Crimson Fists Sternguard

their kin

So I love blue marine armies. Absolutely love them, and have therefore decided that my new sternguard army will be Crimson Fists.

That said, I had some old metal sternguard lying around and decided to paint them up as a test for the scheme/tenchniques I'll be using. Critiques are, as always, more than welcome.

Progress shot of the sgt after his first stage of highlights

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa387/enderci/ddbbd6f6.jpg

Same model with the armor finished and the red started

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa387/enderci/79c43bb0.jpg

And the red finished and a basecoat for the silver. Do you guys think the red needs more highlighting?

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa387/enderci/3a2efd11.jpg

And the whole squad so far

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa387/enderci/7da1e5dc.jpg

I'm once again boycotting line highlights, so instead I'm doing pools of highlight from an upper left source, washing down each previous highlight to help it blend together. I like the overall effect, but I need to do it with an airbrush as it just doesn't create a consistent enough light source (and that's my fault, I know). Anyway, like I said, comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. And if you like the models, I'll be selling them when they're finished and am always willing to take commissions.

-joe

Not bad, but the blue looks a bit too bright - almost like they're Ultramarines with red hands. You might hit them with a few washes of Asurmen Blue if you have it, or if not, thin down some Regal Blue to a glaze consistency(it'll look like tinted water, or a very, very thin wash) and use that to make their armor a bit darker.

Otherwise, off to a good start.

Thanks guys. Although Master Chaplain Astador, it'll take me quite a while to even equal your stuff. Thanks for the kind words. You too Brother Chaplain Kage, I appreciate the compliments and criticisms. I will say that the pictures don't do the final blue justice, as it's much darker in real life (after each stage of highlighting I hit all the armor with leviathan purple). But still, I'll take a second look at the armor and, once I can find it, grab my better camera and set up better lighting so that doesn't happen.

And a question I forgot to ask: What do you guys think I should do for the shoulder rims? I know they're traditionally the same blue as the armor, but that's super boring. I don't want to do company color coding (I personally think that's a terrible idea, as if you follow the 5th ed codex's rules you run the risk of the color clashing with the rest of the model). The options I can conceive are silver, black, or red. I think silver and red would create too much contrast and detract from the predominantly dark tone of the models (or blue in the pictures). Therefore I'm leaning towards black but for some reason am hesitant to commit to it. Where do you guys fall?

-joe

Haha I don't know mate, I think you could pass me in a week or two! :)

My personal preference would be red or blue. Sometimes it's good to be non-traditional, and I think if you were to go with another colour red would be best. Black just makes it feel unpainted even if it is highlighted beautifully in my opinion. Red shows you put some time and effort into picking a colour.

Nafi: I think it is more on the orange side, but the Blue is also brighter than the usual Crimson Fist scheme, so I think the brighter Red works well under the conditions.

It's actually pure blood red. So yes, it's not quite as deep a hue as the traditional scheme, but again the photo is saturated with yellow color. Thanks for the kind words guys.

MC Astador: I guess red would look good, as it's the secondary color. I'll probably try it out and, if I like it, do it on the army when I actually start painting it.

I'm super sad-faced. On the way in the house from my car, the wind grabbed the tray I was carrying my models in and three of the 5 sternguard landed on the asphalt. Thankfully the blue is pretty much untouched. But I will need to fix some red, and the sgt's helmet is hosed. Ugh...

-joe

Ouch, sorry to hear about the accident! I've had to repair some minis from similar accidents before, and it's not fun.

For the shoulder pad rims, you already have 3 colors(red, blue, silver), so maybe silver? If not, maybe a gold or even an aged bronze look with green verdigris around the studs?

Spare shoulder pads. Duh! But yeah, I do have three colors, which is why I shy away from the company colors idea. I have always wanted to try verdigris, so maybe this'll be my chance!

-joe

For the aged bronze with verdigris, I'd suggest the following:

Bronze basecoat of GW Tin Bitz followed by a few coats of very thinned down Dwarf Bronze - this keeps the color dark and aged looking, but still gives some of the richness and warmth of the bronze.

For the verdigris, I would suggest one of these two depending on which paints you like:

For GW, Hawk Turquoise with a touch of Dark Angels green for the base color. For highlights, sub Snot Green and then add a touch of Ice Blue for the final highlight color.

For P3 paints, Iosan Green with a bit of Coal Black for the base. For highlights, just add some Menoth White Base, and then Menoth White Highlight.

You'll thin the base color down to a wash, and carefully go over the bronze to knock the shine off and get a hint of that green across all of the trim. Then near the studs, you'll want to use the first highlight color, going out about a third of the way to the next stud.

Come in with the final highlight from the base of the stud out about halfway from the previous color , and I'll generally just stipple that to give it that random appearance. If you're really into, you can keep highlighting brighter and brighter closer in to the stud where it wouldn't get worn off.

Then you can go back with a mix of Tin Bitz and Dwarf bronze and work in some wear spots around the edges and such, where the verdigris wouldn't get a chance to form. It sounds like a lot, but goes quite fast and gives a good look.

Finally was able to sit down and repair the broken models. And got some more work done to boot!

The sgt, worked on his gun, applied an initial highlight to all the metal with straight boltgun, and tried out red on the shoulder pad rims. What do you guys think?

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa387/enderci/d19f6383.jpg

I'm losing steam fast, but I gotta finish! So tomorrow, more work!

-joe

Hey thanks guys. I'm 15 or so hours into this squad, and they're finally starting to come together. I'm still undecided on the red shoulder trim for my personal army, but on these 5 models it looks cool.

-joe

They look good, the red is also good. However be careful of putting too much of it on the model. Personally I think the shoulder pad trim looks too much. I've had the same problem, was going codex with Lamenters third compnay but red shoulder pads with red bolters, red helmet stripes and red purity seals on yellow armour made the whole thing look like an explosion of tommy k and mustard at mc donalds. Suffice to say there is a LOT less red now.

Keep it up

Hey man, really liking these....< thinks to self > " another Crimson fists player to rid the world/universe of orks and tyranids" lol

My only issue is the use of red helmets, shoulder pads along with the crusade company historical markings of the right glove being painted red....when I do my units of vets for my CF project I MIGHT add the laurels to there helmets (VG and SG) but I'm not sure, I did do a test vet and painted his shoulder trim a dark silver to further denote him in the crusade company and I found that appealing.

I'm not saying your red is bad or anything just as a fluff thing I prefer my CF's word their straight dark blue shoulder guards....

But keep this up man, they're really nice.

Have a look at my CF's and lemme know what you think too

So, got distracted by challenging Master Chaplain Astador. While I'm finishing the Crimson Fists, I'm also speed painting some Exorcists as a side project. Here's the progress from an hour of painting (and like 2+ of stripping the models).

Sgt (sorry, photobucket is being dumb)

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa387/enderci/DSCF0309.jpg

and the squad

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa387/enderci/DSCF0306.jpg

So I drybrushed the armor is 4 stages, super quick, looks decent too. I know you can't really critique from those photos, but hey at least it proves I'm doing something!

-joe

Archived