Tactics for a Sternguard themed Army

Cmdr Shepard

Greetings Battle Brothers,

I'm planning to build a Sternguard themed army to represent a Deathwatch force.

Considering the peculiriaty of the army I suppose the best HQ choice would Kantor, since he allows Sterngaurd to capture objectives.

A part from that I need your assistance concerning several tactical issue.

1. How do you suggest to equip Sternguard?

Personal I'd keep the highest number possible of bolter in order to fully benefy of their special ammo. I would add any combi-melta allowed by points limit and a heavy weapon every 10 models (namely 1 per unit). What do you think? Is a heavy weapon useful? What heavy weapon do you suggest?

2. What supporting units can I field in order to make the army a competive, "all comers" one?

In details: what troops units, vehicles/anti-tank unit do you think the army needs?

Thank You for you assitance, Battle Brothers.

Dreadnoughts (assuming you have Elite slots free or a MotF) would be a flavourful choice, given their wisdom & experience.

From Fast Attack, the obvious counterpart to Sternguard are Vanguard.

Haha, fate moves in mysterious ways doesn't it? :)

Greetings Battle Brothers,

I'm planning to build a Sternguard themed army to represent a Deathwatch force.

Considering the peculiriaty of the army I suppose the best HQ choice would Kantor, since he allows Sterngaurd to capture objectives.

A part from that I need your assistance concerning several tactical issue.

1. How do you suggest to equip Sternguard?

Personal I'd keep the highest number possible of bolter in order to fully benefy of their special ammo. I would add any combi-melta allowed by points limit and a heavy weapon every 10 models (namely 1 per unit). What do you think? Is a heavy weapon useful? What heavy weapon do you suggest?

2. What supporting units can I field in order to make the army a competive, "all comers" one?

In details: what troops units, vehicles/anti-tank unit do you think the army needs?

Thank You for you assitance, Battle Brothers.

1. This is entirely dependent on the rest of your army, and how much of a core you want to Sternguard to be. By the sounds of it, these will be the core of your force, so I'd suggest a couple of builds that can do everything as it were. My favourite all rounder Sternguard build is 7-8 men, heavy flamer, 3 combi-meltas, power fist and a Rhino. 7-8 men because it depends on points and if a character is joining or not. If one is you can get away with 7, if not then you want to try and get 8. The power fist helps out in close combat, and with Pedro Sternguard can be a horrible close combat unit as well as a horrible shooting one. The combi-meltas keeps their special ammo and lets them reliably deal with a heavy tank. The power fist and krak grenades will help against light tanks as well. And the heavy flamer just boosts your anti-infantry a bit, allowing you to deal with hordes a little better. Comes in at around 300pts IIRC.

Or, if you want some as fire support give 6 men a couple of plasma cannons and lascannons. You can find more suggestions in the link MagicMan provided, and in the Space Marine 101 link in my sig.

2. First up, what troops units are you using? Pedro makes Sternguard scoring, but they're still elites, so you need troops. So are you using a couple of cheap Scout snipers? Or Tactical squads. I'd be tempted to go for the former and say the Scouts are Veterans of the Imperial Guard that have been inducted, but it's up to you. Then you'll find you need some fast melta. While Sternguard can carry a lot of melta you need to be able to deliver it quickly, so MM Speeders or bikes. You'll also need some long-range anti-tank. Your Sternguard and Scout snipers can provide that, but consider the premier trio of long-range anti-tank: the Rifleman, the Typhoon, and the combi-pred. Also, while the Sternguard can hit hard in combat, you may want to consider a combat unit for counter-assaults. I'm sure a Vanguard squad will be fluffy enough, and built correctly they can be frightening.

I like the idea of this list, it sounds like you're aiming for fluff, and will try to make it a smallish, elite force. Best of luck here, and let us know how you get on.

my deathwatch army is in two parts:

the first half is sternguard with either a gating libby, or rhinos/razors (when accompanied by pedro)

the second half is a biker force with biker captain and bikes as troops.

