Special Diorama Idea

Firstly if this is the wrong place to place this thread I am terrible sorry. I am still fairly new here and trying to find my way like a drunken squirrel.

But I have this idea for a diorama miniature I want to do for my girlfriend. I wanted to know what you guys thought and some tips or help or such. I want to do a wounded space marine...like gravely wounded....lying there with his helmet in terrrible shape lying of to the side and maybe holding a weapon or not but have maybe a power sword buried into the ground just next to him. Then kneeling beside him is a sisters of battle hospitaller. I like her armor style and the little doodad on her arm. I would have her kneeling next to him, with her one arm maybe on his breastplate and the other holding his head up...maybe ;) . I also like the idea of giving her angelic wings like the ones from the astorath the grim miniature....I know not exactly a great model with regards to purpose but I really like his wings.

The next bits are probably going to sound really corny as a heads up. But i wanted to sculpt the face to look a semblance like hers (hairstyle mostly), and make the marine pretty bloodied up. Maybe some flesh wounds on the face, definitely some serious damage on the armor. Blood kind of running down along certain parts of the armor where there may be bullet holes or a sword gash or something. And then maybe some blood pooling on the basing of the whole thing. I do not have an idea for the basing of the thing but I do know I want it on a terminator base at least.

Does anybody have any ideas, questions, comments, or tips? It would be incredibly appreciated, and as I make some semblance of progress on it (money is kind of tight what with leaving for college in two months) I would definitely post it up here.

Thanks,

Brother Excedis

Unless you are going to be building this soon, I think that it belongs on one of the idea threads.

Anyway, this sounds like a fantastic gift! I know that sometime during the summer the new Sisters codex will be released, so you should get a plastic sister model from that, whether or not she would need further conversion depends on the models released obviously, so I can't help there.

Games Workshop does sell wounded SMs though, three for the depressingly high cost of $22.25. the SM painted in silver might have the look your going for, or even the ultramarine would do so long as you replaced the skull with a head.

For the helmet, a great battle worn one is mounted on a chaos trophy rack, clip it off, trim it, and maybe drill it so that it's hollow. The helm as three nice looking slashes right across the front, bisecting the grills on front, and has a really nice damaged look.

Sorry for being long winded, let me know if the suggestions were helpful.

They were wonderfully helpful. Cause I really do not like the hospitaller head and I am very new to green stuff and anything but an artist (I'm told otherwise but moving on). I thought about the wounded SM's but I didn't like how much action the silver one is going for (albeit it is fitting of an SM) although the ultramarine one does sound plausible. I might just model one though. And do you know approximately when the new SOB's are coming out? That would make many of my friends and I very happy if they came out soon.

Also how would I go about switching it? Because it may be sometime until I start this what with moving into a military university coming up (and the first weeks of my rook year training.....dont get to be a freshman until march).

Thanks

For the sisters update, anytime between now and September. Maybe. I don't work for GW, so the best I can do is supply you with rumors.

For the ultramarine, first I would use clippers to try and remove most of the skull, and then use a hobby knife to scrape out the rest. You may need to use green stuff to smooth out any irregularities. I understand that you are new to gs, but there are dozens of how-to tutorials for gs on this site alone. But be sure to practice with it before hand, make sure you are comfortable with it before you use it for the diorama.

Good Luck!

I haven't seen that much corn since my childhood in the country! Just joking of course! You're lucky to have found a girl who would appreciate that sort of gift. I would suggest converting the marine to create a more knight-type warrior, so look at some brettonian or black templar bits. And I would experiment with some cotton wool for a foggy environment, so it looks a bit more surreal than a straight battle scene.

Good luck to you, I look forward to seeing progress!

Thanks for the ideas guys!! I'm kind off hesitant about using knight parts though....I do like the knightly idea and everything that brings with it.....but I kind of wanted him to be a marine from my chapter. Then would come what is his rank and position etc etc....so if he has a power sword he is at least a sergeant. Then you could et into well she's taking care of a captain or something but then would it make hte captain look like a wuss?....honestly I'm liking the sergeant idea.

