Plasma Pistols

Power Fist, Lightning Claw, any 2 handed weapon (Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer, etc) cannot pair with a pistol for +1 attack.

Most 1 handed weapons ("close combat weapon", combat blade, chainsword, power weapon, etc) will get a bonus attack when paired with any kind of "pistol".

So the question is, what weapon was your model wielding in addition to the plasma pistol? :P

I feel I should note that single-handed Force Weapons + plasma pistol also get you +1 offhand bonus.

So the question is, what weapon was your model wielding in addition to the plasma pistol? :P

I feel I should note that single-handed Force Weapons + plasma pistol also get you +1 offhand bonus.

yeah a plasma pistol is treated like any other standard pistol for the extra ccw ruling.. the only time you wouldnt get the bonus was if you were taking a weapon that didnt stack with the pistol such as a power fist or relic blade.

however that then isnt the 'fault' of the plasma pistol it would be becuase of the other weapon, so if anyone tells you that a plasma pistol doesnt grant an extra attack they are talking rubbish

It was my sergeant, and he had a chainsword :P The guy said that it didn't because it got hot.

plasma pistols only use the 'gets hot' rule when they are shooting.. they have the 'pistol' rule which means they are also a ccw (read, not shooting)

And if it Gets Hot! in the proceeding shooting phase you still get the extra +1A, nowhere does it say a plasma pistol doesn't get the +1A for 2 CCWs if it Gets Hot! In times like these, ask your opponent to show you the relevant rulebook entry.

Furthermore, you can continue to use the Plasma Pistol in future Shooting Phases, as an earlier "gets Hot!" does nothing to affect the future functioning of the weapon.

V

I've heard some weird conjectures on Plasma weaponry before; in one of my first games, somebody tried to tell me that a Gets Hot! on a Plasma Cannon actually amounted to placing the blast template on the firer's head and resolving the hit there at Str 7 AP2. More common that Gets Hot! is supposed to resolve at AP2 (i.e. no armor save). Of course, neither of these conjectures are true.

Gets Hot! only comes up in the Shooting Phase, and allows both an armor and FNP save as applicable.

I've heard some weird conjectures on Plasma weaponry before; in one of my first games, somebody tried to tell me that a Gets Hot! on a Plasma Cannon actually amounted to placing the blast template on the firer's head and resolving the hit there at Str 7 AP2. More common that Gets Hot! is supposed to resolve at AP2 (i.e. no armor save). Of course, neither of these conjectures are true.

Gets Hot! only comes up in the Shooting Phase, and allows both an armor and FNP save as applicable.

I really don't know where some people get all this stuff. It just seems silly and if they read the rulebook properly rather than guess/make up rules then the game will go a lot smoothly.

Many people really do assume that the wound from Get's Hot must be a plasma wound but it really is not, as pointed out. Happened to me, too. Someone wanted me to just remove my Sergeants several times when their pistols got hot :P

Gets Hot! means that you automatically lose the game, as well as your next two games.

Just to clarify!

Any space marine with any type of plasma weapon, still gets an armour save if his plasma weapon gets hot!

It's not treated as AP2?

Any model, Space Marine or otherwise, gets it's armour save against Gets Hot! wounds.

I guess I just need to try em out. I cant remember a game where I've used more than a plasma pistol...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wrKA2FkteTM/TcVwvPxSbEI/AAAAAAAAAMA/QxeoqQ45eXA/s1600/plasma-weapons-demotivational-poster-1216259150.jpg

Just to clarify!

Any space marine with any type of plasma weapon, still gets an armour save if his plasma weapon gets hot!

It's not treated as AP2?

Any model, Space Marine or otherwise, gets it's armour save against Gets Hot! wounds.

Because Gets Hot! is an auto-wound, it is not an AP2 wound etc.

Just to clarify!

It's not treated as AP2?

Because Gets Hot! is an auto-wound, it is not an AP2 wound etc.

BRB p31 "gets hot!" "... For each result of a 1 rolled on its to hit rolls, the firing model suffers a wound (normal saves apply). ..."

rapid firing plasma gun can cause 2 wounds on the model(no wound allocation) and allows normal armour/invulnerability and by raw cover save if in area terrain but that ones is a different topic.

I guess I just need to try em out. I cant remember a game where I've used more than a plasma pistol...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wrKA2FkteTM/TcVwvPxSbEI/AAAAAAAAAMA/QxeoqQ45eXA/s1600/plasma-weapons-demotivational-poster-1216259150.jpg

Haha I love that pic it's totally how I would be if I used a plasmagun. Regardless of what kind of pistol it is, in the weapon stat line weapon type, pistol which reads in the wargear section "counts as a CCW" that's like saying if you miss with a Melta it's not an assault weapon and you can't get a charging bonus.

I really don't know where some people get all this stuff. It just seems silly and if they read the rulebook properly rather than guess/make up rules then the game will go a lot smoothly.

It's that whole "read the rulebook" thing. People tend to try and learn the game by watching games happen, more than we think. And for a lot of people, that means they skim the rulebooks at best--or try to infer from the codex (which they do read cover to cover) what the relevant rules in the main rulebook might be.

Cheers.

It's that whole "read the rulebook" thing. People tend to try and learn the game by watching games happen, more than we think. And for a lot of people, that means they skim the rulebooks at best--or try to infer from the codex (which they do read cover to cover) what the relevant rules in the main rulebook might be.

Cheers.

I agree. This may sound sad but when 5th Ed came out, despite assurances it was similar to 4th Ed, I still read it from cover to cover twice to make sure of the rules. Now the only rules I forget are the ones that rarely come into play. Each time I get a new Codex, especially for an army I play I read the rules through at least twice. Enables a thorough understanding of the rules and you're less likely to forget/make things up.

Archived