Thanks for the link.. it is very useful

1. This is entirely dependent on the rest of your army, and how much of a core you want to Sternguard to be. By the sounds of it, these will be the core of your force, so I'd suggest a couple of builds that can do everything as it were. My favourite all rounder Sternguard build is 7-8 men, heavy flamer, 3 combi-meltas, power fist and a Rhino. 7-8 men because it depends on points and if a character is joining or not. If one is you can get away with 7, if not then you want to try and get 8. The power fist helps out in close combat, and with Pedro Sternguard can be a horrible close combat unit as well as a horrible shooting one. The combi-meltas keeps their special ammo and lets them reliably deal with a heavy tank. The power fist and krak grenades will help against light tanks as well. And the heavy flamer just boosts your anti-infantry a bit, allowing you to deal with hordes a little better. Comes in at around 300pts IIRC.

Or, if you want some as fire support give 6 men a couple of plasma cannons and lascannons. You can find more suggestions in the link MagicMan provided, and in the Space Marine 101 link in my sig.

2. First up, what troops units are you using? Pedro makes Sternguard scoring, but they're still elites, so you need troops. So are you using a couple of cheap Scout snipers? Or Tactical squads. I'd be tempted to go for the former and say the Scouts are Veterans of the Imperial Guard that have been inducted, but it's up to you. Then you'll find you need some fast melta. While Sternguard can carry a lot of melta you need to be able to deliver it quickly, so MM Speeders or bikes. You'll also need some long-range anti-tank. Your Sternguard and Scout snipers can provide that, but consider the premier trio of long-range anti-tank: the Rifleman, the Typhoon, and the combi-pred. Also, while the Sternguard can hit hard in combat, you may want to consider a combat unit for counter-assaults. I'm sure a Vanguard squad will be fluffy enough, and built correctly they can be frightening.

I like the idea of this list, it sounds like you're aiming for fluff, and will try to make it a smallish, elite force. Best of luck here, and let us know how you get on.

Thank you for you advices.

You Sternaguard guide is very useful and you just gave me interesting suggestions to add supporting units. If I have points available do you think I should bring the sternguard units to 9 models? There should be still room for an IC.

I really like the scouts idea and I think they will be my troops choices. 5 or 10 men squads?

What options do you suggest for the counter-assault vanguard unit?

Since it needs a fast attack slot I have two of them free for Speeder squadrons.

I have a question about fluff:

I already posses a painted predator, it is one of the few vehicle completely painted in my collection :( , and I'd like to use it for my DW. However I painted it with Space Wolves colour scheme. Do DW vehicles retain the painting and symbols of their original chapater or are they painted black? Even though DW has its own armoury I think the colour scheme can represent the orignal chapter of the crew.

Dreadnoughts (assuming you have Elite slots free or a MotF) would be a flavourful choice, given their wisdom & experience.

From Fast Attack, the obvious counterpart to Sternguard are Vanguard.

That was the first idea I had. I still need to see if I can place a MotF and Dreads in the army because I suppose I'm consuming poitns very quickly. At my local store we usually play 1500-2000 pts games.

my deathwatch army is in two parts:

the first half is sternguard with either a gating libby, or rhinos/razors (when accompanied by pedro)

the second half is a biker force with biker captain and bikes as troops.

I always wanted to try SM bikes on the table but every time I prefer units that look more "science fiction" than SM bikes. I read several players enjoy them but they need "dedicated" tactics to succeed in their task.

Thank you for you advices.

You Sternaguard guide is very useful and you just gave me interesting suggestions to add supporting units. If I have points available do you think I should bring the sternguard units to 9 models? There should be still room for an IC.

I really like the scouts idea and I think they will be my troops choices. 5 or 10 men squads?

What options do you suggest for the counter-assault vanguard unit?

Since it needs a fast attack slot I have two of them free for Speeder squadrons.

I have a question about fluff:

I already posses a painted predator, it is one of the few vehicle completely painted in my collection :devil: , and I'd like to use it for my DW. However I painted it with Space Wolves colour scheme. Do DW vehicles retain the painting and symbols of their original chapater or are they painted black? Even though DW has its own armoury I think the colour scheme can represent the orignal chapter of the crew.

