120mm Space Marine

Redfinger

IMG_5358.JPG

My plan is to base the model loosely off of the Sternguard Sergeant, the one with the power fist, yes this guy will have a power fist.

The pose will be a walking pose, some what reminiscent of this image. So bottom line is I have a lot of work to do. This guy will most likely be an Imperial Fist 1st company Sgt. Centered in the middle of his chest will be the IF emblem, and I am planning a couple of heresy style legs, studded, and his shoulders will be patterned after the Company Champion shoulders out of the box set. I am also planning on reworking the bolter to look like a stern guard bolter, and to sculpt a holstered bolt pistol, and as mentioned a power fist too.

Much of my inspiration for this project comes from a guy by the name of "giganticdark" over on "Cool mini or not" his WIP threads can be found over there by searching his user name.

Any way I will post updates as I have them! More pictures can be found on my blog, just click the link in my signature!

Ashton

More updates...

The head is pretty much done, though I feel like it is sitting a little high, and lacking a little detail. I think I am going to trim a little off of the bottom of the head, and see how it sits...The other thing is I may add some larger studs along the top of the helmet to give some detail. The three "studs" on the brow are hex-shaped plasticard, I chose that shape instead of round to give the marine a more "industrial" type look. In addition I think the collar my be a little too thin, and needs to be bulked out a little...

The torso is almost done sculpting wise, he does have a sleight forward lean, so I think I will switch to sculpting the legs at this point so I can get the over all posture down. The rather large gap in the middle of the abdomen will be filled with some coiled wire to simulate piping. The 2 holes you see just below the chapter insignia will have metal rings placed in them from which an additional armor plate will be hung. The round rivets on the neck piece are metal bb's, and again I went with hex-shaped bolts to get that industrial feel.

The chest tubing is reminiscent of the mk4 armor, I wanted to create an older looking armor, after all this guy is a Veteran and needs to have some nice "ornate" armor. I am still trying to work out how the power fist will be built, the fingers are going to be the hardest, my sculpting skills aren't up to that level of detail, and I think I could go made scratch building all the joints for each finger out of plasticard. I did have a thought of building a power claw type power fist, I know it is border line heresy, but something along the line of what an ork might have?

All in all this has been a nice break from the painting and building, definitely a challenge too my skills so far.

Enjoy the pics!

Ashton

IMG_5374.JPG

IMG_5377.JPG

IMG_5375.JPG

IMG_5376.JPG

this is looking so cool! i think the collar looks good as is- not to cumersome but with the reinforced bit further down. besides its only stopping anything getting to the softer armour around the neck! awesome work.

I am glad to see another fan of giganticdark, he has to be my favourite sculpter/painter.

I really like your own work, very stylish. I don't think you have anything to worry about the head positioning, i think its pretty much spot on.

• 1 month later...

Little update. I think the powerfist arm is a little short but it would be a simple enough fix at this point. The arms are a little funky at this point as they are just being held in with blue tac, once I get them pinned and the joints filled, it should look more natural.The next steps to do is to just start cleaing up and adding details. I am still not sure on what to do for the base, but I am sure inspiration will strike at some point :woot:

Ashton

IMG_5635.JPG

It looks so cool dude ! ;D Will it be a imperial or crimson fist when done ??

Looking forward to seeing the detail when you get there, can we expect dazzling ornamentation and loads of purity seals ?? :P

Imperial Fist, he is going to be a 1st Company Sergeant. The planned paint scheme will differ slightly from codex, instead of a simple white helmet w/ a red skull, it will actually be a white helmet w/ a red stripe, if the white proves to be too much of a wash with the rest of the model, there will be other spots of white as well, then I will go with a red helmet and a white stripe.

I pinned the arms and tacked them in place with a small drop of glue to hold them in the position I like, the pouldrons are still blue tacked, but closer to where I will have them. You will also notice the beginnings of an armor plate on the left thigh and shin...there will be matching ones on the other leg as well, these plates will be detailed with metal studs, I want the marine to have a heavy, reinforced look, and I think that will help. The belt will also be bulked out more to minimize that lovely hourglass figure. All in all this has been a really fun project to work on.

IMG_5641.JPG

I just ordered yesterday some 2.5mm steel ball bearings, these will be the basis for the studs that will adorn this guys armor.

Ashton

So over 1000 views and no one is interested? Oh well, I'll keep plugging along.

IMG_5661.JPG

So I have started on the pouldrons now. The idea I am going for is to give the armor a heavy reinforced look, so I am basing these loosely off of the company champion shoulders that come in the command squad box. Here is a conversion I did using them to give you an idea;

IMG_5452.JPG

Kind of a plate on top of the pouldron thing...Then I have ordered some 2.5mm steel ball's that I will be placing as studs on the reinforced plate. Basically I had to sand all the trim down, then build it back up with some plasticard, then I gave it a layer of aves. I have a lot of cleaning/filling to still do, but you get the basic idea. I am going to have to do something with the back pack though, the new pouldron trim, plus the new position of the interferes with the fit of the back pack. It will probably be sticking out the back a little further than normal, I dont think that is a big deal though.

