1st ever game

FallenLion

help?

Ok so I have available:

5 assault marines - illegitimately assembled need to be striped of both equipment and paint to a BA colour scheme, so what should I equip them with, as a general set

10 tactical marines - illegitimately assembled need to be striped of both equipment and paint to a BA colour scheme, so what should I equip them with, as a general set

5 tactical marines - possibly illegitimately assembled, 1 powerfist + bolt pistol, 3 chainsword + bolter, 1 plasma pistol + chainsword

10 tactical marines - AoBR - soon to be BA colours

5 scouts - possibly illegitimately assembled, 1 heavy bolter, 1 shotgun, 2 sword + bolt pistol, 1 chainsword + bolt pistol

1 commander - AoBR conversion, bolt pistol + sword [painted silver so could be anything] in BT colours >.<

5 command squad - standard company champion, heavy weapons marine [ flamer I think] 1 standard bearer + bolt pistol, 2 sword + bolt pistol, 1 apothecary unassembled BA colours

5 terminators - legit, soon to be BA

1 Dreadnought - AoBR, BA colours

1 unassembled rhino - well half assembled, stormbolter + sarg' yelling orders on top, spilt apart for painting

1 bike - rider has a powersword - DA colours

so ... I was just painting, experimenting with various chapters and sticking together what looks cool.

The inevitable out come came around and now I want to play a game but don't have a competitive army or even a legitimate army.

you wonderful people, would you be so kind as to help me out? I am on holiday so time isn't a limiter really, I am stripping all that I know are wrong colours or illegitimate

and finishing my unpainted stuff now

so help, advice and a little berating is acceptable xD

I mainly didn't play because there aren't many around my area and only 1 friend who I just found out plays so xD

please help

If you are playing Blood Angels Codex you have a decent selection of models to make a full list. You should read the codex to see what weaponry they can have, but I'll give you some tips:

help?

Ok so I have available:

5 assault marines - illegitimately assembled need to be striped of both equipment and paint to a BA colour scheme, so what should I equip them with, as a general set

Basic equipment for Assault Marines is Bolt Pistol + Chainsword. One Marine in every 5 can swap his Bolt Pistol for a special weapon (BA have choice of Flamer, Meltagun, Plasma Pistol, Inferno Pistol, Hand Flamer). In addition the Sergeant can swap his equipment for better CC equipment (there are a LOT of options, but you'll rarely go wrong with a Power Fist).

10 combat marines - illegitimately assembled need to be striped of both equipment and paint to a BA colour scheme, so what should I equip them with, as a general set

Not sure what you mean by "Combat Marines". If this is a regular Infantry unit, then you could use them as an Infantry Assault Squad (which will get you a cheap transport for them) with equipment as detailed above, or you could arm them as a Tactical Squad.

5 combat marines - possibly illegitimately assembled, 1 powerfist + bolt pistol, 3 chainsword + bolter, 1 plasma pistol + chainsword

If those are Bolt Pistols rather than actual Bolters, then that's a legal (demi) Assault Squad.

10 tac marines - AoBR - soon to be BA colours

5 scouts - possibly illegitimately assembled, 1 heavy bolter, 1 shotgun, 2 sword + bolt pistol, 1 chainsword + bolt pistol

1 commander - AoBR conversion, bolt pistol + sword [painted silver so could be anything] in BT colours >.<

The Scouts are legally armed, the Captain... Power Sword is "OK" for BA (tho the Captain himself isn't great IMO) or you could use him as counts-as-tycho

5 command squad - standard company champion, heavy weapons marine [ flamer I think] 1 standard bearer + bolt pistol, 2 sword + bolt pistol, 1 apothecary unassembled BA colours

Fine, the Apothecary is especially useful. You might want to add a Storm Shield into the squad for durability.

5 terminators - legit, soon to be BA

1 Dreadnought - AoBR, BA colours

1 unassembled rhino - well half assembled, stormbolter + sarg' yelling orders on top, spilt apart for painting

1 bike - rider has a powersword - DA colours

1 Biker isn't much use, and BA don't tend to focus on bikes.

so ... I was just painting, experimenting with various chapters and sticking together what looks cool.

