BA Capt'

FallenLion

Ok so I got my BA codex today, my first game is this weekend, I more or less [less] have my force assembled / painted in their shiny new BA colours.

But I have no independent character, hence a capt' is needed.

whats the best way to kit out my capt'?

In the future I am buying a libby and a chapy but for now I need a workable capt'

my current is a basic AoBR conversion - added helmet rather than face, and bolt/plasma pistol rather than bolter but I have no idea how that plays or how I should equip him

Well, thats one opinion. however, if you were to go down the Captain route, then I'd have to suggest a pair of Lightning Claws and a Jump Pack. Maybe Meltabombs if you feel like it too. Turn him into a squad killer, and leave the instant-death stuff to your squad sergeants with power fists or thunderhammers...

It's not very WYSIWYG though. The problem with the Captain in this edition is he has the exact same stats as a Libby or Chaplain with none of the benefits, and no nifty special rules himself (unlike in C:SM). His only benefit is his low cost, which by the time you've kitted him out is not really much use. That said, I really like captains fluffwise, so go with what you like.

captains (sadly) dont add anything to the BA army that the other HQ's cant add either <_< whats worse is that they lost their ability to provide army wide LD 10 (the only thing that they had going for them to be fair...)

mind you they are the only HQ that you can customize to have just about anything but upgrades that would make them worthwile (relic blade, artificer armour to go along side a storm shield) have been left out of the codex so eh....

aside from fluff or personal taste i see no reason to take them...sadly -_-

It's not very WYSIWYG though. The problem with the Captain in this edition is he has the exact same stats as a Libby or Chaplain with none of the benefits, and no nifty special rules himself (unlike in C:SM). His only benefit is his low cost, which by the time you've kitted him out is not really much use. That said, I really like captains fluffwise, so go with what you like.

Ummm... +1 WS + 1 BS + 1 W +1 I +1 A are all very different stats if you ask me. (iMind you the Reclusiarch is very close)

As others have said the common build is to not build him at all.

I would go the count as route and let him represent a Reclusiarch or Librarian, because who gives a <_<?

It is a game... it's meant to be fun. I you don't have the time or opportunity to get a hand on another HQ then just proxy it.

Would be no problem for me. Especially not in a casual game.

Captains aren't always useless. The point as to why we don't take them is because they don't have a buff to give out, which means it's more effective to take a Reclusiarch.

However, if you are already taking a Reclusiarch (or Librarian with Unleash Rage), then he is a better character to add to the same unit. Fun Fact: Captains are the only characters who can take Twin Lightning Claws that have more than two base attacks. Of the 3 choices, he is the best single killer. Equip him with the claws, make sure he gets re-rolls to hit and Furious Charge, and add him to a squad to add some slicing-and-dicing.

At 155 points (including jump pack), his 5 WS6, S6, I6 re-roll hits and wounds attacks on the charge are good.

But, thats 155 on top of the 125, 155, or 175 you already spent on a libby/reclusiarch/epistolary. It's a decent cost. I would venture to guess, though, that a Captain, priest with Power Weapon, and a libby/reclusiarch would greatly beef up the killing potential of a regular Assault Squad.

I just need to make one myself to try it out.

BA Captains are political figure heads and logistical geniuses.

Dont forget tactical. Dante fights a time traveling necron lord for fraks sake!

Yes but Dante is Lord Commander.

Captains aren't always useless. The point as to why we don't take them is because they don't have a buff to give out, which means it's more effective to take a Reclusiarch.

However, if you are already taking a Reclusiarch (or Librarian with Unleash Rage), then he is a better character to add to the same unit. Fun Fact: Captains are the only characters who can take Twin Lightning Claws that have more than two base attacks. Of the 3 choices, he is the best single killer. Equip him with the claws, make sure he gets re-rolls to hit and Furious Charge, and add him to a squad to add some slicing-and-dicing.

At 155 points (including jump pack), his 5 WS6, S6, I6 re-roll hits and wounds attacks on the charge are good.

But, thats 155 on top of the 125, 155, or 175 you already spent on a libby/reclusiarch/epistolary. It's a decent cost. I would venture to guess, though, that a Captain, priest with Power Weapon, and a libby/reclusiarch would greatly beef up the killing potential of a regular Assault Squad.

I just need to make one myself to try it out.

This is the best post in regards to BA Captains I have seen yet.

I run a captain as my commander most times, just because I like the idea of the captain leading the force (I run heavy on the tactical squads, so it has a "one company" feel to the force).

Kit mine w/ maybe the worst weapons for a captain: hand flamer (thus wasting his higher ballistic skill) and thunderhammer (okay, that's a decent-ish option).

And I love him!

