How to beat Nids

I'm sorry guys, but Rifleman Dreads and Libby's with Null Zones are not good tools against Nids. Rifleman wound MCs on 3s and give them their armour save, and don't have enough shots for the little critters, while they can't insta kill Warriors and Raveners etc, so not a good choice unless you're a Grey Knight.

Null Zone on the other hand is awful against Nids. There are only three choices in the Nid Codex with an invulnerable save. The Swarmlord, and that's only in combat where you don't want him to be, and Zoanthropes and the Doom, which have a 3++. And as anyone who has used Null Zone against Hammernators will tell you, it doesn't work as well against 3++ saves because they're so easy to make in the first place. Plus, a lot of Nid players want to use Hive Guard, or maybe the Death Leaper, or Venomthropes or even Ymgarls, which all share those limited Elite slots with the Zoans and Doom, so don't expect to see a lot of invulnerable saves in the army. A Libby is still good though, thanks to his psychic hood being able to combat some of the nastier Nid powers like Paraoxysm. Catalyst and Warp Lance, but for powers you may want to think of different ones. Avenger is solid as it's a flamer template with AP3, so will do lots of damage, and fired out of the top hatch doesn't suffer from PotW. Quickening could be worth a look if you intend to charge Genestealers (which you shouldn't), while Might could be good for going toe to toe with MCs.

Everything else is sound, solid advice on how to take down Nids, and of course, prioritise properly. Except for Trygons MCs are slow, you can let them live for a while. Hormagaunts are deadly in numbers and don't really need synapse, while Genestealers are horrible in combat. Also target the synapse creatures to disrupt the Nid's actions.

Yes, sorry I even mentioned the Libbie. I've been playing against lots of DE witch armies recently and it has become as a sort of must-have.

A chapter master might be better, as an OB combines 2 things that nids don't like, high strength and a big pieplate (be gone you warriors).

Yes, sorry I even mentioned the Libbie. I've been playing against lots of DE witch armies recently and it has become as a sort of must-have.

A chapter master might be better, as an OB combines 2 things that nids don't like, high strength and a big pieplate (be gone you warriors).

The Libby is a staple against most armies, and even against Nids he can be useful thanks to his psychic hood. You may just want to find different powers for him

The big attraction of a Chapter Master against Nids is not actually his OB, although that helps, but rather the access he grants to Honour Guard squads. Nids don't have many power weapons, especially a horde army, while Honour Guard have high armour saves and a lot of attacks, perfect for thinning hordes down. A good squad against most things, I feel they come into their own against Nids.

Hmm. In that ase, a 4 flamers+LC command squad (especially a BA one) sounds better in my opinion. Think about it, 4 flamers to thin out the horde, lightning claws to make sure every blow kills and FNP to ensure they won't get killed by to many attacks!

All for the price of a tactical squad! Not mentioning putting them in a AC razorback, accompanied by a character and...

Another good unit. My favourite though for Nids is Sternguard. At the moment I use an 8 man squad with power fist, 3 combi-meltas, and sometimes a heavy flamer in as Rhino. So I've got drive bys. I've got bolt wounds for pretty much every creature plus the heavy flamer for the small ones, while combi-meltas can nail the big ones along with the hellfire rounds or take out Warriors easily. And the the power fist in case they end up in combat with the latter two. It's always been a good unit, and stands up there with Typhoons, Honour Guard, flamer Tactical Marines and Vindicators as units that are good in an all comers list and also very good against Nids.

I always take sternies, always! Against nids it's 3 combi-melta's, 1 PF (mainly for nasty carnifexes that survive the melta's), 2 heavy flamers and 4 combi-flamers. And as said Tacticals are used as I always use them against any form of xenos: flamer and ML. I'm not focussing myself on vinds simply 'cause it's against the background of my DIY.

Archived