The inevitable out come came around and now I want to play a game but don't have a competitive army or even a legitimate army.

you wonderful people, would you be so kind as to help me out? I am on holiday so time isn't a limiter really, I am stripping all that I know are wrong colours or illegitimate

and finishing my unpainted stuff now

so help, advice and a little berating is acceptable xD

I mainly didn't play because there aren't many around my area and only 1 friend who I just found out plays so xD

please help

Tactical & Army building advice can generally be found down in Tactica Astartes

oh thank you very much :)

I know the bike wasn't much use it was just a mini I painted :)

no they are regular bolters so I will need to re-shuffle my pistols around xD

and it was mainly just to find out what is illegal

I have the standard codex, SM, I guess I need to but the BA one xD

Mostly (with a few exceptions) the BA units are armed the same as their regular counterparts, so you can use the SM Codex to correctly arm your units.

Mostly the BA have all the options the regular marines have, except the Thunderfire Cannon & the Land Speeder Storm. Plus the BA have a few extras.

its not a BA different

Its simply that I have never played a game, I need to do a lot of reading to find out how to play but its just a general idea

and how are general marines kited out?

Ah thats rather a broad question....its kinda tough to answer!

Theres a couple of links in my signature that might help, enemies 101 can give you a rundown on how to fight some enemies, whilst DarkGuard's codex marines 101 could give you a few basic pointers. I hope they help!

Generally you'll want your marines to be able to cover a spectrum of enemies, from infantry (standard bolters and flamers), elite infantry (plasma weaponry) and vehicles (autocannons for weak vehicles and melta for all vehicles)

If it's your first game, I recommend keeping the point value low...like in the order of 750 or even 1000. Less you have to worry about the more you can focus on getting used to the rules. :rolleyes:

Also, that Koremu guy knows what he's talkin about. Especially with Power Fists. Those things are everything you want as a marine.

Enjoy!

Don't worry thade, I'm not here to fight about power fists :P.

What I am here to say is that standard Codex Tactical Marines are armed with boltguns and bolt pistols standard. They can then have a few upgrades, but most of them will be boltguns and bolt pistols, so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to convert them.

How do you like to play? Stay at range and shoot. Or be more aggressive and more melee orientated? If the former go for Marines, if the latter go for Angels :).

bolt pistol and chainsword? or power weapon?

If you're asking about Sergeant equipment for an Assault Squad, I recommend a Power Fist.

If you REALLY don't want a fist, go with a single lighting claw. It looks cooler (imo) and is more effective than a power weapon, mathematically.

More fun to paint? I don't get that, Angels only have one scheme, Marines have a million trillion..... But hey, it's your army, and Angels have a nice, fast paced aggressive playstyle that Marines just can't get. :)

As for the combat weapon, I agree with thade on all points, but IMO a single lighting claw looks silly, single power weapon all the way. But then double lightning claws look sooo good :P.

As for the combat weapon, I agree with thade on all points, but IMO a single lighting claw looks silly...other drivel I couldn't hear through my burning rage...

Dem's fighting wurds. @_@

Actually, there was a time I very much agreed with you. My favorite model still is my (in-name-only) "Chapter Champion"...wielding a power sword in one hand and a chainsword in the other, both parallel and sort of out to the side while he looks forward. Very samurai. I really like it.

NOW that I have several Vanguard Vets with single lighting claws I like them. Especially the one guy with the Devastator down-on-one-knee legs and the Devastator sergeant sword sticking out to the side. Like he just landed from a Deep Strike.

Not Tactica at all...unless you consider it a tactic to distract your opponent with creative paint jobs. WHICH I DO.

EDIT: Just incase it was not abundantly clear..."jk". <3

More fun to paint? I don't get that, Angels only have one scheme, Marines have a million trillion..... But hey, it's your army, and Angels have a nice, fast paced aggressive playstyle that Marines just can't get. ;)

As for the combat weapon, I agree with thade on all points, but IMO a single lighting claw looks silly, single power weapon all the way. But then double lightning claws look sooo good :P.