As I touched on in my guide I find that 9-10 man Sternguard squads tend to be too points ineffective. What I mean isn't that they're bad, quite the opposite. Rather what I mean is that for the extra 25pts, maybe 50pts, you don't gain much increase in killing power or survivability, and you're firmly over the 300pts mark which you really don't want to do for one unit. Often these points are better spent elsewhere. However, should you have the points left over and can't get anything else useful they're not a bad place to spend the points. But don't feel you need 9 men, 7-8 should suffice most of the time if used properly.

The squad size is up to you regarding Scouts. Depends on how many points you want to spend on other things and their role. If they're just to fill out your compulsory Troop choices and sit backfield then 5 men with snipers and camo cloaks are 90pts, giving you two durable (in cover) scoring units for only 180pts!

The option I would suggest for a counter-assault Vanguard unit if used would be the Koremu/thade pattern. Basically again we're looking at about 8 men in a transport (no jump packs) with a thunder hammer the sergeant, a single lightning claw on two guys, and two storm shields, the others being plain. Gives you a decent amount of powered attacks, can more or less deal with anything, has a couple of 3++ saves, and some bullet catchers as well. Don't feel that they're need though and try to save points for them, thanks to Pedro your Sternguard do assault well anyway, and so will Dreads.

As for the Pred, I'm not sure but I imagine that'd be painted black. I'd also imagine it wouldn't come from another Chapter, but be a permanent Deathwatch feature, but don't quote me on that.

As I touched on in my guide I find that 9-10 man Sternguard squads tend to be too points ineffective. What I mean isn't that they're bad, quite the opposite. Rather what I mean is that for the extra 25pts, maybe 50pts, you don't gain much increase in killing power or survivability, and you're firmly over the 300pts mark which you really don't want to do for one unit. Often these points are better spent elsewhere. However, should you have the points left over and can't get anything else useful they're not a bad place to spend the points. But don't feel you need 9 men, 7-8 should suffice most of the time if used properly.

The squad size is up to you regarding Scouts. Depends on how many points you want to spend on other things and their role. If they're just to fill out your compulsory Troop choices and sit backfield then 5 men with snipers and camo cloaks are 90pts, giving you two durable (in cover) scoring units for only 180pts!

The option I would suggest for a counter-assault Vanguard unit if used would be the Koremu/thade pattern. Basically again we're looking at about 8 men in a transport (no jump packs) with a thunder hammer the sergeant, a single lightning claw on two guys, and two storm shields, the others being plain. Gives you a decent amount of powered attacks, can more or less deal with anything, has a couple of 3++ saves, and some bullet catchers as well. Don't feel that they're need though and try to save points for them, thanks to Pedro your Sternguard do assault well anyway, and so will Dreads.

As for the Pred, I'm not sure but I imagine that'd be painted black. I'd also imagine it wouldn't come from another Chapter, but be a permanent Deathwatch feature, but don't quote me on that.

I wrote down the "core" of the army and I have to say points limit is getting a pressing issue as expected. I'll try to build a 1500 pts force for standard games then I'll expand it to 2000 pts.

By the way, that's the "core":

Kantor

2x 5 men Scouts squads with sniper rifles and camo cloaks

3x 8 men Sternguard squads

Sergeant with power fist; 1x heavy flamer and 7x combi-meltas; tranport: Rhino

I reached 1270 pts. What do you think I should add?

I wanted to field several multi-melta land speeders but this will force me to not use long range anti-thank firepower (However Land Speeder are indeed very fast). If I field a lascannon/heavy bolters predator I should have about 100 pts left. Or I could remove a rhino and put sternguard inside a lascanno land raider.

What's the wiser tactical decision?

You've got plenty of melta there, what about Typhoons or combi-preds? I wouldn't field las/HB Preds, they lack focus and are massively over-priced for what they do. I'd also drop some of the combi-meltas, you seriously do not need 7 combi-meltas. If you drop 4 from each squad that still gives you enough but also gives you an extra 60pts to play with. You can do a lot with 60pts.

