Conversion question

Fanon03

So I am doing a conversion on the Masters of the Chapter models for Space Wolves and wanted some opinions on one of the conversions I did. Just wanted to make sure the shoulder pad is not over the top on this guy before I go finishing it up. I may be doing another of these but want to test the waters first before going full bore on it. Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

gallery_53927_4866_1065092.jpg

gallery_53927_4866_1527062.jpg

gallery_53927_4866_1531269.jpg

Truth be told, I would cut out the neck of the wolf entirely. It sits too far from the model. It looks good as is, but if you removed everything from the ears back (more or less) it would work a lot better I think. You can definitely sculpt fur, so I would say go for it with slightly less protrusion.

-joe

Thanks for all the input. Going to start working on trimming the whole thing down and see if I can better mold the wolf head to the shoulder pad itself. Ill post pics hopefully later today.

So I did some creative trimming and dremeling to get the wolf head down to size. Used a little green stuff to get it back on to the shoulder and it is looking a lot better. Maybe still a little over the top but hey they're Space Wolves they're bound to be a little overly ostentatious at times. Any way check out the pics and let me know what y'all think.

gallery_53927_4866_1239823.jpg

gallery_53927_4866_2382970.jpg

gallery_53927_4866_2014185.jpg

gallery_53927_4866_919481.jpg

The size is not too large if you are using it to portray a real trophy head, painted in fur colours etc. However, I would consider adding more pelt to it once you have the backpack on, going round the neck and down part of the cape at the back.

If it's going to be painted as part of the Shoulder pad, then it does look a little oversized, but I've seen bigger!!! Painted gold and suitably shaded/highlighted, it should look fine.

Do you have a dremel tool? I suggest going to town on the underside, making it concave so it can actually rest securely on the shoulder. Just remove the areas from just behind the lower jaw all the way to where the bottom of the ear starts. Maintain a thickness of 1/2 to 1/4 a centimeter, and the head should look decent on the shoulder. That also leaves less greenstuffing work, which only emphasizes how high up it is in your photo.

I think the best way to incorporate the head into the model given the size is to make it an actual trophy kill and then sculpt an enormous fur cloak on the model itself. Like this was one of those really big fenresian wolves that even most space wolves give fair distance to.

It's still too big and will probably look silly if you keep it that way.

Here's three things you should do, in order of importance:

1. Remove the wolf's lower jaw. It will reduce the size and make it fit better.

2. Slightly trim down the shoulder pad to make the wolf head sit closer to the collar of the marine.

3. Sculpt some additional fur to the neck of the wolf to tie it in with the cloak.

Take a look at the WHFB Highelf mini Korhil. He has a lion head trophy on his shoulder that shows what I mean a bit more clearly.

Cheers,

Peter

if you want it to look like its part of the armour, i suggest going down the route another person suggested and using the wolf shaped helmet as a base, as an armour decoration its still too big by miles.

if its to look like a pelt of some sort then i suggest getting hold of the old space wolf pelt (can be found on gws website and most likely most bits stores) it has a smaller wolfs head on it, which if you make a suitable press mould for you can use to good effect, as can the one from the terminator sprues if cut down suitably to fit round a power armoured shoulder.

Archived