Mephiston's HEAD?

Brother_Byhlli

In advance, brothers, apologies if this belongs to one of you, but I just discovered it on eBay and had to share:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mephiston-Cheif-Libr...b#ht_500wt_1156

Just... *sigh*....

nothing to complain about its 99 pence. You bid at the last minute and get mephiston for 1 pound. then give him a bath in brake fluid and you now saved your self 15 pounds!

I'm going to step in and defend this model: I dislike the current trend for dark, gloomy, shadowy painting making my gaming table drab and dull. I do not model and paint for realism, I like my game to be bright and playable; were I to collect Grey Knights, I would paint them Mithril, and only a slight wash for tone.

Although the colour mix is too garish to win a painting competition, and not very practical on an actual battlefield, this model is well painted, good drybrushing and toning, the face looks as natural as it can for this model, and I would be proud to get this out of my army box.

We are all snowflakes!

I'm going to step in and defend this model: I dislike the current trend for dark, gloomy, shadowy painting making my gaming table drab and dull. I do not model and paint for realism, I like my game to be bright and playable; were I to collect Grey Knights, I would paint them Mithril, and only a slight wash for tone.

Although the colour mix is too garish to win a painting competition, and not very practical on an actual battlefield, this model is well painted, good drybrushing and toning, the face looks as natural as it can for this model, and I would be proud to get this out of my army box.

We are all snowflakes!

I agree. It's better painted than a lot of the "pro painted" stuff on ebay. He's given it a low starting point instead of trying to get unrealistic sums for it. It's not the scheme I'd pick for him, but there has been some care gone into painting it.

What's wrong with it? It's not particular good no, but it isn't particularly bad either. Tbh, apologies to my fellow brothers, I've seen better and worse on this very forum. Doesn't really matter what WE think in the end, as long as the owner was satisfied with it. And if he was not satisfied with his own painting, then hopefully he possessed enough of Sanguinius's artistic cunning to improve his skills through practice.

I find it amusing how polarising such a subjective statement can be.

I do find that some people do overestimate their painting skill re: ebay listings. I feel given it's subjectivity that one should simply state an item as painted and leave it up to viewers to define the standard. Which we have.

Personally I don't think the painting is that great, I've seen worse, but unlike here where constructive cristicism is widespread whether welcomed or not. With the item in question it is not possible to do so, short of messaging them and telling them so.

It looks like an ok paint job from the mid-90's, judging by the Goblin Green base and grass. It's highlighted and shaded, just 20 years old and showing its age a bit.

Looks very similar to the one I bought on Ebay a while back, except mine appeared to have red nail-varnish covering the armour.

Archived