Legio Angellus

Hey guys and guyesses. First idea for a WIP post. I was wondering if you guys would be willing to give some advice one some models for my DIY BA successors chapter Legio Angellus (latin for the Legion of Angels). I was also wondering if you guys wanted to see them. I am definitely no artist and my best models are starting to look like they might barely pass as tabletop worthy...especially compared to some of these models I'm seeing throughout this forum that are "tabletop worthy". It seems like a daunting task when such results are aptly displayed.

In case you can't tell I've only been in this for a year and I just recently started painting :P . And I do not hold a lot of confidence in my painting abilities :D

Thanks guys and guyesses,

Brother Excedis

Sorry its taking me a little bit to post the pictures. The only real decent camera available in the house is my Mother's droid and we are trying to set it up to send them over to my laptop. Hopefully that will occur tomorrow morning and the pictures will be posted soon after.

Thanks for your patience!

Sorry bout the other one. Placed it on the wrong section. I didn't know there was an ideas thread :lol:

And my mother frickin took off with her droid this morning even though she knows I needed it to post my pics........sometimes parents anger me....

Alright so a bit of a teaser. I wanted to do BA for a while there but I decided I really liked the idea of making my own successor of them. While not the BA it was still close enough and my own creation. So they were Angels fo Blood for a while then I remembered my latin classes and made the new name the Legio Angellus (Legion of Angels). For the paint scheme there is a lot of blood angels in it. I liked the black trim that Rafen had ont eh BA omnibus so I used that and a blood red base color. The lenses remained green adn the bolter is a pretty standard black and gunmetal coloration. Then the aquila or other chest emblems are a bright silver with a red wash. Then there are darker red slashes across the entire model front and back.

THe chapter mast, Commander Excedis, is the only one allowed to have entirely golden armor. The Sang Guard has one red shoulder and one with white wings. Captains have two red shoulders and gold armor and heads. Veterans will have both shoulders gold and their helmets gold but the rest is the normal chapter coloring. Then I have this one model I made out of bits a while back and decided he would be a hero of the chapter and have a bit of a unique to him gold red scheme.

I'm going to see about posting the pics later today......I'm really sorry about the wait you guys. I appreciate the interest though.

Sorry,

Brother Excedis

You can use this website's sm painter to give us an idea of the paint scheme. As for the bad painting skills, I can assure you that mine are worse, and there are plenty of people on this website who are more then willing to help you improve.

Alright this will be a bulk post. The last one was a test post to figure out the picture system :D

Here is one of my tactical captains, Captain Damus

gallery_62017_6274_898411.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_1268250.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_806612.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_189351.jpg

Here is Captain Koris, also a tactical captain

gallery_62017_6274_220414.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_1194839.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_334664.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_652050.jpg

Captain Minsc, the scout captain

gallery_62017_6274_309285.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_758345.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_339130.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_1260630.jpg

My semi complete Sternguard Veterans,

gallery_62017_6274_1090916.jpg

My in progress tactical squad,

gallery_62017_6274_1342053.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_630583.jpg

My unnamed heavy bolter conversion hero. I really like him and I'm working on experimental fluff for him

gallery_62017_6274_657979.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_67295.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_828999.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_713300.jpg

Thanks again for your patience guys!!

Brother Excedis

I used two spare predator heavy bolters, two plasma pistols, part of an autocannon barrel, the ammo feeds for the heavy bolters, an ammo case from a baal predator, and hk missile tube, tac legs, sanguinary guard head, and body bits from the death company kit :D I think I might start painting him right after i put the finishing touches on my one tac marine. Thanks Astrum

Painting is better than mine.

Love the pose on the scout Captain, it looks kinda hollywood gangsta.

The centre Sternguard is good , always loved that braced for firing stance.

Not feeling the poses of some of the other Sternguard though, it's the two on the left. They look like they are inspecting their bolters. If you're able to break the bond, mebbe try a similar head pose to the center one. That said, they are your marines, and if you want them posed like that for a reason, then go for it. Mebbe a little modelled joke...

'Hey, brother, did anyone tell you where the on button is on your bolter?'

'No, shhhh, just pretend it's working, nobody will notice.'

'OK, die xenos scum! dakka dakka dakka!'

Alright guys I know it has been a while since I posted some pictures but hopefully I will get some of my sanguinary guard up tonight. They are almost done, I just need to figure out what to do for the wings on the models. One guy has his jump pack wings doen up as a test but I have another idea...and he was a test model for it anyways so he will look a bit different.