You've got plenty of melta there, what about Typhoons or combi-preds? I wouldn't field las/HB Preds, they lack focus and are massively over-priced for what they do. I'd also drop some of the combi-meltas, you seriously do not need 7 combi-meltas. If you drop 4 from each squad that still gives you enough but also gives you an extra 60pts to play with. You can do a lot with 60pts.

Nice suggestion.

So I'll try to add few typhoon speeder....

The removal of several combi-meltas brings the "core" to 1210 pts. If I add 3 Typhoon Land Speeder I reach 1480 pts.

The army still misses long range anti-thank weapons, namely las cannons. Do you think it will be a problem?

Land Speeders are fast and can cover the table quickly but the typhoon ML has issues in dealing with AV 14 vehicles that shoot from afar.

Do you suggest to field the Land Speeders separately or as a squadron?

EDIT:

Maybe 3 Typhoon land speeders are more than needed.

Anyway what about a whirlwind for crowd control? It costs even less than a typhoon land speeder. Or a Vindicator: short range but powerful weapon...

Mate, three Land Speeder Typhoons is long-range anti-tank. And lascannons are not to be relied upon to take out Land Raiders. You only pen on a 6, not good odds. No, you use meltas for Land Raiders, and you use the Typhoons for anti-transport, because, for Space Marines, long-range anti-tank is actually long-range anti-transport.

As for how to run them, attempt to run them in units of two, but singularly is fine and perhaps better if you have the slots. This gives you mass missiles to take apart tanks and infantry depending on the situation. And as for crowd control, do not underestimate the Land Typhoon. In a unit of two, you're dropping four frag templates and two heavy bolters on a unit. I've seen units of Kabalite Trueborn and Pathfinder blown away. And units of Marines like Long Fangs and Tactical squads are also in danger of losing a lot of guys, purely becaue you make them roll lots of armour saves.

Whirlwinds are cool, but don't have versatility. Vindicators are cool, but are bullet magnets singularly, not crowd control. Personally though, I find the best crowd control weapons in C:SM not to be single pie plates, but multiple blasts or templates or a good combat unit.

Mate, three Land Speeder Typhoons is long-range anti-tank. And lascannons are not to be relied upon to take out Land Raiders. You only pen on a 6, not good odds. No, you use meltas for Land Raiders, and you use the Typhoons for anti-transport, because, for Space Marines, long-range anti-tank is actually long-range anti-transport.

As for how to run them, attempt to run them in units of two, but singularly is fine and perhaps better if you have the slots. This gives you mass missiles to take apart tanks and infantry depending on the situation. And as for crowd control, do not underestimate the Land Typhoon. In a unit of two, you're dropping four frag templates and two heavy bolters on a unit. I've seen units of Kabalite Trueborn and Pathfinder blown away. And units of Marines like Long Fangs and Tactical squads are also in danger of losing a lot of guys, purely becaue you make them roll lots of armour saves.

Whirlwinds are cool, but don't have versatility. Vindicators are cool, but are bullet magnets singularly, not crowd control. Personally though, I find the best crowd control weapons in C:SM not to be single pie plates, but multiple blasts or templates or a good combat unit.

Green Light for three Land Speeder Typhoons, then. I still have 20 pts left. I can buy more combi-melta, even though I have a significant collection of meltas. For 20 pts I can buy more combi-meltas, equipping a Land Speeder with a multi-melta in place of heavy bolter for a anti-thank run (moving close to a Land Radier and blow it away) or ML for both scout squads.

Now the 1500 pts force is nearly completed. How do you suggest yo expand it to 2000 pts? Increasing Land Speeder number? Since the army's warfare style already features them I could increase their number: they can be nasty en masse. 9 Land Speeders, even in 3 squadrons, may create issues to enemy armies, forcing them to choose if shooting at them or at my advicing rhinos.

They fire at Land Speeders, thus my sternguard's rhinos advance; they fire at rhinos then my land speeders spread destruction among several enemy units. As you said even Long Fangs/Yac squads are immune to typhoon missiles.

