SA regionals- Heat 2 - 2011

Morticon

Hey guys. So, as some of you whoe frequent the list building forum will know I am defending my current regionals title this weekend.

I was toiling and troubling over the list I should take, knowing full well of who the top players in my area are, and what lists they would be bringing.

I first opted and playtested a somewhat shootier, and less fighty version of the list that won me the last regionals

(batreps here: Heat 1

However, I found that although it was shootier (an aspect lacking previously), there were certain armies I would come up against and just be nailed hard.

One was a Woodcock-esque stealer spam list, the other was a Orky mob list, a nurgle/slaanesh chaos list and of course my usual IG nemeses.

Instead i toiled for a few days and asked the advice of a few people here and locally about suggestions and thoughts on going with a drop pod furioso instead of the shooty pred and a few upgrades here and there.

I settled for the following:

Mephy

Corbs

Furioso - Talons, MagnaGrap, Extra Armour

Drop Pod

10 ras - 2mg, pf

1x5 ras - mg, pw

razor - tlpg, lc

1x5 ras - mg, pw

razor - tlpg, lc

1x5 ras - flmr

razor - tllc

8 DC - PF, PW

Rhino

2 Atk Bks - 2mm

2 Atk Bks - 2mm

My first game was against a phenomenal BA rodeo list - which sadly I played like a complete muppet, and my opponent had a perfect game. My shoddy rolling didnt help either.

Lost that one.

I then went on to win the next two (vs. Nurgle-ish Chaos) and Crons.

I'll post pics and batreps tomorrow.

Sadly, it looks like im out of the running for first, but it will be a good 2nd day worth of gaming!

I'll fill you in on the other 3 tomorrow.

I'm not a fan of the rodeo list. You had a bad game. It happens to all of us .

G :P

Nah man, not to take away from the opponent - he played super hot.

His list was something like

Mephiston

2x10man Assault squad

2 or 3 small bike squads with attached attack bikes largely with melta (one flamer in there) all with fists

5 Terms with thunderhammers

2 Priests with jumpies and meltabombs.

Well good for him then. :)

I don't like rodeo lists for BA because it just seems like SM can do it better plus you're drawing away from the main strengths of our codex. Props to your opponent for taking Meph - often biker lists have no psychic defense to speak of.

G :lol:

Ahoy!

Came up against one of the best players (and 2009 National Champ) in my 4th game. Had a fearsome guard list.

Managed to get VERY lucky and beat him well.

Then went on to one of my two nemeses! Ashley the young guard player- also a horrible guard list.

Managed to play a solid game and beat him well.

Then went into the finals for 1st/2nd and came up against the other nemesis!!! The current top seed in our country. (also IG)

It was 5 objectives and pitched battle and I got first. Sadly, his 1st turn of shooting was silly good and every single vehicle of mine blew up or was wrecked. :tu:

I put up a good fight, but by the time Meph went down in the 3rd or 4th, I was out of destruction power and mobility that would allow me to not get kicked!

IIRC the one who wins the dice off gets to decide who goes first, not be first... (or did he win and make you go first?)

sad to hear though m8. very tough break to face not a nemesis but all of them <_< all guard players too.... tourney must have been boring if thats the only army that gets played ;)

what units did they run? im guessing its one of those boring 'vets in vendetta' lists that seem to fly around everywhere.... to be fair there isent a lot you can do against those lists other then shooting them down before they take out your own armour -_- they tend to deploy behind cover as far as i know so its not so strange to inmagine that things dident go well :(

on a small note, winning 4 out of 6 games isent bad at all :) and to me the most important factor....did you have fun?

I just didnt read that he stated he went first in his third game. That is just raw luck then if that's the situation. Not much can be done about getting first turn and still losing all your vehicles in his first shooting turn (happened to me before in a tournament, really handicaps you).

As far as the vets in vendettas go, keep in mind that a vendetta is on the same base/stand as a raven and cannot land. It's almost impossible to deploy them behind cover. More likely is that his opponent used his scout move and popped smoke (or turbo boosted) on them before turn 1 (as it carries into turn 1), then fired turn 1. Giving that thing scout and a 24 inch movement with melta troops inside is totally stupid, in my opinion. There's nothing on the board it can't melta pop in turn 1.

As far as the vets in vendettas go, keep in mind that a vendetta is on the same base/stand as a raven and cannot land. It's almost impossible to deploy them behind cover. More likely is that his opponent used his scout move and popped smoke (or turbo boosted) on them before turn 1 (as it carries into turn 1), then fired turn 1.

That was exactly the situation.

Added to that was the issue that I only had 5 units which could shoot the vendettas and if I went for the vendettas, I would be ignoring the rest of the army.

I needed to use my movement to get up as soon as possible.

I turboed one of my attack bikes and tried to melta zap the other. That worked and it blew up.

And I went flat out with one of my razors. This left me two lascannons.

Ill give a full batrep later but in short, in his first turn he blew up my dread, blew up Corbs' razor, wrecked the DC rhino, wrecked the twin las razor, and immob/stunned the other razor - almost everything with cover.

Was just an exceptionally lucky first turn for him.

Archived