Now a question. I do not like the idea of my marines running around in battle without a helmet no matter how you look at it. It is just plain stupid. At that rate an IG could come up and kill you witha lucky shot from his sidearm or anyone with decent military training could take a huge advantage of this. It just doesn't make sense. My heavy bolter guys does not hav a helmet because I made him forever ago but I decided he would be my former devastator captain (I am not running by codex but I decided to make my own organization for reasons I wil explain :P ) and say he got demoted because he lost a chapter relic helmet and is now banned from helmets until he can find the one he lost. So I've decided my scouts will not be helmetless. Now I like the cadian helmets with rebreathers idea so it is somewhat close to the helmet of the SM's. Plus my guys will primarily be fighting Tzeentch and Nurgle CSM's so fluffwise they would get diseased or turned form something airborne otherwise. But what do you guys think?

They're definitely better than my first minis. My suggestion is to water down your paints and try to cover the area with multiple layers. I.e if you watered down the purple on the cloak and added 2 more layers the color would be a lot smoother.

As for the Helmets go for it. Another thought is I've seen some stripped down sm helmets (file off the top vent) on scouts that work really well.

Alright well here is some more pics

This is my in progress Sanguinary Guard...believe it or not they were my first models I painted with Citadel Paints....my first paintings were with testors enamels.....terrible decision....which was rectified by Simple Green!!

gallery_62017_6274_359137.jpg

Here is the heavy bolter hero in progress

gallery_62017_6274_770454.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_39404.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_695638.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_757787.jpg

Now here is my new and unnamed assault captain built out of two TDA lightning claws (used because they have a symbol on them very similar to my chapter symbol) and Death Company bitz

gallery_62017_6274_538261.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_954217.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_1115328.jpg

gallery_62017_6274_257022.jpg

Please feel free to comment and complain.....I mean provide input :D Which is highly valued btw thanks again guys!

Brother, great looking models.

Some suggestions on painting. With your color scheme you should base black. With a metallic that will help you tons. The second thing you should do is pick up a devlan mud or gryphonne sepia wash. Put it over the whole model, let it dry and see how it looks.

The color scheme is great and the red and gold go well together. Just a few little hints above should help you a ton.

I use the devlan mud for any kind of scrolls on my regular troops and badab black for their shading. I detest how highlighting works for my standards. It looks good on many models and many of you out there do it well and again it looks great. I just like my models to look like they just put a fresh coat of paint on their armor and jumped into battle.

The SG are special however. I painted them up after several layers of gold and such and then slathered badab black all over the model. Then I repainted anything green, blood red, or white. This made them stand out immensely. I do use gryphonne sepia on my bright gold models and I like the subtle hints it gives it but I will see how much a darker use of it works out.

With regards tot the basing black I did that on the SG and liked their dark undertones. However I did a white basecoat for the rest of them because I wanted them to stand out as the heroes and leadership of the chapter. So they would be brighter gold compared to the rest of the chapter being a bright red. But I did the SG that way to stand out in their own way and look a bit darker in comparison.

If I seem arguementative I am incredibly sorry. I don't do it on purpose I just like for people to know what I'm thinking so we can figure it out from there :sweat:

Thanks again brothers, I do really appreciate the help and pointers.

Brother Excedis

You've got some great work going on here!! well done! ;)

But, if I may offer my point of view:

The sheild on Captain Koris looks great, you've done a really nice job on that and if you apply that to the rest of the metals throughout your army, it will look fantasic.

As for the gold, the SG gold looks fantastic and again, if you were to apply that to the rest of the gold in your army, it will look fantastic.

I think what a few of the above post are trying to say is you can still have fresh clean looking models if you add a wash ie devlan or even baal red into the recesses of red models etc. Doing so will add a bit of depth to your colours! :P

I love the HB hero, he looks like he's just done the ol' "I'm outta ammo! Look there's a wrecked Predator, I suppose they won't mind if I borrow THIS!" Hahaha Love it

Yours in Honour, Faith and Blood,

Chaplain Hiltraud

[EDIT: BTW have you considered using a spray undercoat? It will be a lot quicker, easier and provide a nice even base to work from...]

