Imperial Fist Sergeant, test model

Redfinger

So this is my first test model for my IF army. I am getting a little tired of the "lean to the left, lean to the right" marines so I will be using a mixture of assault legs, modified assault/tactical legs and arms for all my marines, they will be in various running/walking/standing poses, just to give a little more variety to my troops.

I want to make this army look worn, like they have been fighting for quite a while, I just got done reading "Rynn's World" and I imagine that after such a long siege armor would look pretty worn...it put me in the mood to try and paint/weather the same for my IF's

As far as the paint job goes I think the yellow highlights are a bit too yellow, and I would have liked the red to pop a bit more, I will go back and fix it later, I am still waitning for the IF photo-etch and decals to come in from FW...

The battle damage was applied via brush and sponge, I am not totally sold on the effect...I am trying to go for more of a "real" looking effect as opposed to the stylized chipping you see on some models. The bullet holes were done with a drill bit, then a larger diameter drill bit was used just to create a slight divet around the hole.

Any way I would love to here others feedback on this effect, anyone have any good tips for doing this type of weathering?

Ashton

IMG_5281.JPG

IMG_5287.JPG

IMG_5285.JPG

IMG_5282.JPG

That's one of the best Imperial Fists I've seen!

Really liking the damage and wear and tear, think you've got it down prefectly.

The only thing I could think of would possibly be another tone added, but might push it in to the realm of stylized.

Anyhow, great stuff, look forward to seeing some more.

i love him he's great, i much prefer this to the really bright GW painting style. It reminds me of the model thats in the GW cheltenham cabinet painted by James Griffen ( Bronze Golden Daemon winner, who has also been asked to join 'eavy metal many a time). The head is great the armour is great, but maybe paint the buckle and the stuff in the top of the backpack behind the head. If you want him to look more battle worn maybe do the helmet partially destroyed a few more smaller bullet holes or maybe even some blood on the chainsword.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I will take it all into consideration as I keep moving forward.

The yellow was done by priming the marine in grey, then adding a base of Vallejo Chocolate brown, followed by Vallejo Golden Yellow. A second highlight was added of a 50/50 mix of golden yellow and sunburst yellow, followed by a final highlight of sunburst yellow.

Ashton

My only critique would be to make the bullet holes on his armor a bit more jagged...they look like perfect little holes drilled into the armor. If a bullet, or bolter shell (which explodes) was to hit the armor, it would make more of a jagged hole where it blew pieces of the ceramite armor off as it explodes.

Archived