Bjorn the Fell Handed

One would need to be a painter of high distinction to offer any critique of this, so I'm not going to. Great work. Well done all the way from planning through execution. Style, tone, choice of techniques. It's all working for me mate.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I really feel like I achieved my goal with him, since I wanted to stun the community, and make a good centerpiece for my army.

Good luck this weekend! Wish I could make it down!

Thanks! No worries, I'll be up at Gamesday for sure.

Now for your next mission.....a Contemptor dread :) :P "Make it so"

Haha, I've been thinking of that, actually. Though they are so big though, I probably won't do a SW one... I'm thinking something more... Thousand Sons, to be the foil to my wolves.

Enjoyed watching the progress. My all time favorite SW dread methinks.

Now for your next mission.....a Contemptor dread :wub: ;) "Make it so"

Yes please.

Absolutely amazing!!!!

O MY GOD

When Im browsing through the B&C there's always people posting up stunning pieces of work, that inspires me to get working on my own stuff. Then I come across posts like this and I just get blown away, I mean the Claw and Plasma actualy look like they are powerd up, and like others have said there is nothing for me to say apart from this Bjorn is PERFECT in every way.

Haha, I've been thinking of that, actually. Though they are so big though, I probably won't do a SW one... I'm thinking something more... Thousand Sons, to be the foil to my wolves.

You could say you are going to paint the stay puff marshmellow man and I'd be anxious to see it. :down:

But a T. Sons works for me!

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I ended up taking Best in Show at WGC over the weekend, so I was able to defend my title from last year. :D

I've got some touch-ups to do on him. Psyberwolfe and I got to talk shop a lot over the weekend, which is always nice, and resulted in an idea for reworking the one part of the model I can say that I'm unhappy with: the targeting lens. Hopefully that will push the model that extra step. It's not bad, but I feel like it could be better, and since I'm pretty obsessive about my comp models, you know what has to happen.

You could say you are going to paint the stay puff marshmellow man and I'd be anxious to see it. :)

But a T. Sons works for me!

I wanted to do a diorama for next year, and make the move into the fantasy category, but my wife has told me that I should go with what I know, and stick with walkers... So I'm thinking about scouting around and seeing if I can find a willing patron that wants a deep discount to commission me to put my modelling and painting touch on a Reaver titian... or at least a Mars pattern Warhound.

Either way, I'm going to rock that Contemptor at some point. Golden Bolters have to happen again eventually, right? :P

Cheeky question. How did you do your grey?

Prime black.

I start with a base coat of 5:1 VGC Cold Grey and GFA Raw Umber. about 3/4 of the way through the model I switched to RMS Stone Grey, which achieves essentially the same color without mixing.

From there, I blend down to a 5:1 mix of Adeptus Battlegrey and GFA Raw Umber, then glaze the deepest areas with Leviathan Purple, followed by a glazed line of Asurman Blue. (Got that part from DV8 awhile back)

For the Highlights, I blend up to my 5:1 mix, this time VMC Pale Greyblue with the Raw Umber.

I then use a very thin glaze of Devlan Mud on the whole plate, drawing it back toward my deepest shade. You may want to use 2 coats of the glaze, sometimes I use just one, sometimes 2, depending on where the plate is in relation to my light source.

I then come back when I'm doing my chipping and edge highlight with just straight VMC Pale Greyblue.

I've been coming back to this thread again and again to stare at the beautiful Bjorn... Trying and always failing to find something worthwhile to say that hasn't already been said.

I think I've found it :P

The patina on the exposed brass/bronze/copper is really impressive to me. The wolf head exhausts, the banner pole, and then every little nook and cranny with the exposed metal. absolutely beautiful.

Here's my latest piece, Bjorn the Fell Handed.

Awesome, I absolutly love the glowing effects and the banner.

The only things I don't like are the snow flakes all over Bjorn's body, there are too many of them to my opinion and some of them are in weird places: under the power claw or on the Plasma Gun.

But it's just a matter of taste, I wish I could do such a great paint job. Congrats for your impressive work. ;)

The sense of movement that you have conveyed is particularly inspiring- most dreads look quite dull and static. Bjorn looks like he could leap right off that base and tear his tiny pewter opponents to shreds.

Archived