The extra 20pts can be used for melta, or meltabombs, or dozer blades, all up to you. I quite like dozer blades to be honest.

As for 2000pts. I'd look into getting a dedicated assault unit. As I've already said, the Vanguard could be a good fluffy choice, and you could easily paint them like Sternguard. Perhaps look at expanding the Scout squads if you want, although you won't need it. Definitely get at least another Typhoons, as personally I believe they run best in two squadrons, but don't go overboard, they are fragile.

If you deem it fluffy enough perhaps look at some Preds, or through the use of a MotF, some Dreadnoughts. Really, as long as you can justify it with fluff put in what you think works. For example, more, varied Scouts could make up a Stormtrooper-esque core, while your Speeders, Sternguard and maybe even Vanguard make up the Space Marine core. And if you don't decide to use a MotF for Dreads, then definitely get a Libby. Great gaming choice, very flexible, and also massively fluffy for Deathwatch. Keep him with power armour, and then stick him with Null Zone and then either Avenger or Gate for Sternguard (depending on use of Rhino) or Might for Vanguard.

Those are my ideas, others may have other ideas that could be useful as well.

The extra 20pts can be used for melta, or meltabombs, or dozer blades, all up to you. I quite like dozer blades to be honest.

As for 2000pts. I'd look into getting a dedicated assault unit. As I've already said, the Vanguard could be a good fluffy choice, and you could easily paint them like Sternguard. Perhaps look at expanding the Scout squads if you want, although you won't need it. Definitely get at least another Typhoons, as personally I believe they run best in two squadrons, but don't go overboard, they are fragile.

If you deem it fluffy enough perhaps look at some Preds, or through the use of a MotF, some Dreadnoughts. Really, as long as you can justify it with fluff put in what you think works. For example, more, varied Scouts could make up a Stormtrooper-esque core, while your Speeders, Sternguard and maybe even Vanguard make up the Space Marine core. And if you don't decide to use a MotF for Dreads, then definitely get a Libby. Great gaming choice, very flexible, and also massively fluffy for Deathwatch. Keep him with power armour, and then stick him with Null Zone and then either Avenger or Gate for Sternguard (depending on use of Rhino) or Might for Vanguard.

Those are my ideas, others may have other ideas that could be useful as well.

Vanguard sounds a nice fluffy addition. I'm currently inclined to play such unit as standard infantry inside a transport. If I had to choose between preds and dreads then I'd go for dreads.

What dreads configurations do you suggest? Ironclad Dreads for CC support, multi-melta dreads for thank hunting or rifleman dreads? Personally I think C:SM rifleman dread is not as powerful as GK one.

What do you think about drop pods for dreads?

The negative aspect of Dreads' use with this list is the necessity to field a Master of the Forge, who requires a good ammount of points. Does he need conversion beamer?

The other option appears interesting too, especially because it is "massively fluffy", as you mentioned.

Null Zone forces enemy to reroll only sucessful inv. save not armour saves. Am I right?

He could join Vanguard or remain out from CC as well.

Thank you for your assistance, battle brother.

Personally I'd go with the Libby and forget the Dreads, instead using a couple of Vanguard squads and maybe a Pred or two. But this is your list.

As for Dreads, if you're using Typhoons you should be fine on not including Riflemans, and melta Dreads in Pods will work fine. And as for C:SM Riflemans vs C:GK Rifleman, of course the GK Rifleman are better. They have better strength, and the ability to ignore crew shaken and stunned results. However, just because another Codex has a better unit than us doesn't mean we shouldn't use that unit. I've actually played against C:GK Dreads, and with a bit of luck mine came out on top. C:GK Rifleman just have that extra bit of strength to make them a bit better against a standard Rifleman's targets, and allows them to take on AV12 better, that's all.

As for MotF, not sure how fluffy it is, but I'd just give him a servo-harness, power weapon and stick him in a Sternguard squad for extra fire and combat support. And he lets you bolster a ruin for Scouts. Or you could put him with the Scouts with a conversion beamer. But it's up to you from here, if you want Dreads go with MotF, but the Libby option is open.

