A few of my paint jobs

Tolarius

So, I have been painting for about 6 months, and im looking to up my painting a lot.

If there are any experts out there who could give me some suggestions on making my pieces better I would be greatful

here are a few pics of what ive done for myself and for my buddy

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5373/img1082m.jpg

NON PA IMAGES REMOVED. Please make sure you read the forum rules before posting more pictures. Thanks.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6982/img1097af.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/img99/193/img1099cf.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/615/img1103i.jpg

sorry if there are a lot of figures, these are the only ones that are completly done. I figured I would show a variety of what ive done in 1 post vs several different posts.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Repost from the other PCA forum, I was told to post here.

They look very good! Were I you, I'd paint up the marine that's operating that Rhino's storm bolter. Even if his armor's supposed to be black, that Adeptus Mechanus shoulder plate needs paint! And his eyes: make them green or blue or something to contrast with the rest of the tank. :) The details on that tank look far too good for the marine to be incomplete.

To continue our discussion from before...

PA stands for power armor so only things dealing with Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Gray Knights, Inquisition, and somewhat Chaos Daemons and Mechanicus.

The rhino looks very good now that I know it is supposed to be Black Templar. Just need to work on the gunner and his gun and I feel you got it good. Maybe even adding a couple of details on it wouldn't hurt either. If you snoop around the Black Templar forum I'm sure you can find some of their rhinos.

My favorite is defiantly the last one which I believe is Raven Guard (best chapter there is).

Nice work. I think that your Nurgle related stuff if the best. The palette and drybrush techniques work really well.

In terms of improvement, I think that you can increase the brightness of your hightlights and the depth of your shadows to help the figures 'pop'. Also a good way to highlight black is to use a Chaos Black/Regal Blue mix and gradually add Fortress Grey to the mix to get the highlights.

Keep up the good work!

thanks for the input guys, im taking notes and learning tons of new techniques already.

I cant believe I never heard of this forum before....... so much helpful info.

As for the last guy, he actually black templar. I am not good at using transfers, and as far as I know, they dont come with them anymore. I ran low on bits and had to spread the shoulderpads out.

Although I do have to admit that raven guard is pretty BA....

Although I do have to admit that raven guard is pretty BA....

On here BA tends to stand for Blood Angel :) but we get the gist of it.

Good that you like this forum! I kind of crawled here to when it came to my DIY chapter and I discovered this great community of helpful people. Whenever you got a question or want inspiration this is the best place to be.

hahah excellent point

Now I just have to figure out how to make my BT army look more badass. Its pretty hard with the main color being black. There are soo many more things you can do with other colors.

Now I just have to figure out how to make my BT army look more badass. Its pretty hard with the main color being black. There are soo many more things you can do with other colors.

I know there's a tutorial on painting things black somewhere (it's not just a can of spray paint)... looks

search fu fail ^_^ sorry. My guys are in mostly black armor...for BT I'd recommend a modification of my own method. Something like:

• base coat with krylon black spray paint
  • dry brush creases/edges with boltgun metal for some "wear and tear"
  • wash with badab black ink to get it really black.
  • highlight (paint very thin lines along the ridges/edges) with codex grey, perhaps tiny highlights with white
  • go for a bright eye protector color (I do enchanted blue/dot of skyblue/tiny tiny dot of white)
  • be liberal with purity seals and other decorations/commendations

Without that tutorial, that's all I can remember.

Very good looking rhino. My only comment is that if he is supposed to be Black Templar then he should be done in their paint style. I know I said red before but that's only supposed to be the shoulderpad with the mechanicus symbol on it. And maybe making the red a bit darker. Otherwise the gun looks great. :huh:

Archived