Scibor Sci Fi Angel.....

Kayesh

Has anyone bought any of the models there? Especially the bits. I'm curious if their stuff would work to add flavor to various space marine armies. I'd be interested in using the spartan style bodies for an honor guard of some sort, with the larger special character on the 40mm base as a librarian or captain in terminator armor.

I saw this a few days ago and I'm going to use it as a base to convert Sangiunius from. I might not do to much of the converting though as I love it all except the wings. So if anyone can point me to some good angelic wings I could buy to replace them with that would be helpful? I'll not be getting the model untill October, but when I do I'll put up some WiP shots or at least one of the compleated model.

They're cool models to be sure, the only grip I have is with some of the models it looks like if the character were to lift his arms any higher he would crush his own head with the ridge on the pauldrons. Also their pretty pricy $30 for 4 custodian models excluding arms, weapons, and pauldrons?

Then again they are the closet I have seen to actually Custodian models. So if I were to get them, where would I find the weapons and arms for them?

Edit: found the weapons.... I'll pass on those.

Has anyone bought any of the models there? Especially the bits. I'm curious if their stuff would work to add flavor to various space marine armies. I'd be interested in using the spartan style bodies for an honor guard of some sort, with the larger special character on the 40mm base as a librarian or captain in terminator armor.

I've bought several of the full sculpts and a large number of bits. I haven't had any problems- they were all good casts, with no mistakes and limited flash to clean off, and their scale fits pretty much perfectly with standard GW stuff. (The characters are a little bulkier than a normal trooper, but that really just helps them to stand out more. Their bitz look just fine mixed in with normal marine parts, as that's what they're for.)

With regards to the price... it's better than FW and not all that much above the retail value of GW stuff, so I didn't have to wince too hard at it. I feel it's worth it to have some unique and distinguishing stuff in my collection.

I bought a number of sci-fi knightly torso kits from scibor and they DO NOT fit standard GW marine parts very well at all.

There is no easy headswap using marine helmets onto scibor torsos and I have tried all manner of different version helmet/ heads to try and get it looking right without a fair amount of work and patience.

Also, the torso parts are VERY bulky compared to GW sculpts and just plonking a scibor torso on GW plastic legs looks damn awful.

They may be useful parts if going for a 'truescale' marine project, utilizing terminator legs etc as seems the standard for truescale work.

Let me be clear though:

I'm not slamming scibor, I own a lot of parts and components they produce, but do not think the torso sets are an easy option to add some diversity to your GW kits and models with a dab of glue and some bitbox foraging.

They require a lot of messing with, filing, tidying up and repairing of miscast parts ( although..you should be used to that by now if you bought any citadel finecast recently ;p)

As for the shoulder pads and other such extras like tank hull plate/wall reliefs etc, great stuff!! but again, a lot of prep work required...

I bought a number of sci-fi knightly torso kits from scibor and they DO NOT fit standard GW marine parts very well at all.

There is no easy headswap using marine helmets onto scibor torsos and I have tried all manner of different version helmet/ heads to try and get it looking right without a fair amount of work and patience.

Also, the torso parts are VERY bulky compared to GW sculpts and just plonking a scibor torso on GW plastic legs looks damn awful.

They may be useful parts if going for a 'truescale' marine project, utilizing terminator legs etc as seems the standard for truescale work.

Let me be clear though:

I'm not slamming scibor, I own a lot of parts and components they produce, but do not think the torso sets are an easy option to add some diversity to your GW kits and models with a dab of glue and some bitbox foraging.

They require a lot of messing with, filing, tidying up and repairing of miscast parts ( although..you should be used to that by now if you bought any citadel finecast recently ;p)

As for the shoulder pads and other such extras like tank hull plate/wall reliefs etc, great stuff!! but again, a lot of prep work required...

Interesting, hadn't bought any of the torsos, so no experience there.

I'm surprised you had such problems with cleanup and miscasts, the ones I received had only a few small mold lines and very little flash (except on the arm/weapon sprues) and virtually no miscasts at all. I'm curious which products you ordered- I myself had mostly the various angel "plates," some shoulder pads, and the Templar-styled knights, so it may have been just the respective kits or somesuch.

Let me be clear though:

Interesting, hadn't bought any of the torsos, so no experience there.

I'm surprised you had such problems with cleanup and miscasts, the ones I received had only a few small mold lines and very little flash (except on the arm/weapon sprues) and virtually no miscasts at all. I'm curious which products you ordered- I myself had mostly the various angel "plates," some shoulder pads, and the Templar-styled knights, so it may have been just the respective kits or somesuch.

The main issues I had were with the Sci-fi knightly torsos (the templar ones), you get 8 per pack. You need to drill and file out the back area of each 'gorget' cuppola that a helmet would be placed into. Maybe I got unlucky and that area was just heavily cast, but I had ordered a bulk order of parts and it got tiresome to fit each head correctly into the torsos. Here is a pic of how a sample few looked after fiddling for a while with scalpel and filing:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/carcharadon666/Picture037.jpg

Not too shabby but they really could have more space to fit a helmet into. As you can see the gorgets rise up into a peak right under a marines chin. They look very *fixed* and restricted to my eye. On the skeletal details and the chains on them the detail is quite badly cast on a number of the torsos I have to work on - they just do not hold the detail and look messy.

Yeah, that is somewhat unfortunate, as those heads don't fit particularly well. I'm curious how much different it is with Scibor's own heads/unhelmeted heads/etc, as perhaps that's what they were designed for more, but in either case that definitely limits their usefulness somewhat.

I obviously had a pretty different experience from you with regards to the casts, though, as the detail on all of them were pretty deep and held paint fairly well. *shrug* I suppose that's the danger of small-party casting done by individuals, it's easy to get hit-or-miss results.

The website doesn't show that much detail as that photo, to be honest I'm not massively impressed by the torsos. The finer details must be have been moulded, the underlying sculpt is a little disappointing. I'm pretty close to doing that myself, just lack the patience.

Mercadius - it's a little hard to tell from the picture but could you perhaps have raised the heads up a little by putting them on a small pile of green stuff or a ring of plasticard? Just to raise the chins up enough to get them above the gorget?

Mercadius - it's a little hard to tell from the picture but could you perhaps have raised the heads up a little by putting them on a small pile of green stuff or a ring of plasticard? Just to raise the chins up enough to get them above the gorget?

Yeah it seems the neck on the helmets is a little short.

The Sci-Fi Angel is as big, if not slightly bigger, than a terminator. Looks completely out of place as a power armored marine, but would be appropriate if you were building Sanguinius. I have plenty of items from Scibor, the bases are fantastic. The models are pretty good also but sometimes the scale is off ever so slightly.

I'm not a fan of the wings, but other than that I like the sculpt a lot. I'd be tempted to buy one to make a Sanguinius model, though I know my painting would never do it justice. He'd just need some BA-specific bling tacked on, and a different set of wings. I'm curious how many pieces the model comes in, seeing as the scibor site doesn't mention it.

The model is comprised of the body, the hand holding the daemon head, the sword from the hilt up, wings, and a 40mm base. When I ordered I did not specify which base I wanted, they just sent me one. It really is a beautiful model, but obviously too large to be a power armored marine and the armor doesnt have the bulk necessary to be terminator armor. Suitable for Sanguinius, but it would look out of place among 'normal' marines.

Archived