Tactical terminators used to maximum effect!

rusty1109

My LGS is a regional qualifier for the Feast of Blades tourney on the 30th, and I'm thinknig of running this concept in there. I'll have to crunch to get five more Termies built. . . . but it should at least come as a surprise! No one there has ever run anything like this before. You should have seen their faces the first time I broke out my quad plasma command squad, I can only imagine this'll provoke a similar reaction.

My LGS is a regional qualifier for the Feast of Blades tourney on the 30th, and I'm thinknig of running this concept in there. I'll have to crunch to get five more Termies built. . . . but it should at least come as a surprise! No one there has ever run anything like this before. You should have seen their faces the first time I broke out my quad plasma command squad, I can only imagine this'll provoke a similar reaction.

Quad plasma command squad is on deck for me as well...and they'll be wearing JPs. :mellow: Gotta finish the apothecaries tho.

I would like to try a ten tac termi squad; but I'll need to paint five more terminators. I bet I can cannibalize the rest of my Space Hulk set for that purpose...

People should really not diss the Heavy Flamer.. It's my heavy weapon of choice in my 5 man Dakkanator squad. Aside from being the standard weapon in the old termie box, it also has great synergy with what I perceive to be the unit's main purposes in my list:

1. Kill Infantry.

2. Cover forward camping Troops or rear camping Heavy Support (who will likely be threatened by melee/short range units; step into this nice S5 template if you please, thank you..)

Sometimes I give them a naked priest. Makes them and the squad they cover a lot more survivable.

How many chainfists is enough. I plan on running 3. The 3rd is just insurance and for wound allocation to one of my cyclones.

2 hits on each cyclone rolled at the same time for total of 4 is not as favorable as 2 and 2, right?

I hope so, that's how i buildt the fig last night!

How many chainfists is enough. I plan on running 3. The 3rd is just insurance and for wound allocation to one of my cyclones.

I'm not sure, but three sounds good. Keep them spread throughout the unit (position wise) - one mid, one front, one stern - so that if the opportunity to charge a vehicle arises, you can get at least one chain fist on it no matter how spread out your terminators have become.

2 hits on each cyclone rolled at the same time for total of 4 is not as favorable as 2 and 2, right?

I have no idea what you mean by this? You get to fire two missiles per turn if that termie chooses to fire the CML over his other weapon (hopefully a storm bolter) and they can be either frag or krak (Str 4 AP 6, Str 8 AP 3). Two CMLs are definitely better than one CML, but it'll cost you.

Not me firing but recieving hits.

Example, each of my terminators take two hits.

Sgt gets 2, 2x goon with chainfist get 2 (4 total), 2x cyclones get 2 (4 total), rest of the goons get 2 each for whatever is left.

Since like models have to roll all their saves at once the odds of casualty increase the more dice you role for each allocation.

So, if I throw a chainfist on one of the cyclones, instead of the cyclone group rolling 4, they would roll 2 for the non-chainfist and 2 for the chainfist instead of 4 for the pair.

Does that make sense? If so, is it worth it. Granted it's only 5 points and you still get benefits from the CF so the price vs reward is managable.

I have no idea what you mean by this? You get to fire two missiles per turn if that termie chooses to fire the CML over his other weapon (hopefully a storm bolter) and they can be either frag or krak (Str 4 AP 6, Str 8 AP 3). Two CMLs are definitely better than one CML, but it'll cost you.

Oh and I thought that you could fire the Cyclone and the Stormbolter. Is that not the case?

I see what you're saying, and I'm too tired this morning to do the math for it, haha. (Someone will, I'm sure.) Here is an easier example to show when it is somewhat advantageous to have them wound-alloc'd:

Odd number of wounds: three left to throw on the CML guys. If they're identical, you roll all three as a batch...failing two, you lose both. If they're not identical, failing two, you might keep one (as you batch roll two for one then one for the third).

