Dante unmasked

embalancer

No, the mask comes off. I think you are thinking of Tycho.

Well, if you ever get any of the Blood Quest comics (which are great!), it shows him without his armor on.

No im pretty sure he can't take the mask off now after going up against someone powerful and also Tycho doesn't have a mask he has a face plate and borderline pychoisis.

Also could you give us a description (or better a scanned image) of what he looks like without his armour for those that don't have £150 to spend on a comic?

Also could you give us a description (or better a scanned image) of what he looks like without his armour for those that don't have £150 to spend on a comic?

If you have 5 seconds to spend on google image search it's literally the first thing to show up.

I agree with Leo on this one.

Dante looks weird, and isn't he supposed to have white short hair, like in his miniature?

Ran

On his min he is wearing the mask, so you can't see his hair. At least, thats how I always paint it, that way the mask offers the full protection and vaccuum seal the helmets do. Yes... My masked wearing soliders are wearing helmets fashioned into masks ^_^

+edit+

Also, for those of you who can't afford the Blood Quest comics, they have them in the BL Book of Blood. The only parts that are missing from them are the parts from the second one explaining who and what each chaos patron was.

It also has numerous short stories for the BA and successors.

I agree with Leo on this one.

Dante looks weird, and isn't he supposed to have white short hair, like in his miniature?

Ran

On his min he is wearing the mask, so you can't see his hair. At least, thats how I always paint it, that way the mask offers the full protection and vaccuum seal the helmets do. Yes... My masked wearing soliders are wearing helmets fashioned into masks ^_^

+edit+

Also, for those of you who can't afford the Blood Quest comics, they have them in the BL Book of Blood. The only parts that are missing from them are the parts from the second one explaining who and what each chaos patron was.

It also has numerous short stories for the BA and successors.

Look at the back of his head. It's there. It's short.

Like the Sanguinary Guard.

Ran

Dante has long hair, blood quest depicts him as that, and its the only source of an unmasked Dante for now.. the hair on the helm, is sculpted hair of the mask. That's how I've always seen it painted. I think most actually paint the SG with gold on the back of the masks also.

Ran

Again, how do you know that is not just part of the "mask?" They engrave their armor, why would they not engrave their helmets to be masks? The hair is simply the back part of the mask so that they have a sealed environment.

Otherwise their suit is not vacuum sealed, and they are very, very exposed. Its just an ornamental rear helmet/mask.

+Edit+

Just like BlindHamster said.

Ran

Again, how do you know that is not just part of the "mask?" They engrave their armor, why would they not engrave their helmets to be masks? The hair is simply the back part of the mask so that they have a sealed environment.

Otherwise their suit is not vacuum sealed, and they are very, very exposed. Its just an ornamental rear helmet/mask.

+Edit+

If Space Marines goes around without helmets for whatever reason, and survive, I can believe that Dante and the Sanguinary Guard would go around with just masks.

Besides, he looks plain damn ugly like that in the picture.

Ran

Ran

+Edit+

If Space Marines goes around without helmets for whatever reason, and survive, I can believe that Dante and the Sanguinary Guard would go around with just masks.

Ran

The difference is that marines with their helmets off have the option of putting them on if the need arises.

Exactly.

Also, a marine not wearing a helmet has one, and that IS his wargear either way. A marine wearing a mask does not have a helmet readily avaliable unless his mask is one. So the masks, or how I interpret them, is that they are full helmets. There is nothing that contradicts that.

Also, I don't see how the BQ contradicts fluff, so it can not be compared to James Swallow's books. It has no set date, no set hour, and no set planets that it interferes with (iirc). Yes, Dante is Chapter Master, so that sets part of the time. However, Dante has led the chapter for a VERY long time, so anytime during that time can count.

blood quest is meant to be relatively recent, Mephiston is Mephiston in it, meaning after 2nd war of Armageddon.

That being said, having my copy of the blood quest graphic novel right here, I really don't see anything that seems contradictory, infact, it was written before a great deal of the fluff meaning things got retconned, not that BQ contradicted.

Regardless, to me, Dante has long hair because of these books, he's not been described anywhere with short hair (infact, I don't think he's been described anywhere..) so for me..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/blindhamster/Latest%20Blood%20Angels/P1020423-1.jpg

is Dante :)

Seems to be a lot of confusion here. Dante wears a helmet as part of his artificer power armour. It is sculpted as (and may in a sense actually be) the death mask of Sanguinius. This is who it looks like, so it shows the hair style Sanguinius had (in the picture of his death, for example, or on the chapter banner) not what Dante's hair style looks like. Dante can certainly take it off. He isn't Dr Doom. He is relatively unusual among the chapter masters in being shown on his model wearing a helmet. I assume this is wysiwyg, as the death mask has in game effects. The guy with the short white hair and the face mask he doesn't take off is Tycho.

I would assume Dante has long hair, but the evidence is mixed. Mephiston and Corbulo. One thing is for sure, the BA top brass do not suffer from the male pattern baldness which afflicts the Ultramarines and their successors.

Ran

+Edit+

Ran

The difference is that marines with their helmets off have the option of putting them on if the need arises.

And that is completely represented in the miniatures and images right? No, they are not.

And Blood Quest was horrible, story wise it was rather good, but the drawing reminded me too much of 80's black and white comics.

Ran

Ran

+Edit+

Ran

And that is completely represented in the miniatures and images right? No, they are not.

And Blood Quest was horrible, story wise it was rather good, but the drawing reminded me too much of 80's black and white comics.

Ran

No, it's not, but it's common sense. Here we have the only image of Dante with his mask off that I have seen, and he has long hair. So we have proof in the miniatures and the images. Happy? :P

Archived