Magna-grapple assault shenanigans

thade

Units can't assault when they arrive via Deep Strike. Should a Furioso land (in a Drop Pod) it can fire it's magna-grapple...and tow a tank to itself. Now the magna-grapple rule says it stops if it comes within 1" of any other vehicle (friendly or enemy)...which I assume includes the Dread that just magna-grappled it. If that is not the case (tho I'm sure it is) once the models are in BtB the Dread still cannot assault in THIS phase...but on the following turn if that vehicle doesn't pull away from the Dread, it can swing at the tank...unless it stopped 1" away.

So I guess my question is, is there any reason that the firing Dreadnought is not included in that 1" limit? i.e. can the magna-grapple drag a vehicle into BtB with the firer?

I remember this topic as I've asked this question before, and here it is: Dreadnoughts, Drop Pods and magna-grapples :D

In the end we played it as it stops an inch away from the Dreadnought. Main reasons being that in normal play and inch is small enough to assault and get the bonuses, and that you shouldn't be able to assault after deep striking. However, the wording and rules are ambiguous, although I hope that thread helps a little.

as said above the normal 1" rule from the BRB applies and the magna-grapple has its own wording that mirrors the BRB rule.

so on 2 fronts no to assaulting with the magna-grapple and closer then 1" movement via the grapple.

it does not stop normal assaulting during the assault phase(other then the turn it deep strikes).

Archived