The single claw can look awesome or awful, depends on pose and painting. I will go with a power fist though :) thank you

Its a colour scheme that looks good, its relatively fast to achieve a good result and its one of the few chapters I have the right paints for. I have commandeered most of my paints from old players or friends so they dried up - still work but not as well as new ones - but I just like their colour scheme.

Black is quick and simple for the Death Company, different shades of red for different marines is easy to achieve and its just quick.

I can turn out Blood Angels faster than any other chapter I have attempted so far ... that may also be down to the fact that I have got better/faster at at painting

I tried DA first - it looked OK but layering DA green was a chore

then black templars - my edge highlights are poor so they looked bad and the white was a nightmare

then ultra marines - they looked really good apart from scouts faces and I enjoyed doing them but I'm not playing an Ultra marine way [i don't think]

then attempted Imps - they were horrible, my white primer has gone way to thin so the ink failed :( Has anyone got any tips for stripping inks btw?

now to BA :) quick, easy and I can convert most of my above minis easily enough

A few of my troops have blood angel red parts on their armor...it takes me at least three coats, plus several washes to smooth it out if the area is sufficiently large. Don't gob it on there. :rolleyes:

You'll want to repost your stripping question there in the painting section, but briefly: soaking the model in Simple Green will strip almost all of the paint (primer is pretty resilient though) and break the bonds on most super glue (not plastic glue).

wielding a power sword in one hand and a chainsword in the other, both parallel and sort of out to the side while he looks forward. Very samurai. I really like it.

That does sound very cool, I want to sculpt a model thats converted to act as a leader with a dramatic unique pose...can we (vanilla marines) still take grey knight units as allies? If so I might get a box as they have some very cool components...and I could beef up my force at the same time..

I kind of think a single lightning claw looks silly....I'm not sure why, its like wolverine with only one hand able to extend claws, its not cool unless its symmetrical. Though that said, imagining the enemy he dices with it being turned into meaty cat food chunks is a cool image...

Glad you've found a chapter you like FallenLion, I collect ultras and although I don't really play, I often feel drawn to the 'divergent' codex's because of some of the cool things they can do...though I like the tactical flexibilty the vanilla units have too! If I were going to play a divergent codex it would be heavily melee based.........nothing like a good bloodbath :rolleyes:

oh it takes me three coats too but its a nice quick three coats - a 4/5 is I going for a brighter unit

I go:

Black primer

Macite red foundation paint

red gore - pratically same colour but it brings out the blood red more

thined blood red - not massively thinned

normal blood red

3/4 layers of red, comes out nicely :)

haha I stuck my minis in nail polish remover, of the tesco variety, normally works well with a tooth brush but I left them in there a couple of days because of my prom and now they are a MESS ... sorting this out for the game might not happen :( stupid plastic warping and resilient inks

oh it takes me three coats too but its a nice quick three coats - a 4/5 is I going for a brighter unit

I go:

Black primer

Macite red foundation paint

red gore - pratically same colour but it brings out the blood red more

thined blood red - not massively thinned

normal blood red

3/4 layers of red, comes out nicely :)

haha I stuck my minis in nail polish remover, of the tesco variety, normally works well with a tooth brush but I left them in there a couple of days because of my prom and now they are a MESS ... sorting this out for the game might not happen :( stupid plastic warping and resilient inks

• 2 weeks later...

Game went really well :P

I lost the 1st game miserably but then again I had lost my rule book so I had no special rules - demonets with 40 attacks I had no ideas of what my saves where :P

the 2nd game I kicked his ass with the rules, my captain took out a blood-thirster :tu: chapter-banner giving extra attack B), however he captured the objective [a tower's top level] because I charged my termis rather than shooting them :( I used the wrong tactic and lost but meh oh well.

Game went really well :P

I lost the 1st game miserably but then again I had lost my rule book so I had no special rules - demonets with 40 attacks I had no ideas of what my saves where :P

the 2nd game I kicked his ass with the rules, my captain took out a blood-thirster :) chapter-banner giving extra attack :P, however he captured the objective [a tower's top level] because I charged my termis rather than shooting them :( I used the wrong tactic and lost but meh oh well.

I'm glad you had a good time (at least, I think you did) ;)

Terminators have the Relentless special rule: they can shoot one gun and charge in the same turn.

Archived