Sternguard kit weapon options

Brother_Byhlli

Yeah, I've looked on a few sites for bitz - I need two meltaguns and four plasma guns and that's only at 750 points. I also need an exsanguinator for my Sanguinary Priest. Most of the bitz I'm after seem to be out of stock on the sites I've looked at. I'll probably order the five-pack of meltaguns from the Games Workshop and pick them up at my store.

Yeah, I've looked on a few sites for bitz - I need two meltaguns and four plasma guns and that's only at 750 points. I also need an exsanguinator for my Sanguinary Priest. Most of the bitz I'm after seem to be out of stock on the sites I've looked at. I'll probably order the five-pack of meltaguns from the Games Workshop and pick them up at my store.

cut off the hands, it's much easier than pinning the wrist.

I don't follow?

I don't follow?

Just a tip when dealing with the metal plasma and meltas from GW. Especially if they go on assault marine torsos.

Just a tip when dealing with the metal plasma and meltas from GW. Especially if they go on assault marine torsos.

Ah, nice one.

I just realised now that they're metal. Balls. I'm trying to avoid all the metal that I possibly can. Do you know either an easy way to get hold of some plastic ones, or an easy way to convert them?

command squad kit gives you the narthicium and melta/plasma weapons + extra cool bits. I generally purchase one of those and a 'death company' boxed set at a time for all my BA needs.

I was looking at the Command Squad. I'd definitely consider it - heck, I'd go tomorrow and buy one - if it had enough special weapons. Do you know if there's enough in the kit to cover two meltaguns and four plasma guns, or am I going to come up short if I buy it?

there isnt a single kit that will cover all the ones you need.

Question - How is it you have enough marines for your list but not 2 melta and 4 plasma?

If you purchase tactical squads, you'll get 1 of each special weapon, if you purchase command squads you'll get one of each special weapon - both of those kits are multi part plastic kits

if you purchase the sternguard you get a couple of combi weapons (1 plasma, 1 melta I think) and these are resin. - as these are combi weapons, they don't meet your requirements.

You have another option in the metal sets of 5 melta and 5 plasma. - These are expensive considering it's JUST guns, however if you somehow have all the marines you need, I'd go with this.

My personal oppinion is get 4 command squads, it means you've got bits to make 4 sanguinary priests and a selection of other random cool bits (including power swords and power fists) as well as getting you the 4 plasma guns and 2 melta guns you need (with two additional melta guns).

there isnt a single kit that will cover all the ones you need.

Question - How is it you have enough marines for your list but not 2 melta and 4 plasma?

I have a 500 point list! ;)

I've got ten Assault Marines, a Librarian and a Sanguinary Priest. I bought a box of Assault Marines, a box of Death Company and a box of Sanguinary Guard. I built everything out of the kits I got so far, but there are no special weapons in any of the boxes.

If you purchase tactical squads, you'll get 1 of each special weapon, if you purchase command squads you'll get one of each special weapon - both of those kits are multi part plastic kits

Ok, cool. I prefer the Command Squad, I think. I'll look into the models.

if you purchase the sternguard you get a couple of combi weapons (1 plasma, 1 melta I think) and these are resin. - as these are combi weapons, they don't meet your requirements.

Hmmm. Not ideal. I'll probably avoid them, then. Sounds like the Command and Tactical Squads are more what I need.

You have another option in the metal sets of 5 melta and 5 plasma. - These are expensive considering it's JUST guns, however if you somehow have all the marines you need, I'd go with this.

I don't have all the Space Marines I'll need in my eventual lists, but unless I end up with many spare jump packs from my boxes (not including the Sanguinary Guard jump packs, 'cause they're just weird!), I'll just be buying more Assault Squads and suchlike.

My personal oppinion is get 4 command squads, it means you've got bits to make 4 sanguinary priests and a selection of other random cool bits (including power swords and power fists) as well as getting you the 4 plasma guns and 2 melta guns you need (with two additional melta guns).

I'll look into that. It's about seven times more expensive than buying the guns on their own, but it leaves me way more bitz, I guess. Hmmm. Presumably there are flamers and suchlike in the Command Squad box as well? Did you say one of each special weapon?

yeah, one of each special weapon (breakdown is this: flamer, melta, plasma, power sword, combat shield, power fist, MC Bolter, banner, apoth bits, selection of legs, torsos and unique command squad type stuff), the assault squad box is generally a worse buy than the Death Company box for assault marines, as the DC box gives a better variety of bits, the trouble with the DC box is models end up looking way too busy unless you mix bits in with normal marine kits.

I suggest you try letthedicedecide for bits, they're usually pretty good. (though they don't have the sergeant storm shield from the termi assault squads that I so badly need!! grr)

yeah, one of each special weapon (breakdown is this: flamer, melta, plasma, power sword, combat shield, power fist, MC Bolter, banner, apoth bits, selection of legs, torsos and unique command squad type stuff), the assault squad box is generally a worse buy than the Death Company box for assault marines, as the DC box gives a better variety of bits, the trouble with the DC box is models end up looking way too busy unless you mix bits in with normal marine kits.

I suggest you try letthedicedecide for bits, they're usually pretty good. (though they don't have the sergeant storm shield from the termi assault squads that I so badly need!! grr)

Yeah, I've been posing my models in the last couple of days and a couple of them have ended up looking way too busy, which is annoying. But, hey. We live and learn. In fairness, they've got better as I've gone on - and I have been mixing bits from the Assault Squad and the Death Company to build the models.

I'll hopefully finish up the last few models tomorrow and find a way of getting photos up for a blog.

I'll have a look into that website. I'm a bit unsure about buying four £20 boxsets from GW - especially as I only want three bitz at the moment. I'll think about it.

try talking to some of the gamers where you are. sometimes they are willing to trade bits. if you go the command box youll possibly find they will want to trade fro the bits you dont probably want such as the banner and sheid etc. also theres a few forums out there with built in swapsshops...

a lot of points on 5 models :S

Yes. But they are part of my larger long-term list. I plan on getting plenty experience with different troop types and different weapons as I build up.

They're an unbalanced part of my list at 750 points, but at 1,500 or 2,000 they're suddenly a fully sensible, viable option and I've used them in a microgame to work out exactly what they're best for.

agreed, at larger points games honour guard are worth it, i'd just hold off on getting them done for now and instead get more bodies on the table, for example a ten man assault squad with two melta guns and a thunder hammer is 230 points. But that's just me (so feel free to ignore)

agreed, at larger points games honour guard are worth it, i'd just hold off on getting them done for now and instead get more bodies on the table, for example a ten man assault squad with two melta guns and a thunder hammer is 230 points. But that's just me (so feel free to ignore)

Thing is, I'm learning how to play. By the time I finish my 500 point army (putting together the last model now, sans-jump pack, as I'm one short until I can get to GW tomorrow), I'll have ten Assault Marines with two meltaguns and a powerfist in the list already. No point just putting another one of them in when I'm trying to learn how the different components of the army work.

:)

If I was wanting to be purely competitive, then yes, I'd change up my list. But as a learning experience, variety is key.

Archived