Sanguinary Guard

Tro_lee boy

I have a fully painted sanguinary guardsman who's sword blade has broken off. I can't seem to fix it and so thought just to change it to a powerfist. My unit already has a banner and an infurnus pistol in it. It is in fact the standard bearer who has the sword in question

So my question is do i keep trying to fix the blade or do i change for a fist. If i change for a fist how would you recommend getting the arm and shoulder pad off.

Thanks in advance.

I have a fully painted sanguinary guardsman who's sword blade has broken off. I can't seem to fix it and so thought just to change it to a powerfist. My unit already has a banner and an infurnus pistol in it. It is in fact the standard bearer who has the sword in question

So my question is do i keep trying to fix the blade or do i change for a fist. If i change for a fist how would you recommend getting the arm and shoulder pad off.

Thanks in advance.

Did you use super glue or plastic cement?

I used plastic glue on those models

Fixing the blade can be very frustrating, I'd just put a fist there instead since it's useful to have anyway. The shoulderpad shouldn't be stuck to more than the arm unless you've been very generous with the glue. Try to weaken the bond between the body and the arm by driving in the tip of your hobby knife or drill using the smallest drill bit you have. Once you've weakened the weld you should be able to pry the arm off with just a little bit of force. Don't worry too much about getting the contact surfaces uneven or damaged, they are out of sight and can be easily evened out by using greenstuff. If you don't have any sort of modelling putty you can ghetto-fix it with thin sprue shavings that wil melt nicely once they come into contact with the glue.

If the sword's broken I doubt you would want to use the arm. I would just snap it off, most of the time it snaps at the shoulder where it has been glued just fine. But if you break the arm will you be upset? After all, the sword is broken.

Getting the shoulder pad off is a different story altogether.

If the sword's broken I doubt you would want to use the arm. I would just snap it off, most of the time it snaps at the shoulder where it has been glued just fine. But if you break the arm will you be upset? After all, the sword is broken.

I'd be careful just trying to snap the arm off because if you did use a lot of plastic glue there's the chance you might end up damaging the mini, not just the arm. If you decide to remove the arm you're better off just carefully slipping your hobby knife into the seam on the arm and slicing it apart. After the arm is off you should hopefully have an easier time removing the shoulder pad.

I'd be careful just trying to snap the arm off because if you did use a lot of plastic glue there's the chance you might end up damaging the mini, not just the arm. If you decide to remove the arm you're better off just carefully slipping your hobby knife into the seam on the arm and slicing it apart. After the arm is off you should hopefully have an easier time removing the shoulder pad.

Well that's a fair point. Just speaking of my own experiences I only put a little drop of glue. I don't how many times my 5 man ras has changed weapons.

Well that's a fair point. Just speaking of my own experiences I only put a little drop of glue. I don't how many times my 5 man ras has changed weapons.

Most of my army is secondhand, and not every one of the previous owners was as frugal with the plastic glue as you or I. I've learned at my own expense that sometimes plastic glue bonds stronger than the rest of a mini.

Plastic glue actually melts the two halves of the plastic togther so it doesn't bond it quite in the same way tha super glue does. I use super in all my building as you can fairly easily snap anything off.

I know from experience that pinning the SG swords are a bugger if you can't re-attach the blade then get a new arm from a bits store and you can either remove the entire limb and replace. OR cut the limb on the mini at the elbow or wrist (I know one of the sword hilts covers the hand) cut the new one at the same place and then glue. If you do this then it is worth spraying the new bit first.

It would depend on the arm you used, but you can always cut the hand off that is holding the sword and attach a new one. You'll find tons of bitz on eBay and can probably get he arm you need for a couple bucks. You wouldn't even need to pin it. I cut off a lot of hands and such when I do conversions. Good luck!

It would depend on the arm you used, but you can always cut the hand off that is holding the sword and attach a new one. You'll find tons of bitz on eBay and can probably get he arm you need for a couple bucks. You wouldn't even need to pin it. I cut off a lot of hands and such when I do conversions. Good luck!

I'd almost do this though to save painting time etc, I would remove the blade cut a new one out of plasticard and stick it on.... That way it involves a lot less work and you wont have to touch the paint job up as much.

Archived