Dread weapon loadout

Myxx

Any thoughts on using a TLAC and Assault Cannon armed dread? Seems like it would be a good alternative to the standard rifleman. S4 Rending and the typical AC shots?

I've used this before; it's okay. This suffers a bit from the stark difference in ranges: Not enough ranged power to take down a transport until it's within 24", and still can get mired by Infantry without his DCCW. I now never let a Dread leave the hangar without his fist.

The reason Riflemen are so popular is because of the combination of respectable rate of fire, long range, and twin-linking. When you swap out for the assault cannon, you lose the rate of fire and range parts of the equation, and end up with something that just doesn't add up.

The heavy gunner Dread I believe. Personally I prefer a rifleman due to range, it doesn't have a DCCW so it's best to stay far away. However, the heavy gunner puts out a lot of firepower at mid-range, and con contribute on the way in. I believe that Captain Idaho uses one in his lists, it may be an idea to PM him.

...it doesn't have a DCCW so it's best to stay far away.

Everybody always eschews this, but really it's a big issue. If your Dreadnought cannot hold up in melee, he's little different from a Dev squad without a power fist. If he gets charged, he's at best useless as he fails to kill models. :) If you are going to run a Dread without a DCCW, treat him like you would such a Dev squad: keep him as distant as you can (knowing full-well your opponent may try to mire him with otherwise useless infantry) and have an assault-worthy unit lying around to support him should you lose that firepower to a mosh pit.

Str 10 is delicious, and three attacks on a charge could take out that land raider that made it across to dump out the hammernators. (Yes, the Hammernators will eat your Dread, DCCW or not. The point is, the Dread will charge that Land Raider because he's a SPACE MARINE and not a pansy.)

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there thade. Of course, like a Dev squad there are times when you have to charge your DCCWless Dread into combat, usually when looking to tie something up. To be honest, it is amusing watching the Sanguinor fail to do anything to your Dread in combat, even if the Dread has not hope of beating him in combat!

To be honest, it is amusing watching the Sanguinor fail to do anything to your Dread in combat, even if the Dread has not hope of beating him in combat!

That...is kinda funny. :D

Archived