My first ever painted minature

So. Having recently got into the hobby and deciding to paint a dark angels successor chapter I have spent around 10 hours painting a very small and annoying plastic toy soldier..... AND LOVED IT :D

Obviously my painting skills are far inferior to most but I feel I can improve with some constructive criticism.

I have taken massive influence from nurglings Astral Claws and have gone for a gritty, grimey marine, I imagine my successor to be on a constant crusade (Templar like) so doesn't have much time to be polishing his armour.

Pics were taken on my iPhone as I dont have a camera.....

So C & C welcome (I've waited so long to type that ^_^)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r140/spr1ngy/image.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r140/spr1ngy/image-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r140/spr1ngy/image-2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r140/spr1ngy/image-3.jpg

To be honest, there's nothing wrong with it at all, other than the backpack is missing.

For your first mini it is excellent. There's no thick paint, colour is consistent.

To improve:

Might be the photo but some more contrast would be nice, maybe some mithril silver (thin lines of) on the armour's edges. Would like to see the white on the pads cleaned up a little, maybe glaze it with white (very watered down white paint) which will make it whiter but keep the colour underneath showing through a tad.

Drill the bolter barrel (that's a favourite round here)

If you are going to shade the whole model in wash, better to get a bucket of the stuff, army painter do tins of it. Then when you dip it comes our more consistent so there are no more shaded areas on flat that show up brush strokes.

Base it.

Maybe experiment with freehanding the symbols; though tac marking looks like you have already. Though you could put squad markings on your guys numbers etc. (when you have more squads).

And finally, keep it up.

I like it a lot. That is some great painting for a first mini, believe me, my first army looked like it was painted with all the skill and enthusiasm of a 5 year old. Thanks for the name drop as well :lol: I scrolled down to the pic first before I read any of the text and thought "Man that pose looks familiar."

Are you going to include any of the dark angel bits? robes, huge swords, winged helmets etc? I know you said you wanted to keep them gritty but I think it would look pretty sweet to have a few robes and such mixed into your squads with that color scheme. And I have to agree, I'm digging the turquoise shoulder pads.

Broken record speaking; for your first, that model shows promise. :P

As you keep going you'll find you'll get quicker painting up models, so ten hours per model will be something of a rarity as you progress. ;)

Keep it up. :P

Thanks for the comments guys :)

To address some points :

The turquoise is simply VMC park green with a watered down wash of Arz Blue and a wash of Badab Black. I'm glad everyone like it, i fancied something different than the bog-standard DA green.

To improve:

Might be the photo but some more contrast would be nice, maybe some mithril silver (thin lines of) on the armour's edges.

There is mithril silver along the edges of the armour, the iphone pics are just terrible

Would like to see the white on the pads cleaned up a little, maybe glaze it with white (very watered down white paint) which will make it whiter but keep the colour underneath showing through a tad.

I thought i'd make the white really grubby to portray all the mud and dirt kicked up by constant battle, maybe this hasnt come across as well as i would have liked

Drill the bolter barrel (that's a favourite round here)

Need to buy one of those ridiculously small drill bits and handles :D

If you are going to shade the whole model in wash, better to get a bucket of the stuff, army painter do tins of it. Then when you dip it comes our more consistent so there are no more shaded areas on flat that show up brush strokes.

Again, i shaded areas of the flat to try and look like oil and mud......

Base it.

next step

Maybe experiment with freehanding the symbols; though tac marking looks like you have already. Though you could put squad markings on your guys numbers etc. (when you have more squads).

definately on the list, thank you!

And finally, keep it up.

10/4

WOW!! Great first mini! With the backpack maybe paint it turquiose to give the model some colour.

I was thinking about maybe doing the centre of the backpack silver with the ball type venty bits on the end the green of the shoulder pads?

I like it a lot. That is some great painting for a first mini, believe me, my first army looked like it was painted with all the skill and enthusiasm of a 5 year old. Thanks for the name drop as well :) I scrolled down to the pic first before I read any of the text and thought "Man that pose looks familiar."

I gotta be honest yours is the first topic i ever read on these forums, the first 40k releated topic i had ever read infact! and your battle-worn claws just seemed to exactly fit my first thoughts of what 40k was.... So now my thoughts of 40k IS your Astral Claws.... remember, Imitation is the hightest form of flattery :P

Are you going to include any of the dark angel bits? robes, huge swords, winged helmets etc? I know you said you wanted to keep them gritty but I think it would look pretty sweet to have a few robes and such mixed into your squads with that color scheme. And I have to agree, I'm digging the turquoise shoulder pads.

Definately robes for the vets and captains of each squad and so on, huge swords on the hq, whilst maintaining the grimey look, not so keen on the winged helmets lol, but i do have a commander in the works that has robes, big sword, hood....... and actual wings ;)

For the backpack, if I can make a suggestion, I wouldn't paint it turquoise like the shoulder pads, to much contrast with the metal, neither would I paint the vents that color, I dislike the gold vents everyone is giving their Astral Claws, I think it looks silly. If you want to include some turquoise on the back pack how about the raised panel on the top/middle? Look at my Sons of Dorn for what I mean, I painted theirs white and left the rest of the pack black. http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...;hl=thunderhawk

Very nice. You also need to keep in mind that metallics are a little different to paint than standard colour. You can do sooo many things with metallics to change it up. For your next mini, you could try for yourself using a non-metallic paint. Or not, its up to you =) Very tidy for your first. Welcome to the hobby!

Archived