Infantry on flying bases

Grey Mage

So, when an infantry unit, or more precisely a jump-infantry unit such as Tyranid Shrikes or Gargoyles is put on a flying base do you measure from the flying base to other members in the unit, or do you ignore the base and measure from the model?

Im asking this on behalf of my LGS, who has recently gotten into a bit of an uproar over it for no reason I can understand.

Due to issues with models and bases not quit matching up, you should always measure from the base if a base is available and the rules say to measure from the base. If a base is not available, or a specific rule states otherwise, you should measure from the model or whatever specific spot on the model any specific rule tells you too. In the case of jump infantry on flying bases, most measurements are taken from the base, with the exception of weapons which tend to be measured from the where the weapon should be, or Line of Sight which is measured from where the eyes of the model (or other appropriate sensing area) are located.

When in doubt, read the rule book.

SJ

in the BRB it basically says measure from the base for everything except vehicles.

For shootings line of sight use the models head/eyes but this does not involve any measurement i.e. check LOS if yes, measure range base-to-base or place the flamer with it touching the fires base(not the weapon tip).

for unit coherency treat it like measuring a 2" ranged weapon accept for ruins in which case you can use the body of the model to make the 2' chain to the above models base.

the reason that bases is used for unit coherency is in BRB p11-12 in the movement rules-"models in the way" it describes the model(the space it occupies to be exact) as it's base, and p12 has the coherency rules.

Base-to-base with infantry, man; only place that changes is with vehicles. It does get a bit annoying when the top-down view of a jump infantry model obscures the base because the model has a creative lean to him (storm boyz are especially guilty of this).

This statement is completely valueless on this board...especially in reference to a poster like GM, who wouldn't have come to this board with his question if he hadn't already referenced a r.b. It's condescending and unnecessary; we are above that here.

There are also a great many rules where the books just don't do an adequate job of explaining them. See the Grey Area Rules thread or any thread in this forum in excess of two pages.

Base to base like the book says, so long as it's the base the model came with.

If someone started mounting Assault marines on flying bases (which are larger) for some reason (other than looking cool) that would fall into the "modelling for advantage" arena I think. Although I can't think what that advantage would be... :D

If someone started mounting Assault marines on flying bases (which are larger) for some reason (other than looking cool) that would fall into the "modelling for advantage" arena I think. Although I can't think what that advantage would be... ;)

The larger bases are a disadvantage: more models can get into BtB with you (this is bad as an IC) and you can't fit as many places (between other models/vehicles for movement and positioning). I'd allow someone to use a larger base than standard...but not a smaller one.

If someone started mounting Assault marines on flying bases (which are larger) for some reason (other than looking cool) that would fall into the "modelling for advantage" arena I think. Although I can't think what that advantage would be... ;)

The larger bases are a disadvantage: more models can get into BtB with you (this is bad as an IC) and you can't fit as many places (between other models/vehicles for movement and positioning). I'd allow someone to use a larger base than standard...but not a smaller one.

Although it does make you less susceptible to blast templates and increases the range of "aura style" psychic powers. Ten Grey Knights on Dreadie bases makes for one HUGE Warpquake.

Although it does make you less susceptible to blast templates and increases the range of "aura style" psychic powers. Ten Grey Knights on Dreadie bases makes for one HUGE Warpquake.

haha fair enough.

If someone started mounting Assault marines on flying bases (which are larger) for some reason (other than looking cool) that would fall into the "modelling for advantage" arena I think. Although I can't think what that advantage would be... :D

So you won't mind me mounting Canis on the large oval base? Hahahahahahahah!

So you won't mind me mounting Canis on the large oval base? Hahahahahahahah!

But Phil Kelly does :)

This statement is completely valueless on this board...especially in reference to a poster like GM, who wouldn't have come to this board with his question if he hadn't already referenced a r.b. It's condescending and unnecessary; we are above that here.

There are also a great many rules where the books just don't do an adequate job of explaining them. See the Grey Area Rules thread or any thread in this forum in excess of two pages.

I'm sorry if you found that condescending, unnecessary, and valueless. However, when in doubt, it does behoove the player to actually pull out the book and read it. The answer to the OP question is in the book, which I paraphrased in a way to include all models, from infantry to vehicles.

SJ

I'm sorry if you found that condescending, unnecessary, and valueless. However, when in doubt, it does behoove the player to actually pull out the book and read it. The answer to the OP question is in the book, which I paraphrased in a way to include all models, from infantry to vehicles.

SJ

Your response came across as snarky, and this is why it was inappropriate to get snarky with Grey Mage :

Im asking this on behalf of my LGS, who has recently gotten into a bit of an uproar over it for no reason I can understand.

He apparently gets it, but was asked to gain a consensus opinion on behalf of his friends/associates/feloow gamers.

Indeed, basicly it comes from the fact that gargoyles look really 'packed in' and some people were having them spread out a bit more... like around 3" between the bases, but that was only about an inch between the wings. Note- they come with flying bases.

So, despite my assurances that it would be ok- they just needed to be closer together- folks wanted a more 'impartial' source. Hence this thread.

Thank you all for participating.

Gargoyles are truly annoying to play with, in the end I gave up and made several moving bases ala fantasy to try and make them playable, worked fairly well actually. But don't try and move a large brood by hand, it just leads to arguments.

Archived