Bikers - how many?

Montuhotep

Okay, I have as of the moment 4 bikers in my squad - a sergeant with a powerfist, 2 plasma guns and a regular biker as well - and am enjoying a modicum of success with them. Given that in my current scale of things I'm tight with a buck, is there much point behind a 5th Biker to count as an additional meatshield for the 3 important ones or is T5 and occasional turbo-boosting enough to keep them alive at only 4 models?

Opinions?

Well, if you have another model in the Squad & a Biker Captain then they can be taken as Troops, making them Scoring...

Not only this, but you could take an Attack Bike (probably with multi-melta)- it'll still count as troops, and an MM synergizes with the 12"-24" power of the plasmas.

Bikers are my favourite army; I own several full squads of them!

Losing 1 biker at 4 means a morale check from shooting. With 5, you have to lose 2, and that's a big deal when they fall back D3.

Also, drop the powerfist for Melta Bombs. Powerfists do not belong in a small squad, it never will get to swing. Give the sarge melta bombs and only melta bombs or nothing.

Adding an attack bike adds a heavy weapon (yey!!!!), and means you can take a plasma wound without auto loosing a bike, not a massive deal, but I always seem to take 1 plasma wound to each of my bike squads, who then flee in terror

Give the sarge melta bombs and only melta bombs or nothing.

Combi-weapons?

Ungh, so used to thinking about Ravenwing who can't get combi's on the sarges. Yeah, combi's can be good, a lot better than Power fists for sure, but certainly not a requirement, with two specials you can do a lot of damage as is.

Attack Bikes attached to squads should always take MM's. Heavy Bolters are superfluous because you've already got TL-Bolters on every bike, don't think you need that much anti-infantry.

I run the typical 5 man unit, though I have to in order to make them scoring with my bike captain. I always take the embedded attack bike, with a multimelta, and 4 normal bikes with 2 special weapons of the same type, usually melta or plasma. The attack bike is the single best upgrade to the unit, providing great firepower with a free wound. If I have spare points I'll add a powerfist to the melta squads as they are usually accompanied by the captain or other character on bike (so have an extra wound allocation to keep the sergeant alive in shooting and combat), and they are usually close enough to use it. I never have my plasma units closer than 18" to an enemy unit unless their firepower will finish it that turn. Most of the time keeping my bikes alive is the priority, my vindicators and typhoons doing the damage, particularly in the early game.

• 1 month later...
Adding an attack bike adds a heavy weapon (yey!!!!), and means you can take a plasma wound without auto loosing a bike, not a massive deal, but I always seem to take 1 plasma wound to each of my bike squads, who then flee in terror

Gets Hot wounds are not allocated lilke shooting. They affect ONLY the model that overheated. You can't shunt an overheat wound off on the attack bike.

Give the sarge melta bombs and only melta bombs or nothing.

Combi-weapons?

Ungh, so used to thinking about Ravenwing who can't get combi's on the sarges. Yeah, combi's can be good, a lot better than Power fists for sure, but certainly not a requirement, with two specials you can do a lot of damage as is.

Attack Bikes attached to squads should always take MM's. Heavy Bolters are superfluous because you've already got TL-Bolters on every bike, don't think you need that much anti-infantry.

Combis are wonderful. I run a combiflamer on the sergeant of my flamer squad, and a combimelta and meltabombs on the sergeant in my melta squad. The one extra shot increases your damage potetntial by 33%, which is huge when you're flaming Orks, or attempting to melta a Land Raider. While I don't personally run one (i run a plasma pistol, just to be contrary :D), a combiplasma on a plasma squad sergeant also adds a 33% boost to damage output. The extra shots can be the ones that drop a Daemon Prince, Trygon, Carnifex, etc.

Why not do dual melta bikers with a MM attack bike and serg w/ combi flamer?

Or dual plasma bikers w/ HB attack bike and serg with combi-flamer/plasma?

personally, my fav biker list is what I call the "Vulkanized" bikers. Run bikers with Meltas/MM's and sergs with combi-flamers, Vulkan in a pod or raider w/ terms, and a Biker Captain. All T5, lots of turbo-boosting awesomesauce, and twin linked everything!

Gets Hot wounds are not allocated lilke shooting. They affect ONLY the model that overheated. You can't shunt an overheat wound off on the attack bike.

I think he meant that they can take a wound from being shot with plasma and not auto lose a bike, since attack bikes have two wounds and plasma doesn't cause instant death.

If you were going to pick up another bike I would add my voice for the attack bike. It is about the twice the price of a single extra biker but it will add so much more power to yer squad, especially with the multimelta.

I think he meant that they can take a wound from being shot with plasma and not auto lose a bike, since attack bikes have two wounds and plasma doesn't cause instant death.

Ohhh, I see. The convo went from arming with plasma to suffering plasma wounds from enemy fire, and I got lost int he shuffle. Argh!

Archived