics, not concrete situations. A sports coach can teach you how to shoot,pass, and score, but it's up to you to apply those skills in a game situation.

I do agree on a little addition regarding "closing the gap" for stunned or immobile tanks, though.

--

The photos are a godsend for the article, and clearly illustrate your points.

Perhaps you could briefly address the idea of leaving room for your tanks to pivot and move, since three Rhinos abreast at 1" intervals can't actually get very far laterally, since you have to pivot on the spot, then move forward/backward, pivot again, etc.

Yes I agree with your point, and I am asking a lot of questions which can come across as naysaying.

Whilst I agree with your coach analogy, good coaching is:

'do X and profit'

then

'do X and he'll do Y, so then you do Z'

Often you don't need more 'planning' than that, as the dice and player choices make the mix to much of a swirl to give a prescribed text to follow.

A coach shouldn't just be giving you shoot, pass, score, but mini set-piece plays. Basketball works well for the analogy. Whilst you can have a plan for the whole 24-second shot clock, much of the time, drive and score/pass or post up score/pass work. But you can also manufacture things like using pick-and-roll or screens.

But you can't cover everything in one Tactica, and well-laid out fundamentals do need to be put into place.

I guess I want part two already :)

Archived