Planetstrike

vorticone

Warp Spiders.... good all around unit- expect him to take the grenades strategem so they all have meltabombs.

Ug, that's a nightmare.

The battle is done, the game is won.

Battlefield and my list:

I set up my objectives in one quarter of the game area. Eldar choose far left side for deployment. Bastion on a hill with Devastators and Ammo Store stratagem, Thunderfire Cannon on the bastion's tower. The bastion itself has a missile silo. Right short flank is covered with forest which counts as mined, so dangerous and difficult terrain, with one road in for my reserves. Two bunkers with mounted quad guns and some trenches cover the bastion on the front and left side. One bunker has a Tactical Squad with Plasma Gun and Missile Launcher, the other bunker has my 5 Sternguard together with my Librarian in Terminator Armour. The trenches are occupied with two more Tactical Squads with Flamers and Heavy Bolters, both squads combat-squadded. My reserves are LR Redeemer with 5 Hammer Terminators, LR Helios, Land Speeder with HF/MM and Predator with AC and Lascannons.

Eldar list:

Prince Yriel, Asurmen, Striking Scorpions, Fire Dragons, Dire Avengers, 2x Swooping Hawks, 2x Fire Prism, Warp Spiders and some Wave Serpents and Falcons. Transport have Bright Lances.

Battle report:

Eldar uses Night Fighting stratagem and Supply Drop stratagem. Orbital bombardement kills a single marine, destroy the missile silo on my bastion and shakes the bastion. The shaken is probably the most severe. All in all I am very lucky. Turn 1 all Eldar units except his Warp Spiders arrive. He deepstrikes both his Swooping Hawks in the small space between my bastion and the right table edge but does not deviate. I announce my Krak Attack and kill 7 of 10 Swooping Hawks (I am a lucky roller this time). All his other units speed in from the left table edge towars my lines. In the shooting phase he rolls high enough visibility to shoot one bunker with his linked Fire Prisms and it is destroyed. Swooping Hawks run, I announce Minefield and kill all but one remaining model. The last surviving Swooping Hawk attacks the bunker but rolls too low penetration (yay).

My turn, LR Redeemer arrives from his drop zone and LR Helios arrives from the opposing side. Helios kills the remaining Swooping Hawk as no other targets are available. Redeemer deploys Terminators and together they destroy one Fire Prism. His transports are too fast to hit in melee or out of visibility due to Night Fighting.

Second turn his Warp Spiders arrive, but deviate on Deep Strike and so can only attack my Sternguard/Librarian and cause two losses. His Fire Dragons speed towards my second bunker, fire their meltas and only shake it. My terminators are all but one killed by his Dire Avenger Bladestorm and their melee charge.

My turn sees the Predator arriving in his tanks backside, and my Land Speeder finally arriving on my table edge. I wipe out his Fire Dragons with my Tactical Squad leaving the building.

Third turn finally ends Night Fighting. The Dire Avengers finish my last terminator. His Warp Spiders are 1" too short to assault my bastion. His Striking Scorpions assault my trench and wipe out one Tactical Squad. Not much else happens on the Eldar side as most his vehicles are shaken and his units out of range.

My turn I totally wipe out his Dire Avengers and Striking Scorpions with a mix of 2 Flamestorm Cannons, Whirlwind Launcher, The Avenger, Flamer and a couple of Boltguns. Before I kill his remaining tanks he forfeits.

Conclusion:

Next time I will start with Land Raiders on the table as AV 14 should be all but immune to orbital bombardment. And I probably will not bring Hammer Terminators again, at least not when defending against Eldar. They killed a tank and then were wiped out. So much for my beloved unit. I'd rather take two Dreadnoughts next time.

Archived