Hey guys and guyesses. First idea for a WIP post. I was wondering if you guys would be willing to give some advice one some models for my DIY BA successors chapter Legio Angellus (latin for the Legion of Angels). I was also wondering if you guys wanted to see them. I am definitely no artist and my best models are starting to look like they might barely pass as tabletop worthy...especially compared to some of these models I'm seeing throughout this forum that are "tabletop worthy". It seems like a daunting task when such results are aptly displayed.

In case you can't tell I've only been in this for a year and I just recently started painting :P . And I do not hold a lot of confidence in my painting abilities :P

Thanks guys and guyesses,

Brother Excedis

Okay, I am going to be the black sheep here, flaming welcome but I don't believe most of these posts are actually going to help you with you army so I will make no appology for this, I'll just be the first person to say "yeah I'm a prick" however I think I can offer some good advice.

When I first started the hobby I, like you, had a love for converting and still to this day find it the greatest joy the hobby brings me. I also shared another common trait with your work, all my conversion were too 'big' and the conversions made everything look like it had been 'retro fitted'. It is really common for people who are just starting in the hobby to do this and I had to begrudingly learn that not every space marine had to weild 'the biggest two handed ogre sized claymore' that he could find. Your heavy bolter coversion with the predator heavy bolters stuck together. The weapon is considerably bigger in size and mass than the marine and just look rediculous. I can see the idea you were going for and it is a cool one, Kind of like the scout with the heavy bolter only for a power armored marine. However I think you would find the conversion more appealing with only a single pred heavy bolter, maybe extend its barrel a little and give it an ammo box on the gun instead of an ammo feed that doesnt lead anywhere.

The scout commander I believe is a far greater triumph. I think the pose is off a little with the sniper being held out like it is however the gun is cool and different like a conversion should be, but the conversion is also relatively clean and not overpowering the whole model, so well done on that.

Now painting. Table top models are not nearly as hard to produce as many people believe, you have spent lots of time and money making these models so lets give them a finish that shows off your conversions! The only skill you need to make a good looking model fit for the table is this. 'Paint within the lines' and you can do this! I suggest you take a little more time on each model just neatly applying the base layer. Also remember as a rule to ALWAYS WATER DOWN YOUR PAINTS, it helps make it easier to paint within those lines as well as giving a better finish to the model.

Once you can do this you need just apply a simple WASH, one used for each seperate color on your mini and you will get a decent shading effect on your entire miniature with very little effort. So start simple.

Step 1: Water down your paint a little

Step 2: As neatly as you can apply the base colors too the model (this is the part where you should spend the most time)

Step 3: Wash each part of the model with a wash to add shading. For gold try devlin mud, for red also devlin mud, (you can do most things with this color) and for metal use 'badab black.

Also a really good trick to painting black is making or using a dark grey and then when its dry applying badab black over it. this gives a shaded black look.

So please take this as some simple advice that will really improve the look of your models. I applaud you for putting so much effort into converting your models and seeking opinions/suggestions on forums so I hope you take this as adivce and not in any other way.

Please try those 3 steps and I think you will be amazed at the results. I've seen kids come into my local hobby stores just doing those 3 basics really well and coming up with fantastic results.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Crynn

Thank you Chaplain Hiltraud. The HB hero was exactl;y what I was going for. @Crynn I made him out of boredom one day awhile back when I had osme extra bitz and no green stuff. I didn't really mean for him to be taken seriously I just liked how he came out and thought he was cool.

Also I odnt believe you were really being a prick Crynn. It is constructive criticism that really gets through to people on how to make things better. While applause is great and encourages you to go for broke and try something new, the criticism is what makes sure you have the basics or the biggest sections down pat and correctly, making the extras look so much better. And thank you. Also I was wondering, I really like the black to gold of the SG but I have no idea how to go form that to an incredibly bright gold that I want on the commanders. Also thanks ont he scout commander....he wasn't exactly on purpose to look that cool. However the sniper thing was I could not for the life of me figure out how to incorporate a storm bolter on him without being fired. The sniper rifle was just last minute too.

I really appreciate the feedback guys. It is really helpful and on the next model I paint (my sternguard veteran sergeant) I will apply these techniques to the best of my ability.

Now those of you who havn't been the "prick" of the thread do not believe I am not listening to you. I really appreciate the support and it definitely is what made me post my SG cause I was really worried about those.

Thanks again guys adn hopefully I will find time to start one of my pieces of armor soon (one of my preds (one is a baal), my stormraven, or one of my two LR's)

Brother Excedis

Archived