Now should i just start off with trying to get the space marine right and also use him to practice some green stuff skills before I begin upon her when the new kits come out? The only thing I'm worried about with that is positioning him wrong for when she gets ready. I'm also contemplating making him grip the handsle of the blade like his grip is slipping.

Any more thoughts?

I would get the sm now before prices rise again. Practicing on a different mini first would be a good idea, it would allow to gauge how well you can use the stuff, and you can start to plan out how to convert the sm mini.

If you stuck with plastic, you would be able to do everything you wanted. I'd also mount in on a 40mm to a 60mm base. Using the sister hospitaller model, I'd use the plastic dark eldar arms, if your greenstuff skills are good, and lop off the part of the arm you want with the little device thingy to reattach it. This has a lot of potential. If your greenstuff skills aren't that good, I'd have a friend do the smaller parts.

As to the captain looking like a wuss, I don't think so. Remember this is your gift to her. Don't think about what you'd like. Think about what she would care about. The fact that it would be a captain, would be more significant, in my eyes at least.

That is very true. I did begin the work on the SM last night and I am very happy with how he is coming along so far. I will try to post a picture of him soon but I can give a desciption. He looks almost like he was trying to crawl away and has one limp leg. I will be going back to do some serious damage to his armor etc. I do have a torn up bolter and helmet as well as a couple of bolter mags for the scenery a bit. I do hear rumors of the SOB's being rereleased in plastic and such so I might wait for that a bit. After all I told her it might not be until our two year that she gets it. Maybe even later ^_^

A year or two in waiting? Dear sir, I do not know if you know how women think, but I think you need to buy another gift, and call it a "just because" gift. That will serve to purposes. One: Get you out of a potential dog house (I don't know your girlfriend, but I do know how a lot of different women think, thank you college level relationship psychology courses). Two: It shows that you're still thinking about her and will earn your brownie points (one can never have too many brownie points).

Note: And for those of you that have problem understanding women or dating, take this nerd's approach and shell out the dough for a relationship psych course. It's well worth the money, and if any other collegiate fellow nerds on B&C have taken the course, they'll more than likely agree with my assessment of the course, professors of course not being able to be factored by such a statement.

alright nephilim you made me laugh my fool head off at a time when I most need it....working ten hours at a food store and coming home to grumpy (very nice way of wording it) parents was not fun and that made my night. Now I gave her that time frame mostly because I am going to Norwich University in just over a month as a corps of cadet and marine corps rotc cadet. Their cadet program at norwich is more rugged, time consuming, and strict then any military college, university, or academy (as stated to me by several high ups from each of the branches so don't own me for this comment) and they do not allow time for this for at least the first few months if not until much later :huh: .

However in response to how she is she is very much like minded to myself...got really lucky with that. Afterall she is starting a tzeentchian CSM army very soon. And she found this thread.....damn you google!!!!!!!! and damn you search function!!!!! :P

Plus our one year was just this past may so it gives me time!!!

And I am going to go with the captain idea you suggested. I just picked up a BA death company box for the bitz I will need so I will probably have the base for my captain done tonight.....gotta see if I can bend the fingers on a bolter hand like the one guy suggested....why doesn't my lizard use a heating lamp?

Sorry if I rambled....its late at night for me and I had a long day at work so I get a bit random or rambly sometimes..... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Alright so I do indeed have the captain done and dealt with, however I probably remove his backpack and make that battered but I don't really know if I should. Any Ideas?

One question. I want to mount this whole thing on a larger then normal base and I do not think the terminator bases are big enough but I don't like the "scenery" already on the dreadnought's base though I might like its size. Does anyone have any idea on what size to use and where to get it from please?

Also last question for now. I decided to make the hospitaller crying. I have heard of some water stuff people use for larger dioramas and model trains. What is this stuff called and would it be applicable? And if not what could I use?

Brother Excedis,

If this is one of your first dioramas, I think you should keep it simple, that will yeild best results and give you an base to work from :)

As The Nephilim mentioned, it would be easier if you stuck with plastic - plastic is by all means far easier to work with that anything else....

