Angels Cruentis WiP

Long time no post. The Angron Piece is on hiatus for a little while, need to get some stuff out of my system first.

So I have been painting on this personal project for over five years now. The Angels Cruentis Graphic Novel.

Here is a little update on that one:

I have been busy with deadlines but finally managed to paint some more on the last personal piece I have.

Basically this revolves around three groups of people (and consequentially, three stories): An Inquisitor called Damien, Space Marines called Guerriers du Samdí and a Space Marine Chapter named Angels Cruentis.

This, belowe, is the first serious atempt at portraying some of the characters that appear in the first novel, revolving around Angels Cruentis.

From left to right:

Sosol, Master Librarian of the Angels Cruentis,

Haroth, Chapter Master of the Angels Cruentis,

Serf of the Angels Cruentis.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/195/a/6/adding_sosol_by_1mpact-d3qxvha.jpg

There are going to be several more characters displaying, as well as a background and some background characters....

About Sosol, the chapters Master Librarian. As you can see he isnt completely done, and neither are the other figures. but it shows some progress ;)

Nobody?

How about a closeup of Sosol? The Master Librarian of the Angels Cruentis.

This, btw, is from my graphic novel, that I have mentioned on occasion...

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/196/5/b/closeup_sosol_by_1mpact-d3rg5mb.jpg

still a WiP, so bare with me on some details missing.

Man that's awesome, they're almost photo realistic. I particularly like Sosols US Civil War-esque beard.

Cheers, I used Ruben Block, singer of Belgian Rockband Triggerfinger, as reference

Here is the photo I used as ref-

http://tvblik.nl/dossier/ruben-block

(incidentally, theyre a very cool band, look them up on Youtube. I recommend Live versions of "Let it Ride", "All this Dancin'" and "inner peace". heres a youtubelink or two Let it ride and all this dancing )

((then again, Im n old guy... I like this sort of music ;) ))

As i just posted on your Facebook page

Stunning work on the face especially, the horned skull also looks pretty impressive so far!

Does look a tad like George Best though, which to be honest is an awesome person to look like, being probably the best footballer ever to touch a ball. ;)

Hahah, people keep on saying that my guys look like people I just had not in mind at all when I painted.

George Best instead of Ruben Block

Mel Gibson (or Grand Moff Tarkin) instead of Michael Fassbender

Mel Gibson (again) for the Unknown terminator...or Jesus...lol...

But in any case. George Best is a good character for some 40k-ish painting. Not for Sosol though...he's slightly too sober for that... pun intended.

Cheers guys

These are fantastic mate. The Chapter Master does have a striking resemblance to the Horror actor Peter Cushing right enough, and his helm reminds me of something that Sub Zero or Scorpion would wear in Mortal Kombat. Truly epic drawings my friend! Would love to see the finished graphic novel when it's done.

Edemia

It does look really good, however the thing that really kinda annoys me about that last picture is the whole scale of the armour to the person inside it. Assuming a basic human anatomy with that last picture, the guy's feet are going to be encased in halfway down the lower leg, and his arms will also have that same issue, with his hands easily not getting much further then the forearm itself. Then there is the ever compounding issues of how the hell the person wearing terminator armour ever gets his arms to the shoulder joints, when they are obviously around ear level...but that issue is predominate in the miniatures as well...

kizzap

It does look really good, however the thing that really kinda annoys me about that last picture is the whole scale of the armour to the person inside it. Assuming a basic human anatomy with that last picture, the guy's feet are going to be encased in halfway down the lower leg, and his arms will also have that same issue, with his hands easily not getting much further then the forearm itself. Then there is the ever compounding issues of how the hell the person wearing terminator armour ever gets his arms to the shoulder joints, when they are obviously around ear level...but that issue is predominate in the miniatures as well...

kizzap

Cheers,

Actually, the entire miniature range of spacemarines, except scouts have that issue.

I have read up on Horus Heresy-era armour and their sizes, plus done some research into other artwork and notations.

Turns out that not only is Terminator Armour bulky and incoherent to anatomy, it is also bigger the older it is...

Angels Cruentis havbe a very old Armour-park, with little armour being younger then Heresy-mark... Hence the libbys armour is even bigger then normal term-armour..

I'd like to show the following:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:UthizzarandCult.jpg

and its not even as large as some of the descriptions..

Its the same as with heresy-era Dreadnoughts. FW just released one, and it follows descriptions and images of it, making it huge in comparison to normal dreads...

In the end, its a matter of personal opinion I guess, and I just threw anatomy out completely with terminator armour for my Angels Cruentis...

:(

Sar Haroth is looking suitably ornate - the filigree on his trim fits nicely and his left leg is just great (although the position of the knee looks... a little low perhaps?). :D

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/199/a/9/haroth_anatomy_preview_by_1mpact-d40ot7o.jpg

Since some people voiced concerns about anatomy.

I use a standard GW "10-head(Heroic)" anatomy. That is, normal humans are roughly eight heads tall, to make it more heroic, painters usually make the humans nine heads tall, GW (and me) make the spacemarines ten heads tall.

As you can see, this image shows the anatomy of the Sar in red, and next to it you can see nine head-circles on top of eachother (one is below the image, cropped out if you will). The only thing that looks odd about the image, anatomy-wise is the leg-armour, because it is bent differently then how the leg would go, and then only by a minute difference. These are things that I fix as I go.

With Sosol, the terminator, there is a similar thing going on, though the terminator armour was never anatomically correct. The arms just wont fit. Therefore I favour a point of view where the ams of a terminator armour is part mechanical (like in the teaser-trailer from Starcraft2) and that the legs have the actual feet of the SM before the foot of the armour begins.

Hopefully this helps a little.

I love these guys. The porportions are different to what I do, larger and bulky, but still look incredible.

Also, is the novel to be this quality the entire way through? If it is, that is incredible.

The Librarian reminds me of the Tank from Monday Night Combat a little too :D

I love these guys. The porportions are different to what I do, larger and bulky, but still look incredible.

Also, is the novel to be this quality the entire way through? If it is, that is incredible.

The Librarian reminds me of the Tank from Monday Night Combat a little too :D

Yes it will be this quality, tho it is not a comic. It is a novel with some added images, hence graphical novell.

Cheers!

The Librarian reminds me of the Tank from Monday Night Combat a little too :lol:

Yes it will be this quality, tho it is not a comic. It is a novel with some added images, hence graphical novell.

Cheers!

Ah I get it, fair enough :P I always think of comics whenever anyone says Graphic novel. Im trying to write a 40k comic, thats why I am thinking like that. :P

Keep it up Col!

Archived