Do you measure range horizontally or diagonally?

dizzy-xc

As you might imagine, measuring from base-to-base is largely impossible to do accurately as there's stuff in the way...namely, the models themselves. There is some eye-balling involved. <3 But I concur that diagonal measurement is appropriate.

Yep, that's how it is explained on page 82 of the BRB. But that is only for shooting distances. Movement and coherency/engagement distances are different.

Movement is divided between horizontal and vertical movement, so a movel that can move 6" could move 3" to the side and up a 3" level, or 0" to the side and up two 3" levels at once.

For distances to models of their own unit (for coherency and for who counts as engaged in close combat) you measure from teh bases of the models on an upper level to the heads of the models on a lower level. (So it is even possible to maintain coherency with models on different levels of a ruin with 3" levels).

Wow, I got screwed. This dude started the game on a building like 20 inches tall... and said range is measured horizontally. So his bad ass sonic weapons chewed me, otherwise he'd have been out of range if measuring diagonally.

Diagonal measurements with buildings:

- Movement Phase: Jump infantry (using their jump/jet packs) and Jetbikes only

- Shooting Phase: All measurements

- Assault Phase: Jetpack movement and Jetbikes only

Wow, I got screwed. This dude started the game on a building like 20 inches tall... and said range is measured horizontally. So his bad ass sonic weapons chewed me, otherwise he'd have been out of range if measuring diagonally.

He was mistaken. <3

Wow, I got screwed. This dude started the game on a building like 20 inches tall... and said range is measured horizontally.

That used to be the case in fourth edition — my guess is he hasn't read the current rules closely enough to notice the change ;)

Just for the record... templates do work horizontally.

There is a pic with a flamer and some nids on a right hand side page of the BrB...don't have it handy now.

Yes, but it does state that the flamer can only affect the level the firer is on +/- one level.

It's page 85 by the way.

Archived