Mephiston's Head

FallenLion

as a general I prefer my marines to have helmets, partly because I think it looks cool and partly because I can't paint faces. I also like the idea of face-less protectors of humanity, leaves faces for the Guard.

So over these summer holidays - I have finished school, exams are over ;) - I am going to go crazy and have a blood-bath in terms of BA painting.

But like I said I don't like Mephiston's face.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod1100003

so any ideas of what I can put there instead? bitz helmets?

and would a physic hood work if it was inter-grated into a helmet? fluff wise

as a general I prefer my marines to have helmets, partly because I think it looks cool and partly because I can't paint faces.

Practice! You get the hang of them as you work at it; if it comes out like crap, just strip it and try again. ;)

so any ideas of what I can put there instead? bitz helmets?

A helmet? That is your goal, no? B) I don't envy you for having to dremel that noggin out of there though. Also, I'm not 100% confident that an SM helm will fit in there; Meph is in the case back home.

and would a physic hood work if it was inter-grated into a helmet? fluff wise

Sure, why not?

Meph already has a hood. It's that interesting "turned up collar" piece.

If you're dead set on doing that much conversion work to him just to give him a helm, you might think of starting with Astorath instead. he has the same armour style, and the pose is certainly better. I'm doing Meph in this fasion myself, and I have to admit that the Finecast stuff is a dream to work with, compared to metal. Removing the head for a helmet conversion would be much easier this way, I think.

Meph already has a hood. It's that interesting "turned up collar" piece.

In fact, it's wired into his head; another reason I'd be uncomfotable taking a dremel to that area.

If you're dead set on doing that much conversion work to him just to give him a helm, you might think of starting with Astorath instead. he has the same armour style, and the pose is certainly better. I'm doing Meph in this fasion myself, and I have to admit that the Finecast stuff is a dream to work with, compared to metal. Removing the head for a helmet conversion would be much easier this way, I think.

Personally, I'd just go for broke and get a PA'd librarian. There's one with a Force Sword (or Axe?) and plasma pistol, if memory serves. That'll do you fine. Paint him up fancy and ta-da.

EDIT: and I should add, "dremel his head off" instead. :P You could also go with a normal marine and just gussy up his helmet with some bits. I remember seeing someone carve up a crossbow from like a WH Dark Elf kit and use the curvy bits to frame the helmet, for instance.

Make a librarian out of the Grey Knights in power armour set, slice with, for instance, the Space Marine Commader cloaked back, DA habit legs, DC or SG pauldrons. As long as he ends up with a big sword, a plasma pistol and something like a psychic hood, you will be fine. The real metal mepiston looks a bit small for modern helmets. I'm surprised he isn't already out as finecast, which might make converting easier.

haha cheers guys :o

out of interest you know just after he became the Lord of Death and survived the Black Rage - did he have any other armour than the crazy red-stripy-muscle armour he got now? Because tbh I don't like the armour very much.

I think Meph is an awesome character and he owned everyone in Swallow's Blood Angels Omnibus but I don't like the strippy armour but I also don't want to go too far away from the GW version.

I also thought Mephiston's head looked totally stupid. Well, it's that weird mullet that he has that is the worst. So I made my own Mephiston.

Check it out here -

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=226524

Pretty awesome work that. I really like the skin tone and his aggressive looking nature. I think that the sand guard armor is close enough that it works well for meph.

-CC

The title of this thread made me grin. Just sayin'!

Why thank you

Reading this thread made me imagine a person strolling up to Mephiston and saying, "I don't like your face."

haha would anyone dare? I think you'd die from fear ...

"lord Mephiston sir"

'What'

"erm its just that ..."

'what?!'

"I don't like your face"

*Meph' glares and marine dies*

'I don't either'

so what are the chances of Meph' coming out in Finecast?

To be honest the best option would to just wait for a FC and chop off his head and give a new pose :D

thanks for the link to your count-as by the way. He looks awesome and huge xD

I did a mock-up a while back of Mephiston w/ a Mk IV helmet here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...=212327&hl=

I did complete building the model a month or so ago but haven't gotten pics yet - it looks pretty much like the mock-up.

I'd definitely wait for a finecast version before trying something similar, as it was extremely challenging on the metal one to remove the head w/o damaging the surrounding hood.

I did a mock-up a while back of Mephiston w/ a Mk IV helmet here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...=212327&hl=

I did complete building the model a month or so ago but haven't gotten pics yet - it looks pretty much like the mock-up.

I'd definitely wait for a finecast version before trying something similar, as it was extremely challenging on the metal one to remove the head w/o damaging the surrounding hood.

yeah something like that :P

cheers

I didn't like the 80's mullet either, so I'm swapping it for Commisioner Gordon's head from the SW box.

Still got a lot to do, re-wiring the hood with guitar strings etc. Looks a bit more dynamic though.

Feel free to laugh and point

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/fatjazzer/meph1.jpg

Dremelling the head was a bit of a bitch - I hacked it off with an old pair of snips until it was fairly close to where I wanted it, then used the big round cutter and the smaller one to tidy it up (114 then 192, here)

It's all just held together with Blutack in the WIP above

Archived