Since you would would to keep the chainfist and the CML up as long as you can, having them both on the same model isn't so bad. It's like having the banner-bearer in your command squad also carry a TH: he's the guy you'll want to take the fewest/easiest saves on anyway.

People should really not diss the Heavy Flamer.. It's my heavy weapon of choice in my 5 man Dakkanator squad. Aside from being the standard weapon in the old termie box, it also has great synergy with what I perceive to be the unit's main purposes in my list:

1. Kill Infantry.

2. Cover forward camping Troops or rear camping Heavy Support (who will likely be threatened by melee/short range units; step into this nice S5 template if you please, thank you..)

Sometimes I give them a naked priest. Makes them and the squad they cover a lot more survivable.

I like heavy flamers as well, and think it's a decent and cheap upgrade to give to a unit. However, due to the short range and their short movement many people feel you have to Deep Strike, and Deep Striking to flamer range with 2D6 scatter isn't the be advised. It's for this reason that I, and others prefer cyclones and assault cannons, the extra range is handy as you don't have to Deep Strike, or at least not Deep Strike so close, and you can walk them onto the board.

@Master Melta, yes you can fire a storm bolter with your cyclone, although it's unlikely when firing at tanks. Also, I'd day chainfists are best at 1 or 2 per 5 guys, no more, but at least 1 per 5 guys. If you take the 4, you will pay for it, but I suppose you could give one cyclone a chainfist, and another three normal guys chainfists for the wound allocation, but it's not worth it IMO. Just slap the chainfists onto standard guys so you don't risk losing two upgrades with one bad dice roll.

I like heavy flamers as well, and think it's a decent and cheap upgrade to give to a unit. However, due to the short range and their short movement many people feel you have to Deep Strike, and Deep Striking to flamer range with 2D6 scatter isn't the be advised.

Locator Beacon/Teleport Homer spam. <_< Admittedly, not applicable to every list/play-style, but it is something I'm considering for my next "Thade, what are you thinking?!" list.

@Master Melta, yes you can fire a storm bolter with your cyclone, although it's unlikely when firing at tanks.

Actually, I don't believe this is correct. Terminators are Relentless, so they can fire Heavy and Rapid-fire weapons as if they have not moved (even if they have) but nothing in Relentless allows them to fire more than one weapon a turn. Infantry chooses one weapon and fires it. Firing all of your weapons on the move is the province of Dreadnoughts.

CML terminators can fire BOTH CML and stormbolter, like they were a dread....sometimes I forget that....

I used my tactical termies to minimum effect 2 weeks ago. Had 5, one with CML. Reserved them - idea was to drop on the opponents objective after I baited him forward....The baiting worked....but the reserve roll dice did not. The termies dropped in on the bottom of turn 5, got one round of firing on a ork mob holding the objective. They made it just in time as a razorback had rolled all the way there, containing Cassius and 5 tac marines. The tac marines ran for the objective (around the orks) but remained an inch or 2 from contesting/scoring range. After the terminators fired, Cassius flamed the remnants and then singlehandedly charged the few remaining ork survivors, pulling them off the objective and then wiping them out. Won the game 1-0 on objectives at the end of my assault phase when the dice roll ended the game. Overall, I missed the impact the terminators could have provided for those 5 turns....and when they did deep strike in they were 10ths of an inch from the mishap roll....If I'd had a larger squad I'd have mishapped for sure. I had decided to reserve them in particular because it was a DOW game with our two objectives in opposite table corners. Figured it was the only way to make sure they were delivered...just did not count on bad reserve rolls spoiling the fun. If we'd gone further turn 6 would still have been a win, but turn 7 would likely have been a draw.

CML terminators can fire BOTH CML and stormbolter, like they were a dread....sometimes I forget that....

How? Is it something in the CML rules? (No codex in hand here.)

Yes, the CML rules explicitly state that you can fire it as well as the Storm Bolter

Yes, the CML rules explicitly state that you can fire it as well as the Storm Bolter

This, page 64.

Archived