Personally I'd go with the Libby and forget the Dreads, instead using a couple of Vanguard squads and maybe a Pred or two. But this is your list.

As for Dreads, if you're using Typhoons you should be fine on not including Riflemans, and melta Dreads in Pods will work fine. And as for C:SM Riflemans vs C:GK Rifleman, of course the GK Rifleman are better. They have better strength, and the ability to ignore crew shaken and stunned results. However, just because another Codex has a better unit than us doesn't mean we shouldn't use that unit. I've actually played against C:GK Dreads, and with a bit of luck mine came out on top. C:GK Rifleman just have that extra bit of strength to make them a bit better against a standard Rifleman's targets, and allows them to take on AV12 better, that's all.

As for MotF, not sure how fluffy it is, but I'd just give him a servo-harness, power weapon and stick him in a Sternguard squad for extra fire and combat support. And he lets you bolster a ruin for Scouts. Or you could put him with the Scouts with a conversion beamer. But it's up to you from here, if you want Dreads go with MotF, but the Libby option is open.

Now my Deathwatch project is nearly forged. I'm not yet very familiar with C:SM, so you advices are very appreciated.

I always wonder how to properly equip dreads. Annihilator pattern( TL lascannon and las cannon spoons, I hope I quoted the right name for that pattern) is very expesive while destructor seems to fill a role, anti-infantry/anti-light armour, already fulfilled by other units, namely Land Speeder Typhoons.

How would you equip preds?

How many special weapons upgrades for vangurd squads are needed?

I know I make a massive number of questions. ;) I really like the DW army concept and I'd want build it right :D

About Pred, there is one golden rule. Never give it the TL-LC. Doesn't matter if you want it to hunt tanks or be versatile, never give it a TL-LC. Why? Because its too expensive for what it does. Lascannons are anti-transport now, and an autocannon can fill that job just as well.

As for which one to go with, the dakka pred is good cheap choice at 85pts. It deals with infantry with 6 heavy bolter shots and 2 autocannon shots, but can also deal with light mech thanks to the autocannon. Or there's the combi-pred, which is a fantastic light mech killer with 2 autocannon shots and 2 lascannon shots. However, perhaps more than the dakka pred, certainly at the beginning of the game, the combi-pred has to be placed well and static. If everything is meched up the dakka pred is fine moving a bit as the autocannon is the only gun being used, but once the infantry are out you want it static in a good spot with good LoS.

As for the options on what to take, if you have the models for it try them both out and see what you like best. Or proxy. That'll be the best way rather than just doing what I say, I daresay you're a very different player thank me with different tastes. :D

About Pred, there is one golden rule. Never give it the TL-LC. Doesn't matter if you want it to hunt tanks or be versatile, never give it a TL-LC. Why? Because its too expensive for what it does. Lascannons are anti-transport now, and an autocannon can fill that job just as well.

As for which one to go with, the dakka pred is good cheap choice at 85pts. It deals with infantry with 6 heavy bolter shots and 2 autocannon shots, but can also deal with light mech thanks to the autocannon. Or there's the combi-pred, which is a fantastic light mech killer with 2 autocannon shots and 2 lascannon shots. However, perhaps more than the dakka pred, certainly at the beginning of the game, the combi-pred has to be placed well and static. If everything is meched up the dakka pred is fine moving a bit as the autocannon is the only gun being used, but once the infantry are out you want it static in a good spot with good LoS.

As for the options on what to take, if you have the models for it try them both out and see what you like best. Or proxy. That'll be the best way rather than just doing what I say, I daresay you're a very different player thank me with different tastes. :D

I'm new to C:SM so I don't have a particular taste. I'm just trying to figure out the effectiveness of several options ;)

I like to try new configurations and tactics when possible. For the records I have thought about several "projects", the DW is one of them. I was even curious to try on the field a Vulkan army and fluffy armies inspired by the chapters that fought the war of Badab. I don't know if I'll ever start the last one.

I'll try both options and I'll let you know. I'll post the army lists when I'll have the chance.

Archived