In Midnight Clad

KAINE-77

After reading the novel Soul Hunter, thought I'd have a go at painting a Night Lord Marine!

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j407/Khaine77/SAM_0047.jpg

Still WIP and can suddenly see a lot of errors, and am trying to get the courage to start the lightning effect!

C&C welcomed.

After reading the novel Soul Hunter, thought I'd have a go at painting a Night Lord Marine!

It does have that effect doesn't it :huh:

So far it looks good, I like the skull on the helmet. But the pic is a bit dark so i cant say so much about the blue.

Ha, yeah, really impressed with the book, onto Blood Reaver now...

Never been too keen on Chaos, or 'We're evil, cos we are, so there! Mwahaha!' stuff, but liking how the Night Lords are portrayed.

Hmmm. yeah the pic is too dark, that's with a daylight artist lamp shining at it too! :huh:

The armour is pretty dark, it's a conscious decision for the whole Midnight armour, but maybe it's too dark?

I'll see if I can manage a better picture!

I don't think that it is too dark, it looks just right.

and am trying to get the courage to start the lightning effect!
You don't need courage, you may need this however, as well as thin/good brushes and the knowledge that each 'mini-layer' needs to be smaller than the one beneath. :huh:

The armour is pretty dark, it's a conscious decision for the whole Midnight armour, but maybe it's too dark?

I'll see if I can manage a better picture!

Try to take from another angle. It might just be a shadow or something.

Looking great. Are you planning on doing anymore Night Lords? I would really love to see some more :huh:

@Nihm: That tutorial is excellent, just what i've been looking for to help paint the lightning on my Cyrion conversion.

I think it looks great, you've got a nice simple character there.

And lightning is easy, I get a thin brush and paint gray, erratic lines, then go over those lines with white making sure the paint begins to fade nearer the bottom.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Here's a different angle, can see the armour a little better:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j407/Khaine77/SAM_0048-1.jpg

Brother Nihm Posted Today, 09:31 AM

You don't need courage, you may need this however, as well as thin/good brushes and the knowledge that each 'mini-layer' needs to be smaller than the one beneath. smile.gif

Thanks for that, bookmarked and ready to go!

Your Night Lords are amazing, can I ask how you did the skin on your Terminator Lord?

Got a few more at the basecoated stage, so more to follow...

First time I've felt the call of Chaos, but definitley a convert now.

Right. Lightning... Eeek. :sweat:

It looks great, I love the freehand done on the beakie helmet. It does look like you missed on of the skulls on the pack though (left one in pic). I'm looking forward to the lightning!

I just recently picked up and blazed through both books, and have caught the bug. The Night Lords were one of the first to visually appeal to me when I first picked up the BBB. I don't know if I'll start an army, but I'll definitely make a few display models.

Good work! Better than I expected. You are wise to do a test model first. I would recommend efficiency over pizazz. You can always go back and add more detail, say the lightning effect, but you need 20-50 dudes to have an army. Nihm knows Night Lords and I think that was one of the chapters/legions that we did get a tutorial typed up for. It seems we are still missing some, maybe I'll have to volunteer to do a third...

I would say that you have certainly nailed the colors for the legion perfectly. I also love the skull painted on the helmet. Perfect and classic Night Lords. I can't wait to see them with some lightning on the armor. Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks for all the comments, a little more work done:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j407/Khaine77/SAM_0049.jpg

Still not managed to finish the first fella, but wanted to try out a pale skin tone... Got a bad habit of jumping ahead to see how colours work together.

(Hence all the half finished miniatures across the table in a variety of Chapter colours!) :)

Inquisitor Engel@ The Blue for the Armour is Necron Abyss with an Asurman Blue wash, then Ultramarine Blue Highlight.

Just wanted to give credit where credit is due:

As said, Soul Hunter got the wheels in my brain turning, but it's the amazing work that I see here that really inspires.

Check out Brother Nihm's, Dan The Deamon's and Brother Garrod's Night Lords... All very, very cool.

Those look amazing!!! The skull on the helmet is wicked cool and I would love a tutorial!!

Thanks very much!

The skull marking was done by:

*Blocking out with Dheneb Stone, a semi-cricle on the front and a kinda spade shape on the beak.

*Watered down Chaos Black a thin outline around the whole shape.

*Watered down Chaos Black triangle for the nose hole and teeth.

*Several washes with Devlan Mud.

*Highlight edges with Dheneb stone.

Now, in exchange, how'd ya do the white on your awesome Storm Lords? B)

I find beakies are the best surface to work on when making terror markings , ive tried it with marks IV and V but they dont have the sheer ammount of space the corvus does , looking forwards to seeing your take on them though ( should you do so )

Bit the bullet and tried to do the lightning!

Followed Brother Nihm's excellent tutorial (cheers), but feel I've been too cautious.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j407/Khaine77/SAM_0050.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j407/Khaine77/SAM_0051.jpg

Something just doesn't look right!! Too un-natural and straight?

Any suggestions? :mellow:

hard to tell, because the pictures seem a little out of focus, but it looks like the white area is a little to wide and the "surrounding glow" too slim.

hard to tell, because the pictures seem a little out of focus, but it looks like the white area is a little to wide and the "surrounding glow" too slim.

Think you're right, each lighter colour needs to be inside the previous, but was having real difficulty. Think the first steps need to be bolder... The white isn't fine enough and went over the other colours... Any tips?

Try a bit more wiggle in your lines. They look very straight.

Ha, spot on! Was wracking my brain to describe it, but thats it! More wiggle next time! :mellow:

Thanks for the advice!

Jagged/straight is good too if used sparingly so for this guy it works imho.

However,

The jiggly man, he takes the cake!

Well done. :P

PS. Wicced has it, smaller white lines do the trick.

Archived