Dreadnought Loadout

Purdy81

Hi Gents,

Im sure Ive read on here somewhere that an Assault Cannon is statisically more effective than a twin linked las cannon against enemy armour, can anyone confirm this?

Basically I'll be putting either the lascannon or an assault cannon on my dread with a missile launcher, obviously the assault cannon is cheaper plus is has a more output against troops.

but im just interested as to how the assault cannon performs against armour

Don't have the math, but yeah, people have mathhammered it and found that at <24 inch range Assault cannons are better. Just remember that the Lascannon is effective up to 48 inches as opposed to the Assault Cannons 24 though, and would work better with the Missile Launcher.

but im just interested as to how the assault cannon performs against armour

I ran the numbers in another topic located here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=231228

Long story short, it meets or exceeds the lascannon the majority of the time.

Providing it's in range.

That's the key point with the Lascannon; it's designed for circumstances where you aren't involved in a short range firefight. Consider it to be a Tank-Hunting Longrifle & you are more into its strengths.

Just IMO the Dreadnought isn't a very good platform for it due to lack of Speed.

Just IMO the Dreadnought isn't a very good platform for it due to lack of Speed.

Pretty true. The points cost for the twin-las on a Dread is what hinders it. It becomes an expensive unit, and one with a sign over its head that says "I can eat your vehicles, so shoot me before I shoot you."

If you put a twin-linked lascannon on a Dread, go whole-hog and buy the missile launcher for the other arm, put it in a commanding position (in a ruin with low walls, behind a low rise, anything that gives it a cover save), and make it a firebase.

I disagree. I think a Dreadnought with twin linked lascannon and Dreadnought close combat weapon is a reasonable points investment to protect your firebase/own lines. It adds a lovely Lascannon shot at range, with the threat of a S10 power weapon to any would be attackers of your shooting units being very useful.

I actually think Dreadnoughts are pretty decent platforms for lascannons. They can move 6 and still fire the lascannon, just like a predator, and that's a lot more then a devastator squad will be able to fire on the move. It's only beaten by the Land Raider, but then again it's a Land Raider. They're also able to defend themselves in assault and are sufficient to tarpit units that would otherwise tie up your devie squad or tac squad in a spiraling drain of combat.

Archived