The Cults of the Thousand Sons

Valkyrion

As part of my growing list of ideas I'll never get round to realising...

Who was responsible for the cult philosophy; Magnus or Ahriman?

If you wanted to make a Thousand Son offshoot army using Grey Knights with the different unit choices representing the Corvidae, Pyrae etc, who would be figurehead?

Also, has Ahriman actually embraced Tzeentch, worships him and all that, or is he still neutral/self serving?

As part of my growing list of ideas I'll never get round to realising...

Who was responsible for the cult philosophy; Magnus or Ahriman?

If you wanted to make a Thousand Son offshoot army using Grey Knights with the different unit choices representing the Corvidae, Pyrae etc, who would be figurehead?

Also, has Ahriman actually embraced Tzeentch, worships him and all that, or is he still neutral/self serving?

I think it was Magnus...

As for Ahriman he serves Tzeentch (or bears his mark) but Tzeentch is the lord of schemes and ambition so Ahriman may well think he is working against Tzeentch... He certainly has some hidden motive.

It's not specified anywhere in the background yet as to how the Thousand Sons legion became structured as it was with the cults. As all the legions left Terra on the Great Crusade they would have begun forming their own unique command structures and organizations: the Luna Wolves with their 'lodges', the Space Wolves and their Great Companies and of course the Thousand Sons and their cults. We don't know how evolved the system was by the time the legion was united with Magnus but no doubt he had a hand in the shaping of the legion to some degree. Being chief librarian Ahriman would have also had a lot of influence on the legion prior to Magnus' arrival.

And as for Ahriman's allegiance now - he certainly doesn't serve Tzeentch, rather he sees the warp and all it's entities as beings and powers able to be overcome and mastered. He harnesses the powers of the empyrean and seeks to become more powerful all the time. He saw how naive Magnus and the legion was during the crusade and is determined not to be foolish himself. He believes himself to be neither a servant of chaos nor of ally to the current Imperium (the one of the 41st millennium). He has his own agenda and works to achieve his own goals.

However, despite surrounding himself with naysayers to keep his own arrogance in check, it is ironic that he thinks he is able to fully master and dominate the warp. He certainly thinks he is acting purely under his own direction but one can never really be entirely sure it isn't all part of Tzeentch's plan. After all, Magnus too once believed he was in control of his destiny. More tellingly perhaps is after the rubric was cast and Magnus was about to kill Ahriman, Tzeentch himself intervened and asked why would Magnus kill one of his pawns so readily...

As hard as it is to admit, Ahriman might not be in as much control of his fate as he believes.

In my eyes Ahriman is the Avatar if Tzeentch same as Khan for Khorne, Lucius for Slaneesh and Typhus for Nurgle.

His 'mastery of his own fate' is his strength and weakness. Plus if he got into the black library he would become a god himself with all that knowledge. Tzeentch may want this, or on the other hand he may not. After all Tzeentchs plans are harder to read than a then thousand year old map of the dessert........written in brail.........with pudding.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived