about to start sable swords

i have a few spare marines, and i thought i would 'paint' them up, i have decided on the sable swords chapter, but i have hit a brick wall,

I am not a very good painter and i would like to know, how do you paint armour black, without it looking like you left the undercoat on?

also on a side note do the astral knights have a colour scheme?

thanks

I've been using the following recipe:

black primer

base coat Chaos Black (has a sheen compared to the dull black primer I use)

highlight Fenris Grey

Extreme highlight Codex Grey

Here is an example

Fenris Grey gives it that deep blue tone that black armor may throw off. It has limited amount of steps, so if you can pull off crisp enough lines, it shouldn't take too long.

Of course the method mentioned in the above posts will be much quicker. I would keep the the drybrushing to a minimal so you are really only picking out the raised areas and edges. The wash will help it blend in though if there is a bit too much grey.

Whenever I paint black armor I never use just black. There was a good article about adding depth to black armor in White Dwarf 360. For example to produce a cool tone black armor you can mix Chaos Black and Regal Blue 1:1 or produce a warm tone mix Chaos Black and Codex Grey 1:1.

After I read this article it changed my life when painting black and truly makes it look great with just a little bit of extra effort.

Archived