I have always found that the worse the model is in theoryhammer, the better they perform for me on the table.

Cheers.

In my case there are no less than 6 chappies for my BA army. I didn't get into magnetizing at it's peak so I have 4 in Jps (one formerly a biker) and two walking. But alas my 3ed , 4ed, and even PDF useful chappies are gathering dust in a big black skull covered Reclusium assault squad of Doom. I also have no less than 4 kitted out Captains also unplanned or used as SGTs when needed: Replaced by a Libby who is cheap and does work. I had a whole squad of libbys I was going to make into a display as a episilitory and a codices librarium squad. And now one has actually been pressed into service. The question I really have to ask goes back to the C:SMs that had traits replaced by the current edition WHY THE EFF DOES MY CAPTAIN NOT HAVE RITES OF BATTLE. army wide L10 was worth taking his gimp ass.

Making a playable, legal BA list is easy, making one that works for you is a different story. I'm an old school rhino rusher, crushed by the rules, then an all JP army taking advantage of 3rd C:SM when BA was a supplement ahh the days. I even ran the goofyest shooting gunline PDF army; maximizing the rage roll for a DC that averaged about 12 models in 1500pts. Now I'm back to my old tricks in razorbacks backed by vindis spitting hate.

Bottom line you have to decide what works for you. When in doubt BAs in rhinos are a formidable and mobile opponent. It's also not too hard on the wallet. RHINO RUSH! I mean...who is excited for 6ed?

problem with sticking a captain in a squad with chaplain and SP (for the reroll and FC respectivly) is that you just pumped out (guessing jump packs here) 300 points to make 1 model more lethal :huh:

yes he will have 5 WS6 S5 rerolling to hit and to wound attacks. but if you factor in his own cost you have invested 455 points in 3 IC's (one with only 1 wound and no invul save) and thats even without taking into effect the cost of the unit itself <_<

look, WS6 is nice no doubt here. yes you can customize him and give him dual claws. also no comment, because its true.

problem is though that compared to the other HQ's he adds NOTHING aside from his own killing power.

Librarians have hoods and powers

chaplains make the unit fearless and grant reroll to hit on the charge (and to wound with DC :) )

sanguinary priests add FC and FnP (not hq's but just noting that they are adding something :P)

all of the above are force multipliers. aside from kicking arse themselves they make those around them kick ass as well :lol:

the captain....not so much :wacko: perhaps if he had a rule akin to the tau ethearel(sp) (preferred enemy if he dies) like its been mentioned in the fluff as what generally happens (marines fighting harder to avenge his death) or if he would give rites of battle (like only Tycho now still does <_<) then he would at least have something else going for him.

he also isent cheap either as you still have to kit him out (unless you want BP/chainsword?) so uh...yea..

doesent have much going for him sadly. does that mean they are useless? no. Of the generic IC' s he still has the highest WS, so hes generally the best character to take out other HQ's with. LD10 for a squad is nice too (even if the other HQ' s give equal effects) and shouldnt be overlooked.

Its just that of the available HQ's we got we have force multi pliers (abit less powerfull themselves but buff your army) and brawlers (do the damage)

force multipliers fit more keenly in my army. brawlers though are far from bad but that role is generally taken by other characters Mephiston, sanguinor, Astorath to name but a few (speaking of Astorath, he does both. he makes people succumb easier to the thirst, hes a chaplain and he has a S6 power axe that forces rerolls....REALLY hard to compete with that :blush: )

Astorath to name but a few (speaking of Astorath, he does both. he makes people succumb easier to the thirst, hes a chaplain and he has a S6 power axe that forces rerolls....REALLY hard to compete with that <_< )

The whole post was good, but this part gets a <_<

My captain has a plasma pistol (wrist mounted from SG) and power sword (DC) for no reason other than I thought they looked cool. He leads a foot HG. He is primarily there for story reasons, as some-one said above, for 'normal' tactical type missions where I wouldn't expect them to break out a reclusiarch or a librarian.

People play stories, campaigns, challenging missions with minimal special powers. The captain has a place in all of this, and excels in the model building side of the hobby. You'd sometimes think in the posts that 40K is only about achieving marginal edges in 1500 point games. In my games, we tend to have HQ models (who are individuals even when they aren't ICs) sitting out for the next game if they get killed, so we tend to see a variety of models rather than single favourites.

I like the sound of the two lightning claws, but I haven't found a plastic version of the opposite hand from the commander set. The only pairs I have are for the terminators. Where is the other PA one?

I like the sound of the two lightning claws, but I haven't found a plastic version of the opposite hand from the commander set. The only pairs I have are for the terminators. Where is the other PA one?

The only set I've found was a veteran blister pack had 2 metal lightning claws

Archived