I like the idea of a Sister Hospitaller but I couldn't see her tending to a Space Marine. I think they exclusively work with Inquisitors/sisters of battle...Space Marines, as I'm sure you're full aware, have Apothecaries and if you happen to by the Command Squad boxed set, it comes with not only a great plastic narthecium/reductor (commonly referred to as 'arm-thingy') but also some great plastic kneeling legs...

I'm sure you can see where I'm heading - A dead Captain clutching his sword at his side, massive battle damage ie bullet holes, blood, no legs etc. with the Apothecary kneeling next to him retrieving his geneseed.

I know that it has been done before, but it's a simple, easy conversion and not much GS need be used.other than gap filling or whatever, nothing to hectic. Still practice with the GS though, check out tutorials and the tools other people use. If you ever have a clump of spare GS, make stuff out of it, funny faces, plants, leaves, anything :D

As for the base I think the Dreadnought base would be perfect! :P

Hope that helps

Yours in Honour, Faith and Blood,

Chaplain Hiltraud

I greatly appreciate the input Chaplain.

Now I understand the usual fluff problems, but I really want this to be unique. She may not be tending to him in the sense that an apothecary would but still seeing a wound marine (I'm going to go with what one...I think Nephilim....suggested and do the captain thing) and wanting to do something. I will have to wait for the plastic SOB's and maybe I can shave down the base.

As for first time. I want to do this to perfection so this will be alongside other projects as I go so I can perfect the skills and also so I can get it exactly how I want it. This is something for her special because I will be becoming a US Marine after I complete my BS in mechanical engineering at Norwich University. So this is something for her that will be there when I'm off and doing my thing.

Now fluffwise I was thinking making this captain the Chapter Master (so its Captain Excedis instead of Chapter Master Excedis) back when he was a captain and saying they were fighting alongside the SOB's against some tzeentchian psyker rogues. I really like the idea personally but input is helpful :teehee:

Its not that I am not listening to you chaplain, I really am. I will be doing random GS practice on random hooha after I get these nifty little tools I discovered.

As soon as I get home I will post up a few pictures on the captain as he is now. I have him done build wise but I might do some more mods to him.

Thanks guys,

Brother Excedis

For the water effects, you need to have a fair sized quantity of it for the color, the tiny amount you would need would just make the effect clear, and it wouldn't look like tears, but a weird sido-plasmic jelly stuck to her face. Not very pretty. I think it might work better if you carefully applied ice blue to the corner of her eyes when painting.

Now for the bad news. Today when I was in my local GW store, the new edition of the white dwarf came, and it did have the latest news for the SoB. They get a dinky rewording in that WD with no new releases. We need to think of something else for the sister. sorry to bring the bad news, I wish that I had read the article wrong.

Well, if she likes the idea, go right ahead! Fact is, I did it for my GF when our relationship was still on the young side, she really didnt like it... But hey, that's just her (spent ages making that damn diorama, sawing, grinding, puttying, painting, urgh).

Cool man, looks promising!

I think the leg with the purity seal looks like it's at an unnatural angle though, I know it may be a bit of work but maybe a repose of that leg could be in order?

Everything else looks scha-weet! I especially like the way you have positioned the foot and the arm, he really looks like he is struggling..

As for my above post - discard some of that. I think that you need to go for whatever idea you want Brother Excedis! If you go for the ideas you come up with and go for gold so to speak, you will only ever get better.

Looking forward to seeing your progress :huh:

Yours in Honour, Faith and Blood,

Chaplain Hiltraud

I want to do the bullet holes after I give him his original unblemished paintjob so it really looks like the bullets penetrated afterwards and I'd have a better idea where to paint damage. However what is the best way to paint blood? I don't want to overdo it but I want it to be obvious that is is indeed blood pouring out.

Hey dude, don't lose hope on plastic sisters, there's been fairly strong rumors of a '12 1st Qtr proper Sisters Codex with new minis. Concerning bases, ebay is fairly handy, I use 60mm bases for my dioramas too, and there are heaps of good quality ones out there in alot of themes, it really depends on what you like.

Cheers,

Jono

Archived