Librarian abilities question

Plort

So I have a terminator librarian with a storm shield. He walks around with a terminator squad, no transport, so I think infinity gate is a must for him. The question is, what should I use for the other ability? I thought null zone or avenger, but what would be the pros and cons of each, or is there something else that would be more useful?

It really comes down to how you're going to use the Libby and the squad. If you're going to be assaulting units with hard defenses like Hammernators, Null Zone is invaluable. Avenger is a decent ability to give him if he's in a Tactical Terminator squad, to add a bit to the Cyclone Missile Launcher ranged fire.

That's really the benefit of having a Libby; you gain a huge amount of versatility that can help your army in more than the standard ways that wargear usually does.

The other benefit is usually you can swap those powers between fights, because it would be rather difficult to model the power onto the figure :D

I would recommend Vortex of Doom.

Termies have an invulnerable save if he fails Psychic Test, plus their bases are large so you'll hit maybe 1 or 2 terminators if properly placed and the librarian himself now has a trust 3++ to block those nasty hits if it does fail.

I would recommend Vortex of Doom.

Termies have an invulnerable save if he fails Psychic Test, plus their bases are large so you'll hit maybe 1 or 2 terminators if properly placed and the librarian himself now has a trust 3++ to block those nasty hits if it does fail.

Also, the Termie armor makes him Relentless so he can move and still use the Vortex, which is a Heavy "weapon."

Yes, I forgot to mention that too, Relentless and what not.

Really though, if you're paying for the TDA + SS, you might as well get the most powerful (Damage wise) power available, it doesn't cost you anymore and can really put the hurt on pretty much anything. This is the only time I would ever recommend Vortex of Doom.

Unless you're shelling out 50 more points for Epistolary, that's not much of a problem as you can't use both in the same turn. Didn't mention he was using Epistolary, but if he was I suppose that's something to think about.

If you have points to spare in a bigger game, it can be a nice combo.

Avenger is a good power, universally useful against any infantry model really.

Nullzone is also awesome, but it depends on who you play. I mostly play Orks + Guard, so i don't tend to take it. They don't have masses of Invulnerable saves.

For an all comer list Null Zone is probably the best option, I find that Vortex itself can be a bit hit and miss. Or rather, my brother finds that!

Anyway, as MagicMan says it depends on what you're facing. If you're running into Hammernators and Seer Councils etc then Null Zone is a must. If not many armies have an invulnerable save then Vortex could be good. Shadowstalker Grim has recently begun construction on a Psychic Power 101 if you want to have a look at that.

Archived