Ragnar Blackmane

Wulfebane

Great looking conversion there! The pose is very dynamic and suits Ragnar better than the GW original pose. You managed to make him look like Ragnar too. Well done!

The paintjob is really nice too.

Woof!

So a comment cropped up in another thread that I should paint his hair blonde, instead of black, to highlight the cloak better. Someone else pointed out that the pelt he wears is from a particularly old wolf and that it might be more charcoal than say a jet black.

So I'll open the question up here also, to get a wider range... Should I go blonde or black?

The only source that has him blonde anymore is the 2E (and previous) codices. All of the book references have him with black hair and the 5E codex artwork seems to agree. I find the black more suitable in general, but I'm big on lore accuracy, and am always curious which is right. That said, I don't consider anything from the Black Library as official canon lore, since half of it contradicts the other half, etc.

I'm confident I can make the two shades dissimilar, but anyway, what color do you all think is more accurate, lore-wise?

Ok, it's nearly there. A few small details and basing (shown @ lower right of some images), but otherwise I'm very happy with how he's turning out.

med_gallery_59676_5870_228212.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_1328347.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_1464437.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_1391763.jpg

And here's some close-up shots. First one is mainly for showing the face detail. Second one is to highlight on the pommel guard.

med_gallery_59676_5870_1127884.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_1480219.jpg

C&C welcome. Hope everyone enjoys as much as I have!

Ok, so noob warning to all. Allllllways test your sprays before going straight to the model. Last night I sprayed a clearcoat on this guy and somehow got a faint grey coating the entire model. It looked like it had sat on a bookshelf for about a year. I managed to clean most of it off, but there are some desaturation issues which I'm forced to touch up.

Just a fair warning to all to test your sprays!

the only thing you need to fix a mistake is... patience

remember me when I mistook my spray cans and instead of varnishing a model... I primed it...

Good luck

I have to say, the Ragnar Blackmane figure is one of the figures I loath the most in the whole of the GW product line. I've found it to be painfully 2d in a line that is by design intended to be 3D and it never really conveyed the un-bridaled furiosity of the character. Ontop of that the model always seemed too bulky to me. Like he just had too much piled on him.

You're conversion however (BTW: Super props for taking a Vamp-marine and turning it into a Were-wolf Marine. Nicely done!), I think does the character far more justice. It's dynamic and active looking. It really looks like how I would expect Rangar to look. More then a little unhinged, waving a beef-cleaver of a chainsword around like the psycho he really is ready to cut any thing that pisses him off into more pieces then he should be in. I also really like the darker paint job on him. Very nicely done!

Archived