optimum number of vanguard

I field 6 to 8 if they're packless/in a LR, or 10 so I can combat squad them if they are flying and I intend to DS/HI with them. (I very, very seldom do the latter.) They always have an apothecary (priest) in tow if they're in the raider (and he stays in the raider).

I should add how I equip them (because someone will invariably challenge the usage of Vanguard based on cost).

- No more than one upgrade per model.

- For every model with an offensive/weapon upgrade, one model without an upgrade (or with a shield).

- Single Lit Claws, no Power Swords

- At least one Power Fist.

- 1-2 storm shields (these models have nothing else).

Alternatively: No upgrades. Or: 1-2 power fists (one in each combat squad for an HI).

Just trying to see if there is a consensus out there about optimal squad size for a vanguard squad. Who's got thoughts?

-CC

It depends entirely on how you plan on using them. I like them to drop in and kill something dead. A minimum sized 5 man unit has a small footprint that's easy to deep strike and and easy to find cover for. All offense and no defense with 3 power weapons and 2 single lightningclaws, 3 meltabombs for worst case scenario walkers and stationary vehicles. They will average 5 wounds on a MEQ unit without furious charge so things like long fangs should vanish off the table as quickly as possible with no chance to strike back.

They rarely survive but they always disrupts the enemies plan and usually make their points back.

Agreed with K&F's option. I usually run mine with either 3 Lightning claws and 2 SS or a PF and 2 PW depending on points allowance, 5 strong. Always used more as a disruption unit than anything in the games I've used them, they get in thick and die well.

I run mine very expensive, but i haven't got a grasp on how to use them to my best advantage yet. 5 strong with the sgt. PF/SS and 3x LC/SS and 1 BP/CCW. I always send them into the heat of the battle declaring HI. But they never survive long enough to get support in there. I am thinking of reconstructing them, so here is a way NOT to build them. Kind of the opposite of what you were hoping for, but still useful :)

Personally, I think running them dirt cheap is the way to go, as some are saying. Running them as a quick "one hit quit" distraction seems to work. But sinking 200+ points to justify (as I've done) this just seems silly.

Here is my minimal squad:

Sergeant - power fist & stormshield

2x power sword & bolt pistol

Thunderhammer & bolt pistol

Bolt pistol & chainsword

Here is max squad:

Sergeant - power fist & stormshield

3x lightning claw & stormshield

2x power sword & bolt pistol

Bolt pistol & chainsword

Of course both squads have jump packs.

G :)

I run five currently.

3 x PW, 1 x TH and one Infernus Pistol. They do one of two things: Win or Die (often from deepsrike mishap).

Adding two guys to that would make very little difference in my opinion. If they need support I'll co-assault (that's not a word...) a RAS to help thin out anything striking back. If I were to add to it it'd either be 7 or 8 to be 'spare' and take wounds so the boys with toys are still hitting next time or go up to 10 and combat squad them.

Having played my first two games with a very tooled up Honour Guard - 2 x Claw, 3 x Shield, Hammer, Champ and Banner; they are VERY expensive but I didn't lose a man either game - I'm tempted to do similar for the VV.

I've never been one to suicide-squad my Vanguard, but with enough storm shields and pressure coming from your main force, if they come in turn 3+ they can probably create some serious havoc for your opponent. I would definitely take a full squad of ten, minimize upgrades, and combat squad them. One out of two squads is more likely to find a juicy target than one squad which miiight scatter just out of range. Though with DOA that's not as big an issue as it otherwise may be.

If you run them like I do, they aren't actually a "vanguard" in that they're not diving in deep and dying right away; they are instead supporting one of my major detachments and counter-charging anything that gets too close to my guns.

Archived