I have also started on converting the bolter to a Sternguard bolter, however after closer inspection of the bolter included in the kit, I determined it was a little undersized, and the quality of the casting was rather poor, so I am in the process of building a new one. The next step is to add another layer of outer skin, build the scope and the ammo clip. Take a look;

IMG_5663.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG

I have decided for the base that I am going to build the back end of a rhino, and position him is such a way as to make him look like he is coming out of the rhino, that should be loads of fun!

Ashton

You've got a terrific model there, and I've no doubt it's going to get better still. Kudos.

However, I'm hoping i can convince you to widen the waist.

I know the plastic marines have extremely small (and round) waists, but that's a necessary (evil) part of their being multi-pose, and one of the reasons kit-bashes rarely look as good as special characters (or the old-school metal bodies). This problem is mostly overlooked because of the small stature of the models and the deforming 'heroic' scale they're sculpted in, but on a figure as large as yours I'm afraid it looks slightly unnatural (and not in a 'genetically engineered superman' way).

Here's an example of the sort of proportions I'd aim for (taken from the new relic space marine game, which I've found to be pretty good for 'realism' reference as they had to model characters so they could actually function etc... e.g notice the flexible torso armour instead of the rigid plates on our figures):

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110721102633/spacemarine/images/thumb/d/d6/Sm_titus_pose.jpg/640px-Sm_titus_pose.jpg

and here's my attempt to 'fix' the plastic kit, although I probably went a little too wide:

gallery_28868_1452_130812.png

Like I say, you're going great guns with this so please don't take my comment as a damning indictment of the whole project. It's just something I've got a head of steam about (obviously) and thought I'd mention before it was too late to change (if you even decide you want to).

Tsuro

You've got a terrific model there, and I've no doubt it's going to get better still. Kudos.

However, I'm hoping i can convince you to widen the waist.

I know the plastic marines have extremely small (and round) waists, but that's a necessary (evil) part of their being multi-pose, and one of the reasons kit-bashes rarely look as good as special characters (or the old-school metal bodies). This problem is mostly overlooked because of the small stature of the models and the deforming 'heroic' scale they're sculpted in, but on a figure as large as yours I'm afraid it looks slightly unnatural (and not in a 'genetically engineered superman' way).

Here's an example of the sort of proportions I'd aim for (taken from the new relic space marine game, which I've found to be pretty good for 'realism' reference as they had to model characters so they could actually function etc... e.g notice the flexible torso armour instead of the rigid plates on our figures):

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110721102633/spacemarine/images/thumb/d/d6/Sm_titus_pose.jpg/640px-Sm_titus_pose.jpg

and here's my attempt to 'fix' the plastic kit, although I probably went a little too wide:

gallery_28868_1452_130812.png

Like I say, you're going great guns with this so please don't take my comment as a damning indictment of the whole project. It's just something I've got a head of steam about (obviously) and thought I'd mention before it was too late to change (if you even decide you want to).

Tsuro

Great suggestions and thanks for the feedback. I actually address the issue of the waist in an earlier post, what you see is just the basis of the waste, it will be bulked out to look more natural.

Ashton

Great suggestions and thanks for the feedback. I actually address the issue of the waist in an earlier post, what you see is just the basis of the waste, it will be bulked out to look more natural.

Ashton

That's what I get for not reading posts more carefully. I look forward to seeing what comes next.

Tsuro

Thanks for the continued interest and feedback! So I have spent most of this week nursing a tooth ache, had a root canal done early yesterday morning, and I am back on top of things today. So I thought I would update some progress on the marine and bolter.

Other than a little clean up work on the powerfist and pouldron I think this arm is pretty much done! I used the photo-etch chapter symbol with the name "Sigismund" on it, I know who he was and what he did, but that is not whom I am trying to represent in this model, I am simply leaving it to "fluff" and saying that maybe this sergeant received an honor and was allowed to wear the powerfist that Sigismund had once wielded.....I dont know, but take a loot at the photo none the less....

IMG_5676.JPG

IMG_5678.JPG

Also, I made more progress on the bolter, now I am just adding a few detail bits here and there, and I am still stewing on how to mount the scope, I may shorten it, but I rather like the extended look. I dont know if I am sold on the aquilla's on the sides. In the Imperial Fist photo-etch set there are 2 smaller placards that read "Hammer of Dorn" I thought those might look nice on the sides, I will play around with it and decide later.

IMG_5682.JPG

IMG_5684.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Ashton

Archived