Custodial Guard Test Fig

fiffa99

So just though id share this, tell me what you think! :(

gallery_48025_5997_220957.jpg

Obvi, it is far from finished. I still have to fill a lot of gaps and re-sculpt some areas. Im planning on completing a full Adeptus Custodes army based on this fig, over the summer. Suggestions?

ya i agree about the head, im just waiting on an order from scibor that has actual custodial guard helmets, the head was just a random one that i though looked cool lol. Im trying to keep as close to the artwork as i can, and in most images the custodial guard don't have back packs. For the shoulder pads, id like to give him some, but im not really sure how :s i might sculpt some raised detail on the current ones which may work, not sure yet.

I think it's a great attempt, but I agree with the comments so far. The weapon is exceptionally long (as evidenced by the support base and the need to put the guy on a rock). IMO you could shrink the haft by basically removing the criss-cross textured bit, which would actually balance out how something of that length and obviously topheavy would be held. Also, even though I think it's phenomenal overall, I'd remove the bullet strip on the halberd (and bolter, come to think of it). It breaks the fantasy of the model with the lack of gravity in its current position. I'd go with either an ammunition box or a clip.

What artwork are you basing this on, because if the guy has both a bolter/halberd hybrid AND a second bolter, it seems a bit redundant.

Other than that, I'm concerned with the pose. It's very stiff and he's kinda standing there like, "Is that cloud... a bunny... or a dragon....?"

ye im planning on fixing the arms to make them match with green stuff. I do realize the weapon is far to long now, so i plan on shortening it a far bit. Its actually just a bolt pistol in his left hand btw... I didnt know what else to put, because it just looked stupid without something in his hand. I just shaved off the bolters casings as well, as soon as you mentioned the lack of gravity it became really obviouse when i looked at the model. Thx for the input everybody :)

Much better! Might want to take notice on where the elbows meet up in relation to the torso and each other. The left arm is considerably longer than the other due to the elbow being lower. The right arm looks more anatomically accurate.

For input I'd think you could do something with him arms. You could try to pose him like the John Blanche painting of a Custodian

( http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/image...stodesimage.jpg ) you could also change the Guardian Spear to look like the art as well. I'm not really digging the scimitar.

Art work to help you:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/image...Legionaries.jpg

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/image.../Companions.jpg

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/image...odian_Guard.jpg

I kinda liked the scimitar.. then again, I like blades with a fluid-like curve vs. standard broadsword edges.

I really like that fourth image. Is that power armour or TDA? :D The helms make me think TDA, but regardless, it's awesome!

@fiffa99: I like the idea of the 2nd image, resting a shield on the ground. It'd definitely support the halberd and gold/red motif.. very spartan (if only it were a spear :P )... and it'll give that left arm something to do.

I changed the scimitar to the GK halberd end and added a blade to his left hand. I have one question about the arms, should i sculpt them both to look like the right arm or the left?

I changed the scimitar to the GK halberd end and added a blade to his left hand. I have one question about the arms, should i sculpt them both to look like the right arm or the left?

IMO they should be the length of the right arm (HIS right) but the look and feel of the left arm.

I must say I definitely love the weapon idea. Personally I would make it a loyalist bolter style and make it a side loading magazine fed bolter or even a bolt pistol if you want ot shrink it a bit. Just say its a bolt pistol and the custodes can do that because they have access to incredible weaponry. \

The problem with the arms is that the gloves you used, in gw heroic scale, should come up almost (if not all the way) to the elbow, so that's why the look too long. if you don't want full forearm gloves, i would cut the gloves down and (if you're comfortable enough using green stuff) taking a small snake of green stuff and sculpting the detail for the wrists. I hope that helps give you some more ideas.

Coming along great though, I'm loving the look so far.

-joe

Archived