Ragnar Blackmane

Wulfebane

I've been working on this guy on and off for a few months now, but I'm finally getting to the end of the sculpting portion and closer to start painting. Felt it was time I put up a progression thread here.

C&C welcome.

This is the first pic I took with the original model behind him (blurred on purpose because.. well.. ick).

gallery_59676_5870_1299140.jpg

I stopped for a bit and recently picked it back up, so these are pics with a lot more work done.

med_gallery_59676_5870_1297410.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_809808.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_1349246.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_72913.jpg

I'm praying that your painting skills are as good as your greenstuff skills - that model is fantastic, never would have thought to convert Seth into a Space Wolf

you might want to remove the studs Ragnar is the youngest ever Wolf Lord and i dont think Wolves use studs

other than that its bloody brilliant a lot more dynamic that the ones ive seen using Korsarro Khan

Thanks everyone for your comments!

@keith: I would hesitantly say I'm better than average, but I'll certainly be treating this model with kid gloves as the painting goes on so that he remains a higher caliber than most of my other models.

@Kayesh: Wolves use studs! Though as I understand it, the studs for other armys denote a timeframe of service or something? Wolves are more.. simple than that. Here's an excerpt from the most recent Black Library novel, Battle of the Fang describing a Wolf at a time just after HH:

"A dragon tattoo snaked across his left cheek, terminating at his temple where six metal studs protruded from the bone. In another Chapter that might have indicated six centuries of service. Rossek wasn't that old - he just liked studs in his skull."

But you do bring up something I didn't think of - whether or not Ragnar should have those studs. I left them for aesthetics, but didn't consider whether they were suitable to the character.

:lol:

While not a SW fan myself, the crazy converter in me is always on the lookout for cool new stuff to blow lots of money and time on, and I've been considering a Ragnar model for some time now.

I've never read any of the novels or even know that much about the character, but I think the attraction was always his old figure. I know it's looking a bit dated these days, but back when I first got into the hobby and that model was new, it was one of the most awesome minis I had ever seen(him and Dante). To me, it's iconic, and shows what a great designer Jes Goodwin is.

I had been looking at Seth for a while now for a conversion use, and this is one I hadn't considered, and it is very well done. I've seen a lot of conversions for Ragnar out there on the interwebz, and this one is definitely near the top of my list for the best ones.

As others have mentioned: can't wait to see it painted. :)

Congratulations, I now like Ragnar Blackmane for the first time since.. ever.

Great idea using Seth, fantastic GS skills. Good work brother! *Makes sign of the Aquilla across his chest*

Paradill

Your GS skills are an inspiation, I especially love the fangs!!

Haha! I was waiting to see if anyone would notice his fangs were GS. That's perhaps one of my prouder moments in sculpting him, managing to get the GS small and intricate enough to match seamlessly to his original teeth.

Awesome armor colour. I usually don't like baby blue of GW modeller's but your is cool!

Yeah, traditionally I go with a hard-edge, whiter blue-grey armor, but I think I'm going to tone back on the blue for this one and make it a bit darker as well. So hopefully in the next few pics, that will be shown better.

Nice conversion and a solid paintjob so far. I might have to steal the Seth base idea when I get around to my Ragnar.

Nuuuuuuuu....

Atleast, when you do, make sure you don't take yours to Golden Demon at the same time I do.. >.<

Archived