New FAQ "nerf"?

Prototype

I have not seen this new faq, but I would like some clarification

Does it mean you can still attempt to cast the same power twice if the first is a fail or does it mean you cannot even attempt to cast the same power a second time if the first attempt was a fail ??

A psyker can only attempt a power once, unless they have a specific exemption to that rule (the only one I can come up with with such an exemption is Ahriman).

Does it mean you can still attempt to cast the same power twice if the first is a fail or does it mean you cannot even attempt to cast the same power a second time if the first attempt was a fail ??

A psyker can only attempt a power once, unless they have a specific exemption to that rule (the only one I can come up with with such an exemption is Ahriman).

Eldrad's staff lets him reuse a power when out of combat.

Jorre- you are a genius.

I never thought of that.

This may be worthy of its own thread. If you've failed to do something you havent done it yet, have you???

Thoughts people?

For what its worth the FAQ just says you cant acst the same power twice.

Jorre- you are a genius.

I never thought of that.

This may be worthy of its own thread. If you've failed to do something you havent done it yet, have you???

Thoughts people?

For what its worth the FAQ just says you cant acst the same power twice.

Sorry Morticon, the FAQ specifically states the a psyker cannot "attempt" to cast the same power in a turn.

I really think the reason for this FAQ on this subject is because people were trying to do this.

Example: Mephiston attempts to cast Wings of Sanguinius, rolls an 11 for the test, then using his second power attempts to cast Wings of Sanguinius.

It just isn't fluffy. I can just see Mephy sitting there in his silly pose, arms bent at the elbow and fists clenched in front if him with his eyes squinted while letting out a grunt, then looking back to see if his magical wings have appeared. "Nope, not this time. I'll try again."

I really think the reason for this FAQ on this subject is because people were trying to do this.

Example: Mephiston attempts to cast Wings of Sanguinius, rolls an 11 for the test, then using his second power attempts to cast Wings of Sanguinius.

It just isn't fluffy.

Disagree entirely about the fluff. But, totally got what the FAQ has said.

As for people trying to do this. Plenty of people were doing this.

The reason for this was because the rules allowed us to.

(The following is now moot, but an explanation of why it was perfectly legal to do so)

* Mephy's rule clearly stated he can use 3 psychic powers a turn.

* The BRB clearly says psykers use one power a turn but exceptions are noted. (It also goes on to say only psychic shooting powers can only be cast once even if theres a special rule)

* Wings/sword/Rage are powers that are not psychic shooting.

* If at the start of your turn/casting time, you cast a power and fail, you can still cast two more powers.

* Wings/sword/Rage are powers that are not psychic shooting.

Cast, Rinse repeat.

They have directly contradicted their rules with this FAQ ruling, but its irrelevant as it's been done and this is the way we play it.

It just frustrates me as to the changes in our new codex to Mephiston even more. Especially when examples of HQ such as Draigo and Logan exist. I'd have rather Mephiston kept the statline he had and maintained his IC status then how he is currently. Is he good still? Yes. Does it make sense as to why they'd revoke his IC status to me when they've gone to such lengths to attempt to streamline the rules? No. Hell, they could have increased his toughness to 6, wounds to 4 and boosted his cost to 250 as it is currently and it wouldn't be all that OOT in comparison to the other high cost HQs that are not only CC beasts but also unlock some FoC choices, such as Paladins or Wolf Guard as troops. (Of which both have EW and an Invul. save to boot.)

/end rant

Hell, they could have increased his toughness to 6, wounds to 4 and boosted his cost to 250 as it is currently and it wouldn't be all that OOT in comparison to the other high cost HQs that are not only CC beasts but also unlock some FoC choices, such as Paladins or Wolf Guard as troops. (Of which both have EW and an Invul. save to boot.)

/end rant

If you think about it, T6 is better than EW. No stat can go above 10, meaning any T6 creature cannot be doubled out and can only insta-die on a force weapon, bone sword etc. But it does make him a lot harder to wound as well balancing out the setback.

You are right though, for his cost, he should be a montrous creature or something :) Or unlock some sort of FO bonus.

If you think about it, T6 is better than EW. No stat can go above 10, meaning any T6 creature cannot be doubled out and can only insta-die on a force weapon, bone sword etc. But it does make him a lot harder to wound as well balancing out the setback.

T6 is handy, yes, for not being wounded as often and not being vulnerable to ID versus strength-doubles-toughness weapons.

But it still allows you to be insta-gibbed by anything that inflicts insta-gibs. Which is really not as good as EW.

T6 is handy, yes, for not being wounded as often and not being vulnerable to ID versus strength-doubles-toughness weapons.

But it still allows you to be insta-gibbed by anything that inflicts insta-gibs. Which is really not as good as EW.

Just ask the nids... The only thing I would like to have seen on Mephiston is an Invul save of some kind. Though between the fact that until GKs most models that cause instant death were independent characters (most of who swing after Meph) who he could kill, or Expensive troops that meph could potentially instant kill.

I'd never trade EW for T6. There are so many things in the game that can instant death you regardless of toughness, an entire codex as a big example. And two toughness matters not when you lack an invuln save (which I don't think he should have, being a Librarian), anti vehicle weaponry still shred you just the same. I'd honestly just want him to have IC for whatever reason, be it his stats remaining what they were over what they are- it was not a trade I'd personally suggest. But, it's how it is so I play with it.

Archived